A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Minion Mascot  (Read 1866 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , minion , costume , despicable_me  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MidoriMentality
[ midoriMentality ] & Randomly Taylor'd

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2013 03:45:48 PM »

For some odd reason I keep making minion things.  This is a Minion mascot-type costume I made for my brother.  If he doesn't destroy it this halloween then we're dragging him to AnimeNorth in this next May.  I don't know if this is violating the rules since he's gonna wear this multiple times.  we went outside to test it out, and wave at traffic/people.  he got a high five from a neighbour and some waves from random people.  This is my first attempt at something so big.

This was before i finished the sleeves and gloves.

The inner construction of the costume is made up of some wire mesh i got from Rona and it's "sewn" together with wire.  I cut out a face and arm holes and covered those with muslin, quilt batting and hot glue as a preliminary safety measure. I had to get one of those giant 4ft balloons and blow it up to fit it inside the minion body, then I paper mch'd over the entire thing with one layer of glue and news paper then did another 3 layers on top of the balloon portion to strengthen it.
some in progress shots:

I made a tube of yellow fleece for the body, made the top like you would a hat, and slid that over the top and tucked the tube into the bottom of the metal/paper mch tube and hot glued that inside.  I cut triangles into the arm and face hole, pulled them open and glued the flaps down.  The sleeves are attached in the same manner.

I made the overalls by making a pair of basic GIANT pants out of blue fleece and fitting them to the minion body, then after glueing the top portion of the overalls to the body I glued the back half of the pants to the body as well and added a long strip of velcro to the front so he can get in and out of the costume.  There is also a pocket glued on the front for fun and I painted on Gru's emblem as well.  the mask is cardboard and tulle painted (and he can still see out of the eye - you'd never know i used pink tulle) i put braided yarn on the top for the hair and used a tshirt for the gloves and strap.

Here is the video of him running around our street.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521906257903962&notif_t=like

All in all I think I spent about $50 total on this costume, and a few days for construction.  I went through probably 40-50 mini hot glue sticks and maybe 2 cups of white school glue on this and surprisingly only had 2 casualties with this entire project! (a little poke to the finger from the metal and a burn on my arm when I was trying to glue things on the inside) I can see why mascot costumes go for $250+ online.  I'd definitely do this again, I hope my brother gives me another challenge next year.

If you read all this Thank you! and as always C&C are much appreciated.

***EDIT***

My brother loves wearing his minion costume so much that he put the fake moustache and hat on and became an undercover minion.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013 06:49:41 PM by MidoriMentality - Reason: new photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Magpirate
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013 05:43:41 PM »

I love it!  I watched your video, and it was hilarious to see a giant minion running down the road.  You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013 08:40:56 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  You're really a talented young lady!!  That video made me giggle LOL!  Fabulous job on the outfit and I am partial to the Kyle's of the world as I named my son that...30 years ago  Grin  I just had my big craft fair today and I had made a bunch of minion fleece hats and they sold like crazy!  Keep up the  great minion work  Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
yoopidou

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013 01:00:16 AM »

Great costume. It's very creative.
The video is quite fun too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013 07:40:39 AM »

Congratulations! This has been chosen as a Featured Project!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
paypahchasa
Get Your Craft On!

Get Your Craft On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013 11:23:02 AM »

this looks like it was so much fun to make Smiley great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Master the Perfect Smoky Eye
Marianna Hewitt: The Best Way to Remove Stuck on Eye Makeup
Megan Moore: Empties Challenge
Mallory Cornelison: Empties Challenge
Birchbox May 2014 Sneak Peek
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...