A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anniversary Challenge - Uthando Project doll  (Read 1183 times)
Tags for this thread: craftsters_10th_anniversary_cross_category_challenge  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LovelyMiss
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 07, 2013 07:06:03 AM »

To me, Craftster means inspiration.  Of course there is always inspiration for new projects, but there is also inspiration to challenge myself, to socialize, to failand to try again, to craft for good causes, to send things to strangers across the world, to share, and at the end of the day, inspiration to really just be a better person.

This doll is for the Uthando Project, and I think it really encapsulates my Craftster experience.

I learned of the Uthando Project from ScrappySue in a Craftalong thread.  I was deeply moved by the organization and the generosity and creativity my fellow crafters.

The pattern I used for this doll is provided by the Uthando Project, but I learned the basics of doll making from many wonderful projects and tutorials posted on this site.  One of the best lessons:  little stitches for little things!

I received the red yarn from kbrison in a swap, and the hair style was completely inspired by all of the amazing poppets around here.  Actually, I think awesome poppet hair is what made me want to try making dolls in the first place!

I did the face with Elmers Painters, which I learned about from the Master Craftsters series!

I learned how to knit, and am slowly improving my sewing skills, because of all of the awesome projects on Craftster (that I wanted to emulate)!

For each doll I make I include a drawstring bag made from a fat quarter.  When I first started visiting this site, I didnt even know what a fat quarter was yet!  I thought everyone was talking about chucky coins and couldnt imagine what that might have to do with sewing.  Tongue

Ive always been artsy and crafty, but in the past I never appreciated my skill enough to bother taking photos.  I rarely showed my projects to anyonein fact it took me at least five years to get over my self-consciousness enough to even sign up for a Craftster account!  Since then Craftster has inspired me to not only take photos, but to actually turn on a light while doing itand then to share, because, just maybe, it could inspire someone else, too!

Thank you, Craftster, and everyone who makes this such a unique and magical place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013 09:58:25 AM »

What a lovely gift for a child with those super clothes and the bag to store her in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013 12:12:21 PM »

So many facets of Craftster incorporated in one post! Your doll is beautiful and a wonderful source of inspiration for others! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013 01:26:06 PM »

LovelyMiss--I am so glad you mustered up the courage to join this community and show off your crafts!  I teared up a bit reading your story...my first thought was how generous you and so many of our members are to each other and others not as fortunate.

Your dolls are beautiful...you can see the care you have given each tiny detail...I love the hair!

Excellent submission...oh, and I am happy to be on your team in the Nerds Summer Games...you have been inspirational and a great cheerleader! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kcli
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013 04:44:14 PM »

What a wonderful write-up and a fun gift.  You should be very proud of your achievements!

Nice job Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LovelyMiss

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013 10:24:48 AM »

Thank you for the kind words!  Aww, alwaysinmyroom, it's people like you that made me finally sign up to play along on Craftster!  You're so thoughtful and generous.  I'm glad we're on the same Nerd Games team, too!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013 10:36:37 AM »

Your dolls are always so wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PennyX
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013 03:05:07 PM »

These dolls are really lovely, and will be hugely appreciated. I know how long they must have taken you because I am making dolls for Uthando, too,  and have just completed one, a grandmother with about six outfits so far. I'm learning from my mistakes as I go along and would love your knit pattern for that little jumper sometime. And I love the hairstyles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LovelyMiss

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013 08:43:56 AM »

These dolls are really lovely, and will be hugely appreciated. I know how long they must have taken you because I am making dolls for Uthando, too,  and have just completed one, a grandmother with about six outfits so far. I'm learning from my mistakes as I go along and would love your knit pattern for that little jumper sometime. And I love the hairstyles!

Thanks, PennyX!  That's so awesome that you're making dolls for Uthando, and especially a grandma doll, with the important role grandmothers play in a lot of the children's lives.  I've been wanting to put together a whole family, but I'm having a hard time not getting wrapped up in the fun of doing these girly dolls.  I'm taking a little bit of a break at the moment because I'm just about to ship out a dozen dolls, and since I'm not in Australia it's pretty spendy to send them right to Africa.  

I'd be happy to tell you how I made the little vest/sweater, but I am still pretty new to knitting and don't know how to write knitting patterns.  I make up all of the clothes as I go along, too, so I can't just easily point you somewhere else for that info!

I use US 10 needles, and usually try to pick out chunky yarns because they knit up faster.  Wink

First, I just purl a complete square/rectangle.  It usually ends up being about 20 rows, and about 12-15 stitches across, depending on the yarn.  I measure it to each doll, since mine tend to vary in size a bit.  This will be the back of the vest.  Then I make the two front pieces.  

To figure out how many stitches to cast on, I just divide the stitch number of the back piece by two and add one (so there is room for the button).  So for a 12 stitch, 20 row back piece, I will cast on 7 stitches.  Then purl until about the 13th row.  I then decrease the next 3-4 rows by one stitch at the end of the row (all on the same side to get the slope).  Purl the last couple rows (to get to 20, or how ever many rows your back piece is) and cast off the last 3-4 stitches.  Now the first front side piece is done.  Repeat the same process for the second piece.  

The pieces end up looking something like this:

After I am finished knitting the three pieces, I just sew them together tightly with a similarly colored embroidery floss (I use all 6 strands).  I stitch the tops of the front pieces to the top of the back piece, and then do the sides, leaving big arm holes so it is easy to get on and off (again I measure it to each doll).  I usually make the sewn edges the inside (sew and then turn it out), but I've found it looks okay if you leave the sewn edges on the outside, too.  I also attach the button with embroidery floss, and just use one of the holes between stitches as the button hole.  That's it!  Super simple!

Sorry for the silly images.  Like I said, I just recently finished up the last few dolls I've been working on so all of the vests are already completed, so I couldn't take real progress photos.  Cheesy

Here is a link to some photos of other dolls with those vests so you can get more visuals.  I used two tiny buttons instead of one big one on some of the sweaters: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=421764.0#axzz2ODu7FVJc

I also did a quick tutorial for the fabric bags, if anyone is interested.  Smiley  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427772.0
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013 10:19:01 AM by LovelyMiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Cupless Lingerie
Celebrity Tips on Selecting Push Up Bras
Selecting Push Up Bras for Full Breasted Women
Celebrity Tips on Selecting Bras
Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell Fete the Olympics in Style
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...