A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,556
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Peacock Costume (now with AFTER shots!) :-)  (Read 927 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CvilleCraftyGirl
« on: October 23, 2013 01:17:49 PM »

Here are the elements of our daughter's Halloween costume.  The costume could be modified for an adult with jsut a few minor changes (like the shoe size).  

We haven't seen the whole thing put together yet - we're waiting for Halloween!   I painted some shoes I found at Rose's on clearance for $3.00.  I used regular craft paint with an Americana fabric painting medium added.  I speckled glitter on the center sections as I painted them (let each color dry before moving onto the next color) and used gold and silver sharpies for the edges of the feathers.

The mask was purchased at Target for $4.00 and I found an old ugly peacock feather mask at the Salvation Army that I disassembled to steal the feathers.  The sparkly accent peacock feathers and the sequin flares are Christmas decorations from Hobby Lobby.  I just used hot glue to assemble it all together.  

Here is the peacock bustle.  I created a waistband covered in royal blue fabric and sewed a piece of felt to it - I cut the felt in sort of a U shape to hang down from the waistband.  I then sewed different colors of tulle (green, aqua and royal with sequins) to it along with a few feather boas from the Dollar Tree.  I then hot glued a few eye feathers to the tulle.  

More pictures can be found here:  http://craftygirlcreations.weebly.com/1/post/2013/10/peacock-costume-in-the-works.html

Thanks for checking it out!  I will definitely post pics of the fully-assembled costume.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013 06:14:02 AM by CvilleCraftyGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
marlie2
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013 05:17:23 AM »

Wow!! So gorgeous, you have a wonderful attention to detail. I would wear those shoes in my day to day life haha. Can't wait to see how it is all together. Smiley thanks for sharing your beautiful work
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013 08:45:03 AM by marlie2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CubanMother
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013 02:54:46 PM »

So pretty! I love peacocks! they are so beautiful. Looking forward to see the costume put together and Congratulations on a very pretty job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CvilleCraftyGirl
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013 06:13:30 AM »

Thanks so much, guys!  As promised, here are the AFTER pics!  :-)  She was in her element and she rocked that peacock bustle!

And the front, I think she's ready for her editorial modeling debut!  lol

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013 07:01:36 AM »

Oooh, we love this! It's bookmarked for next year for my little one. She is squeeing with delight at the idea of being a peacock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
CvilleCraftyGirl
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013 09:45:17 AM »

Thanks!  I was soooooo excited when she picked that.  What awesome possibilities - and so much more unique than one more princess, etc...  Let me know if you have any questions when the time comes.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KimmyLynne82
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I enjoy being a dame.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013 02:21:13 PM »

Heck yeah! I'm filing this one away for ME next year!! Smiley (Now, if only I remember where I file it away...hehe!)

Love the shoes - I would totally wear those every day regardless of Halloween. Love that bustle - very cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Kim~*
wists~ Swap Ideas on Pinterest~Blog

I <3 Personal Swaps!
CvilleCraftyGirl
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013 07:19:41 PM »

Thank you!  It was really so easy - but SO effective.  She was truly stunning, and it was really one of the easier projects I've done.  I think the difference was that piece of felt in the back of the bustle which helped create the different layers/lengths of the tulle without having it all so bunchy and bulky at her waist (she's got a pretty tiny waist).  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CubanMother
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013 03:20:13 PM »

I Love it!! That's a vey pretty peacock. Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CvilleCraftyGirl
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014 09:39:12 AM »

Thank you! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trendy Hairstyles for Kids
Hair Straightening Techniques
Sexy Short Hairstyle Tips
How to Dye Hair at Home
How to Create a Messy Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...