A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,377
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More Christmas tags - for the 12 days of Christmas... (many pics)  (Read 569 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 23, 2013 05:10:26 AM »

After being energized from making the first set of tags, I decided I wanted to make some more and went with making a few sets for the 12 days of Christmas - for one of the swaps I am currently in.  I came up with 4 different sets, each one numbered for the 12 days, for each of the 12 items I am crafting/sending.

Unlike the first set, these were all double-sided, with the same design on either side, so they could be hung - and I added a mini tag for any brief note I want to add.  Again the base was a large manila shipping tag.

First set - the Joy...

These were all started with a wash of silver acrylic paint across the paint, then I experimented with embossing on top of embossing.  There was a bit of a challenge with embossing over itself, or on a two sided item - namely you have to hold the card up as the embossing on both sides will heat up and you will mar it if you lay it down to heat.

I clear embossed the JOY on so that the silver wash would show through, and then green embossed the tree over it.  Then I inked a variety of greens over the tag, except I blocked the tree off so that it would still allow the silver to gently show through - it made the background seem to glow a bit.

I die-cut the numbers and decorated them in different styles before numbering the tags.

Second set - Oh dear!

Again, this was playing with embossing on two sides and embossing on top of embossing, with multiple colours.  I did the snowy background again, with the clear embossing of the snowflakes on a swirled white background.  Then I embossed the tree on in green, and the deer on in a metallic copper.

I was happy how this turned out - it was more a winter scene than "Christmas" per se - and probably one of DH's favourite because he loves the nature theme.

Set three - seeing red...

The next was done because I wanted something very visually different from the others I made - so I went with red.

So I did a swirl of white acrylic over a small portion of the tag, where I stamped the sentiment, then added embossed ornaments in gold.  I inked the entire card in red, with a bit of black/gray along the edges. 

Fourth set - back to the beginning...

I went back to the original tag design I had made before, and made a few little changes.  Namely I added a bit more texture with the acrylic white swirl - less blending, and tried to leave a bit more manila showing at the edges as the bare paper absorbs the ink differently.  I tried.  Also, the original does were die cut from aluminum foil that was inked.  I added dimensional mod podge for a clear coat to those and they looked nice.  I die cut some of the numbers and the does here from the inked aluminum foil, but added some crackle medium, then played a bit more with it - which lead to  couple of different looks. 

I really like the texture of the crackle, and how it made the pale blue numbers look icy.

There are some complications to crackling on the metallic tape - but I figured out ways to make it work for me - if anyone else is interested in trying this technique to make your own metallic/metallic crackle stickers, I posted about it on my blog as a separate post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
lindyv321

That is sooo Craftastic!

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013 10:06:36 AM »

These are gorgeous! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013 03:06:11 PM »

And you have made more! They are lovely, too! You put so much thought and energy into them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013 08:19:55 PM »

Oh WOW these are gorgeous..  man, am I excited to be swapping cards with you in the Holiday ATC Swap!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • June Ongoing ATC Swap
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013 04:11:15 AM »

Thank you - I hope I meet your expectations for that swap - it makes me a bit anxious.  But I felt this would be good practice working on backgrounds and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Working with the New Basics Panel
How to Draw Gemma Arterton from Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters
How to Draw Rukia Kuchiki from Bleach
How to Draw Harry Potter
How to Draw Santa Claus from Rise of The Guardians
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...