A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Common Knitting Problems?  (Read 574 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blueknewtheshoe
Oogalie Boogalie Boo

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2013 04:11:03 PM »

Hey Craftster Knitting!

It's been a long time since I've posted anywhere in Craftster..... just checked my last post. It's from '09. Yikes!

Anyways, I'm a product design student now and have been assigned a project with the goal of resolving a simple problem task.
For now, I just need to do research and one of the categories of things (we get to narrow it down to 3 categories) is knitting problems!
Not so much knitting techniques, but... the other stuff.

For example a problem I was thinking about was unifying yarn storage and use. I tend to store all of my yarn in a box together. I also tend to knit without using anything to hold my yarn at all (perhaps that's its own problem)..... As a result, my yarn skeins are frequently tangled with each other, and later, as I'm knitting, sometimes my yarn will roll off the couch and across the room or some other annoying location. To solve both problems, I've thought about creating little yarn 'houses' that are stackable and portable. One skein/ball per yarn house. There's a little opening to thread the working strand through. You can pick up each house of yarn and carry it to another room in your house to work on it, then bring it back and place it in back on your tower of yarn houses!

That's just a little idea I have. Not sure if it's a necessary solution, as I don't know how other knitters normally store their yarn.

To cut to the chase, I'd love some feedback on that idea (which is in it's baby stages... actually more like fetal stages), and also let me know anything else about your knitting storage and processes that you'd like me to hear.

How do you store your yarn?
Do you carry it around to different rooms/ public places?
Any other simple problems you'd like to gripe about? (I'd love to hear them!)

And lastly, this doesn't have to be reserved for knitting. If you hate something about a task in your morning routine, or wish some product existed.... let me know!

Thanks for giving this post some time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013 08:46:17 AM »

I store my yarn in plastic grocery type bags in large tubs. I leave them in a skein or ball, so they don't usually come undone, even with several different yarns in a bag. I can't think how they would tangle together unless the loose end isn't secured to the main ball/skein/hank. I usually leave the balls or skeins in the bag as I knit or put it in my lap or next to me on the couch. If you wind center pull balls they don't roll around that much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Lolarennt
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013 07:41:17 AM »

How do you store your yarn? Lately it's just in shopping bags in my closet, though I'm going to bust out some space saver bags for my stash.

Do you carry it around to different rooms/ public places? I use various tote bags or purses. Nothing with Velcro. As for skeins rolling around, I don't normally have that problem, because I either pull from the center of the skein or wind it into a center pull cake. Another tactic to not have rolling yarn would be to keep it in your tote bag and just pull from that.

Any other simple problems you'd like to gripe about? (I'd love to hear them!) I have a tendency to yarn over in random spots making a perfect hole the next time I pass over. It's frustrating when I notice it a few rows up. Then I have to tink back to get it out. I'm sure there's a way to fix it, but I haven't figured that out yet.

And lastly, this doesn't have to be reserved for knitting. If you hate something about a task in your morning routine, or wish some product existed.... let me know! Nothing I can think of specifically, just wish my kids listened and followed directions better.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013 11:01:42 AM by Lolarennt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What was it like, in the end?"
"What it always is. A handful of yarn; a little weaving and stitching; some embroidery perhaps. A few loose ends, but that's only to be expected..." - Sandman: The Kindly Ones by Neil Gaiman
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013 10:27:24 AM »

I have a tendency to yarn over in random spots making a perfect hole the next time I pass over. It's frustrating when I notice it a few rows up. Then I have to tink back to get it out. I'm sure there's a way to fix it, but I haven't figured that out yet. 

Yeah, just drop the yo and the stitch that it made, the extra yarn from it will work into the nearby stitches when you wash or block it and even out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Lolarennt
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013 11:02:27 AM »

Thanks soozeq! I'll try that the next time it happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What was it like, in the end?"
"What it always is. A handful of yarn; a little weaving and stitching; some embroidery perhaps. A few loose ends, but that's only to be expected..." - Sandman: The Kindly Ones by Neil Gaiman
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 5 Stitch Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/3
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/3
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...