A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has anyone tried making crayon lipstick?  (Read 1378 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Krissy.me
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013 06:36:37 PM »

I've not used glitter in soap, as in made the soap and added glitter so I can't say.  But I do know the glitter needs to be finer than typical craft glitter. But I have used soap or was a bath bomb or bubble bar from LUSH, well it was something and I remember it being very scratchy because the glitter was too big.  They should have known better.  We were on holiday and went to the MOA (Mall of America) and I was curious about LUSH products as there is a store there.  Even though I like mine better.  But that didn't stop me from walking out with a bag full... I couldn't resist their over-priced, terrible quality products that are overscented.  

The size makes a difference and it doesn't take much to feel scratchy to the skin.  

If your going to add it to lip balm I would say yes it also needs to be lip safe or food safe.  There are many colorants that have shimmer that are lip safe.  
TKB offer colorants and glitter that are safe for the lips.
http://www.tkbtrading.com/category.php?category_id=17

But an option that might be closer to you or you might have a chance at buying it when you travel to a larger town.  I don't know where you live but I live in a very rural area.  But I have bought some Wilton products that had shimmer and was glittery.  I don't recall what it was called exactly, but you want it to be powder fine.  I think what your looking for may be Wilter Shimmer Dust.  You may want to add a tiny bit to some oil and apply it to your lips before adding some to the whole batch.  

I bought several colors a couple of years ago but I haven't used them yet.  I'm great for buying stuff and setting aside because I plan to work on something but other stuff becomes more important so it goes on the back burner..... This being one of them.  I had planned on dusting the tops of logs of soap with it for a touch of shimmer.  I really need to reorganize my soaping shelves.....  I have what I use most often right at hand but the rest needs to be organized some as I am not sure where they are at the moment so I can't look to say what the texture is.  I'll give a better look around tomorrow.  We redid our floors two years ago and I still haven't found the energy for putting things back to how they were....  I battle fibromyalgia now after my pancreatic cancer surgery so I focus on certain things and worry about the rest later.  But I have got to get my butt into gear and get the rest of that organized!  But I'll see if I can't find them tomorrow....

http://search.wilton.com/?q=shimmer+dust
To order it off wiltons site is the same price as stores I think..... and they have cheap shipping.  I have bought some items off Wilton for baking real food to my children's delight!   But I bought the shimmer dust in Michael's the craft store.   They also have online coupons you can print out I think from emails if you register for them.  I don't live close to one so I rarely get there, so I stopped the emails because I never looked at them.  

Personally if I wanted to add shimmer to a lip balm I would not use a "glitter" of sorts.  But would used a powdered colorant that had shimmer to it naturally.
Such as one from these pages.  All these listed on this link are lip safe.
http://www.tkbtrading.com/category.php?category_id=35
TKB does offer reasonable shipping charges, even on small orders.
I added 20 sample packs of colorants (6 grams each) and shipping was still at their lowest charge of $3.50 so that's great...... You won't need much to add a bit of shimmer....
I've not ordered from this supplier myself (yet) but i have LOTS of soaping friends who do and have on a regular basis.  They use their colorants for all kinds of cosmetic projects!  They are great to order from!  

*sigh* I may now have to order some and play with coloring lip balms for my girls.... and myself of course!  

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013 06:39:00 PM by Krissy.me » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
ShandyJo
I was using paracord before it was cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013 04:24:34 AM »

Ok, The reason I asked is I saw Iridescent Glitter at Micheal's, I too live in a rural area so my choices are limited when it comes to stores, and my daughter was asking for something glittery. She likes those cheap glittery lip glosses you can get at the Dollar Store. This was very fine like a loose eyeshadow, and it was in with the soap making supplies. But that TKB site is great, so many colors to choose from. Maybe I'll put in a small order and try some different colors. Do the pigments tint the skin or just the lip balm?

I know what you mean about buying things and then having them moved to the back burner. I tend to see stuff on sale and go oh I can use that, then it sits on my craft shelf forever. I shouldn't be allowed in a craft store or hardware store for that matter. LOL. No worries about finding Shimmer Dust, I think my mother-in-law might have some or at least know what I'm talking about. She does a lot of fancy baking.

Thanks again, you are being super helpful. I hope I'm not being to much of a pest with all my questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do a lot of crafts from macrame to making my own lip balm.
My Blog~ Suriviving Being Me
Etsy Shop~ Mabel & Nanny's Designs
Krissy.me
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013 09:39:10 AM »

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, it was a busy day working on orders for customers and then in the late afternoon I had to take my son out of town for ATA taekwondo class. 

Pigments will tint the skin and not just the lip balm.  But again amount used could also greatly affect this as well.  If not enough is used and it may just tint the lip balm rather than the lips.   These are the same colorants that are used to make lipsticks so think of it the same way as well.   

I buy a lot of things to test out so I can teach others as well.   So that's another reason why I buy a lot more than just what I use for my business.   But it's also a lot of fun as well.

I don't mind your questions at all, that's how one learns!!!!  I'm hear to learn from others as well as teaching others when I can.  It's a two way street!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
ShandyJo
I was using paracord before it was cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013 06:36:22 AM »

No problem. I wasn't on yesterday myself, we were putting up paneling in our living room. Still have to fix and paint the ceiling then we will be pretty much done with that room.

Ok I will have to play with the pigments to see what works. I think I will be doing a lot of experimenting. Smiley

That's really cool and I'm sure it's fun playing with the different colors and flavors. I can't wait to get my supplies. Thanks for being so helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do a lot of crafts from macrame to making my own lip balm.
My Blog~ Suriviving Being Me
Etsy Shop~ Mabel & Nanny's Designs
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Selena Gomez Sizzles in Lanvin
3 Totally Different Ways to Wear Cutoffs
5 Hottest Swimsuit Trends for Summer
How To Choose The Best Swimsuit For Your Body
Choosing the Right Fit for Your Body
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...