A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: mini books from seed packets  (Read 6554 times)
Tags for this thread: book , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kitchensink
« on: July 09, 2005 06:06:38 PM »

i really liked the photos and design on my martha stewart seed packets, so i decided to make them into little books...

http://photos23.flickr.com/24773013_62d830a524_o.jpg

Materials used:
Seed packets
Double sided paper
White paper
Cardboard
Scissors
Paper trimmer
Needle
Thread
Hammer

-for the double sided paper i used scrapbooking paper. i have a love-hate relationship with scrapbooking, but i do love the papers.
-the card stock in this photo is a little thick, i think. it's the stuff that comes folded up with fat quarters of fabric, almost shoebox thickness. for the second book (morning glory) i used a cut up greeting card, and that worked better.
-the seed packets are martha stewart. the photography and design are lovely, much nicer than on the walmart brand packets! also, the martha stewart stuff grew better. hmm...

1) cut the seed packet on three sides, leaving it glued shut on the left side, which will become the spine of your book
2) cut two pieces of cardboard, each a little bigger than one half of the packet
3) glue the cardboard to the packet like this:
sbpspine
(this was the calendula book. the spine is more narrow than i meant it to be, so the book ended up only having 30 pages)
4) set the cover somewhere to dry...put a weight on it to help it keep its shape
5) now you are going to make a signature...the pages of the book. first, make a template for your pages by tracing around the cover, then using the template to cut your white paper (i used regular office paper). then i cut one piece of the double-sided paper to the template size and put it on the bottom of the stack of pages. (the bottom of this sheet of paper will disappear eventually, so decide which side of the paper you want visible before beginning to sew.) i followed instructions for signature-making found online.

now you are...ready to put it all together!

you want to put glue in the spine and all over the cover, especially on the edges. then match up the spine on the signature to the spine on the cover, and press the endpapers (the bottom pages on the sig) onto the cover.

i used a combination of the paper trimmer and scissors to trim the edges. i haven't quite got the hang of this yet.

now you can put some weights on the book to help it stay shut.

if anyone's interested, there's a picture tutorial on my blog: http://fabricated.blogspot.com/2005/07/im-not-dead-yet.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012 09:24:31 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kbug
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005 07:35:30 PM »

That is a great tutorial! Thanks for doing it.  I want to make some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005 10:03:08 PM »

Very inspired!!! I always wondered what to do with seed packets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitchensink
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005 10:29:20 PM »

glad you like 'em...if anyone makes their own i'd love to see pictures. i'm thinking there's lots of potential for embellishment here....could even make the filler pages from paper made with the dried flowers from the plants that started out as seeds in the packets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnspath
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005 06:56:53 PM »

Great idea.  My mom loves flowers and always has those seed packets around.  Next time I go visit her I may see if she has any empties to give this a try.  They'd be a fun little gift to give back to her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
GirlProps, Soho - NYC, New York
How to Do Your Highlights At Home
Celebrities Hair Stylist Ted Gibson Interview
Hair Style- Ted Gibson- Lela Rose- Fashion Week NY Fall 2010
Hair at Betsey Johnson - Fashion Week NY Fall 2010
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...