A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cotton washcloth makers! I have a question!  (Read 563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WhistleFish
« on: October 25, 2013 08:12:42 PM »

Hello!

A year or so ago I made a crocheted soap sock (kind of the same idea as a washcloth) and I was super excited to go use it...bought bar soap and everything. Well...I went to use it and the colors bled (I think I had used teal Sugar and Cream?) and I was discouraged from making any more washcloth type things.

I have a bunch of the cotton in different colors and I'd really like to make some washclothes for gifts but my question is: Is there a way to somehow "set" the yarn so it won't bleed? Or was it a fluke with the color? Are lighter colors better? All the cotton I have is kind of bright. I read someone that the bleeding can happen more with blue/green colors. Is this true? Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions on this matter?

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013 03:55:47 AM »

A washcloth is getting rather hard use, so the colours got to be of a good quality, not bleeding. It is not a problem I usually have with my cotton yarn - I would be disappointed and complain to the store, if it bleed significant.
  I know of no way to 'set' the colours - the only method I know is washing in temperate water, and adding a little bit of vinegar to the water, but it wont do for washcloths which ought to be washed at a high temperature.

Maybe you have just been unlucky with some of the yarn you bought. You could make a test, take some few meters of the yarn you want to use, and wash it with soap and hot water. If it bleeds, you don't use it for washcloths.

I hope it helps a bit - it is lovely to have handmade washcloths.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaylefrancis
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013 01:53:59 PM »

I second the idea to make a few test pieces to see how the color works. You could do gauge swatches and test those rather than make a whole cloth.

I've personally never had issue with Lily's yarn bleeding like that. You may have just gotten a bad dye set from a good batch or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014 07:59:11 PM »

Hi WhistleFish!

Sugar 'N Cream cotton does run somemtimes; I find that the red, dark/bright blues, dark/bright greens run the most (worse was Psychedelic Ombre..actually stained my fingers when working with it.. with American Stripes as runner-up).  On their website they do instructions for setting the dye: Craft your project, and soak it in a solution of the following: 1-2 c PICKLING SALT and COLD WATER. Set for half an hour. Rinse THOROUGHLY in water. Soak again in VINEGAR and WATER. Set for half an hour. Rinse THOROUGHLY.  I have followed these instructions for the American, and it did seem work.  Hope this helps, and good luck! Grin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014 07:59:30 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cajun Recipes - Grilled Chicken Pasta
10 Grilling Tips
How to Grill Steaks and Baked Potatoes
Strawberry Shortcake Recipes
How to Make Homemade Breakfast Sausage
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...