A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cotton washcloth makers! I have a question!  (Read 602 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WhistleFish
« on: October 25, 2013 08:12:42 PM »

Hello!

A year or so ago I made a crocheted soap sock (kind of the same idea as a washcloth) and I was super excited to go use it...bought bar soap and everything. Well...I went to use it and the colors bled (I think I had used teal Sugar and Cream?) and I was discouraged from making any more washcloth type things.

I have a bunch of the cotton in different colors and I'd really like to make some washclothes for gifts but my question is: Is there a way to somehow "set" the yarn so it won't bleed? Or was it a fluke with the color? Are lighter colors better? All the cotton I have is kind of bright. I read someone that the bleeding can happen more with blue/green colors. Is this true? Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions on this matter?

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013 03:55:47 AM »

A washcloth is getting rather hard use, so the colours got to be of a good quality, not bleeding. It is not a problem I usually have with my cotton yarn - I would be disappointed and complain to the store, if it bleed significant.
  I know of no way to 'set' the colours - the only method I know is washing in temperate water, and adding a little bit of vinegar to the water, but it wont do for washcloths which ought to be washed at a high temperature.

Maybe you have just been unlucky with some of the yarn you bought. You could make a test, take some few meters of the yarn you want to use, and wash it with soap and hot water. If it bleeds, you don't use it for washcloths.

I hope it helps a bit - it is lovely to have handmade washcloths.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaylefrancis
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013 01:53:59 PM »

I second the idea to make a few test pieces to see how the color works. You could do gauge swatches and test those rather than make a whole cloth.

I've personally never had issue with Lily's yarn bleeding like that. You may have just gotten a bad dye set from a good batch or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014 07:59:11 PM »

Hi WhistleFish!

Sugar 'N Cream cotton does run somemtimes; I find that the red, dark/bright blues, dark/bright greens run the most (worse was Psychedelic Ombre..actually stained my fingers when working with it.. with American Stripes as runner-up).  On their website they do instructions for setting the dye: Craft your project, and soak it in a solution of the following: 1-2 c PICKLING SALT and COLD WATER. Set for half an hour. Rinse THOROUGHLY in water. Soak again in VINEGAR and WATER. Set for half an hour. Rinse THOROUGHLY.  I have followed these instructions for the American, and it did seem work.  Hope this helps, and good luck! Grin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014 07:59:30 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Do You Dress Like a Hippie?
How to Pull Off Leather in the Summer
Best Tips For Preparing Your Feet For Stiletto Season
How to Wear Black Overalls for Every Occasion
How to Find the Right Bra
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...