A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,121
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Lich (AT) Curled Horn - Made from basic household items (loose tutorial)  (Read 1933 times)
Tags for this thread: adventure_time , halloween , costume , horn , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 16, 2013 01:14:24 PM »

My boyfriend is going as The Lich from Adventure Time for halloween this year. He found an awesome mask to modify, some skeleton gloves, and sheets/fabric at the thrift store for the clothing pieces. However, since we are on a budget and needed everything to be homemade, the horn was the most challenging part of the costume. Here's the end result of my cheap and actually relatively easy project last night:

And here's The Lich, if you've never seen Adventure Time:

We'd seen projects online that involved carving the horn out of expanding foam, using foil to make a basic shape and then use ModelMagic around it, but the expanding foam seemed like a lot of work and while the ModelMagic is probably very lightweight, neither of us make much money.

I made the horn completely out of things I had around the house:
1. thin cardboard packaging (like cereal boxes)
2. tacky glue
3. duct tape
4. painter's tape
5. paint
6. scissors

So I'm not the best at making tutorials but here's a basic one, and if you have any questions about the process, I will try to answer them!

Step 1: Make tubes out of the cardboard using duct tape or tacky glue. These can be various sizes depending on how thick you want your horn as well as how "sharp" you want the angles of the curve to be.

Step 2: Besides the base piece of the horn, which will probably be the thickest/widest circle, you'll want to cut out a semi circle section like this. This is what makes it curve! These pieces will probably vary in thickness throughout.

Step 3: (sorry I can't be more helpful here lol) Tape the pieces together in the shape that you want. The curved part is the most difficult. You kind of have to think about the direction you want the tube to go in, and then twist the pieces around (before taping) until you get the achieved direction. When you get to the part where you want the tip to be, make tapering pieces by making a circle piece and then sort of make an "X" where the two ends of the cardboard tube piece meet before the glue dries.

Step 4: Cover the whole thing with painter's tape. You could use bondo or something like that, but I didn't have any of that but I had a big roll of painter's tape. This will give you a smoother surface. Around curves you'll want to notch part of the tape so that you can lay it flat against the curves. I also sometimes had to tape a small piece of cardboard against it when the tubes didn't line up completely.

Step 5: Paint it with a few coats of a base color. I used a light gray in Martha Stewart all purpose paint. I really like her paints - they are very good opaque paints.

Then paint it however you want with acrylic paints and add any other details you'd like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013 05:55:35 AM »

This is so great!  Thanks for sharing how you did it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013 09:23:56 PM »

This is awesome! I am curious to know how he plans on doing the makeup
THIS ROCKS   Logged

haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013 02:55:34 PM »

This is awesome! I am curious to know how he plans on doing the makeup

He altered a skull mask he found that had a VERY similar expression. Here's our AT group: our friend is the Ice King, I went as Marceline, and the Lich at the end. I can't speak for the Ice King, but 80% of our costumes were homemade - I made the axe bass out of insulation foam and sewed my dress. I made the horns for his costume and he did the mask, and we both sewed the rest from sheets/curtains.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
teaandcraft
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014 04:06:40 PM »

Awesome! All your costumes look great, and thanks for sharing the tutorial! ^___^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dye Wood Bangle Bracelets
How to Make Your Own Jewelry
How to Make Shrink Plastic Jewelry and Accessories
How to Make a Wrapped Loop - Bead Tutorial
How to Make Marble Magnets and Picture Marbles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...