A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: top/tunic/dress (?) [clearly, I have not thought the type of garment through.  (Read 1144 times)
Tags for this thread: tunic  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gaylefrancis
« on: October 19, 2013 08:24:21 PM »

Made with an I-hook, 4 skeins of Red Heart Soft, and a bunch of crocodile stitch. I worked from the bottom up, doing the bottom crocodile stitches first, then double crocheting until the mid-point on my hips. At that point, I did a few rounds of single crochet because it helps lengthen my torso and doesn't make me look quite so top-heavy.

Once that was complete, I went back to double crochet, then fastened off under my arms and did the armholes in three parts (left front, right front, and the back piece all at once. I seamed those together to make the neckline, and that gets us to picture one.

To get to picture two, I made two sleeve caps starting with a single crocodile stitch and increasing as I worked up. Then I did a round of single crochet around the neckline and then worked crocodile stitches all the way around, decreasing a couple of times as I added rows to better shape the neck. Lastly, I attached the sleeve caps using a slip stitch seam, and boom. Tunic or top or minidress or however I'll end up wearing it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013 12:05:42 AM »

I rocked you!!!! This is a wonderful job. Not real fond of the color, but you perhaps like it. I would love to see one in PURPLE!!!! Great stitching, great tutorial, and a great way to fashion a wonderful garment. Sounds like you modified things a bit, and didn't actually follow a real pattern, and that is GREAT! It shows that you know what you are doing, and how to get there. I hope you enjoy wearing it, and get many compliments on it.  Grin

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
gaylefrancis
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013 12:19:03 AM »

I rocked you!!!! This is a wonderful job. Not real fond of the color, but you perhaps like it. I would love to see one in PURPLE!!!! Great stitching, great tutorial, and a great way to fashion a wonderful garment. Sounds like you modified things a bit, and didn't actually follow a real pattern, and that is GREAT! It shows that you know what you are doing, and how to get there. I hope you enjoy wearing it, and get many compliments on it.  Grin

~T

Thank you so much! The color is actually a dark teal, which I don't think shows up quite right in the pics. The only reason it's not purple is because I have so much purple in my wardrobe at this point I intentionally don't use it a lot. Smiley

It's actually a completely improvised pattern. I learned how to stitch to my measurements thanks to a great pencil skirt tutorial from way back:

http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/88273.aspx

And then a lot of trial and error translating the lessons from that tutorial into other garments. Still not quite solid on sleeve construction, but I'm getting there.

I'm so glad you liked it so much! I have gotten a couple of compliments on it, and that's always nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013 12:36:40 AM »

This is great.  I love crochet dresses and I am impressed at the way you used the crocodile stitch so effectively. It is not a stitch that inspires me at all but I love the way you have used it at the neckline, sleeves and hem so perhaps I need to look again at using it myself.
And thank you very much for the link to the tutorial.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013 12:38:17 AM by elderflower » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaylefrancis
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013 12:42:41 AM »

This is great.  I love crochet dresses and I am impressed at the way you used the crocodile stitch so effectively. It is not a stitch that inspires me at all but I love the way you have used it at the neckline, sleeves and hem so perhaps I need to look again at using it myself.
And thank you very much for the link to the tutorial.

I was not particularly enthused with the stitch when I first saw it, but then I wanted to learn it just to learn it and it's grown on me a lot. I think it's a great statement stitch and don't find myself loving stuff where it's the only stitch, but it's definitely got its uses.

Hope the tutorial is helpful! It was a real eye-opener for me on how to understand gauge and how I could use it to make things that fit me the way I wanted them to fit just by knowing how many stitches per inch and how many inches I was around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013 09:56:17 AM »

Really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaylefrancis
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013 11:06:38 AM »

Really pretty!

Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AugustBell
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013 06:56:53 AM »

This is absolutely gorgeous!! You are going to get lots of compliments this Fall and Winter in that baby. So pretty, and I love the color!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaylefrancis
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013 09:50:16 AM »

This is absolutely gorgeous!! You are going to get lots of compliments this Fall and Winter in that baby. So pretty, and I love the color!!!

Thank you! I've gotten a few compliments already, and it's a giddy little thrill every time, you know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GumInMyHair
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013 06:41:24 AM »

I like this so much!! One of my favorite things in the world is to see clothing people design with crochet. This post makes me happy   Smiley

It turned out great, and fits you perfectly. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Does a Blind Gymnast Compete?
Can Liquid Eyeliner Cause a Sinus Infection?
Testing for Glaucoma
Seeing Clearly Now: The Truth About LASIK
Marlee Matlin’s Vision Scare
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...