A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Candy Corn Picture Frame  (Read 522 times)
Tags for this thread: candy_corn  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheGlobalChameleon
« on: October 17, 2013 10:56:16 PM »

Tonight I got together with my girlfriends for a wine & craft night and we decided to make candy corn picture frames!

These are so simple to make!  I went to the dollar store and bought picture frames, school glue and candy corn.

My girlfriends and I caught up on our lives and gabbed while we made these- we had so much fun!

I glued my candy corn down in a pattern I was happy with and let dry.  Unfortunately the school glue didn't work very well as the candy corns kept slipping off!  I used some craft glue from Michaels instead and it worked much better but I am thinking that something like Elmers glue would work even better.

I loved the way the picture frame turned out but the frame won't keep for very long as it is very easy for the candy corn to melt- does anyone have advice on how to make it keep better?  Maybe some kind of adhesive to spray over the entire frame?

Here is a link to the tutorial I posted on my blog for some more pictures- my cousin kept eating the candy corn off of her frame!  Hope you enjoy and any other advice would be great Smiley
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013 10:57:01 PM by TheGlobalChameleon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013 11:26:21 PM »

Candy will never "keep", but great for a temporary holiday craft. You can try spraying it with an acrylic sealant to add a bit of time, but I would not recommend keeping it in a box for the next year. It could draw BUGS!!!!.

If you want "corns" that stay until the next season, look into getting some clay (FIMO bake clay, for example...or even paper clay that you could paint) and make your own "corns" from that. My favorite glue is Loctite Gel Adhesive, though there are several others out there that many crafters love. Locktite is not a quick cure glue, so it needs to dry flat for a while. But would be a permanent method. Even Elmers can break down if stored in a damp or hot attic. You want a silicone based adhesive that is clear, but a bit pliable for this project. At least that is what I would select, and have had good results with. Hope this helps.

You and your friends look like you had lots of fun with this project. Good job, and enjoy them for the holiday!

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Naantje
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013 01:30:33 AM »

You could take the approach Epbot used and go with epoxy resin: http://www.epbot.com/2010/10/crafty-candy-bracelet.html

Looks fun Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013 06:33:03 AM »

So cute!  Would love if you would share some of the other party photos here, too!  Those are THE BEST.  What a fun craft night!

I was going to suggest resin, too, but I do love the idea of making your own from clay as well.

Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
TheGlobalChameleon
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013 08:46:52 AM »

I don't plan on keeping it past October regardless of the glue- i'm too scared of little creatures getting it!  But I will try again with the temporary glue suggestions- thanks!!!

Using clay is a great idea and just gave me so many more ideas as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
January Jones Reveals Her Must Have Beauty Products
5 Must Have Beauty Devices
Bella Thorne Shares Her Beauty Tricks at Her Glamour Photo Shoot
Get the Look from Jason Wu Fall 2014
Get the Look from Christian Dior Fall 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...