A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
761 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has anyone tried making crayon lipstick?  (Read 1346 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShandyJo
I was using paracord before it was cool

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2013 04:29:17 AM »

I recently found some videos/ blog posts on making lipstick with crayons. Well I tried my hand at it yesterday and the wax separated from all the other ingredients. I remember I had this problem when I tried making homemade lip balm as well but for the life of me can't remember how I fixed it.
Has anyone tried this and know what I'm talking about or how to keep everything from separating during the cooling process?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do a lot of crafts from macrame to making my own lip balm.
My Blog~ Suriviving Being Me
Etsy Shop~ Mabel & Nanny's Designs
Krissy.me
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013 10:18:22 AM »

Personally I would NOT do it because I don't know what the colorants used to make the crayons and IF they would be lip safe or not.  Taking a guess I would guess they would NOT be lip safe.   Not to mention the other ingredients used to make the crayons and that could vary company to company and it might contain ingredients that wouldn't be safe to use for lips.

I do want to mention that there are a LOT of things posted on the net that people are doing and sharing with others that are not good recipes and are unsafe. 

Anything used for the lips needs to be lip safe, the same for the eyes it needs to be labeled as being safe for the eyes.  Cosmetics in general the same but not as particular as the lips or eyes.   I would like to mention this is essential (legal reasons) for anything sold, if it's personal use then the choice is up to you if you want to use something that isn't labeled for the application you want to use it and accepts the hazards and risks.

For lip safe colorants I can highly recommend this company.  I have several friends (crafters) who order from them on a regular basis.
http://www.tkbtrading.com/category.php?category_id=7

What ingredients were you using for your lipstick as that would be why it's separating.  You don't want anything that is water based in it or it will separate.   Perhaps I can help you troubleshoot your recipe, apart from the crayon added for coloration. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013 12:44:12 PM »

Yeah I agree it's just not a good idea overall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
ShandyJo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013 02:15:34 PM »

Thanks. I did do some research before doing this, I found Crayola uses food based pigment and are non-toxic basically they are designed for kids to rub on themselves and eat. So I figured they would be ok. But it doesn't matter since I scrapped the whole idea. I'm going to buy a lip balm kit from etsy (there are a couple reasonable priced that have everything even pigment) or one of the suppliers posted in the supplier thread. I wanted a fun cheap project to try with my daughter, but it just wasn't working and you bring up some very valid points as well. It was neat experimenting and I did come up with some ideas for projects to use old broken crayons for, but just not to put on the body. Smiley
As for recipe I had some base left over from when I made lip balm a while ago, it's  Macadamia Oil, Coconut Oil, Beeswax, Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil and I used a little Bubble Gum flavor oil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krissy.me
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013 02:58:17 PM »

A "kit" really isn't necessary.   You may be over paying than if you just bought the ingredients.  I know on ebay perhaps etsy as well you can buy small amounts of some ingredients, of course they are making a profit as well.  But if you prefer they are available.  Just be aware that some people use a pre-made lip balm base they buy.  If that is a concern check the ingredient list out.  

You could also buy from a popular supplier everything you need in one place from WSP.
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Default.aspx
or http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/
I've bought from this supplier many times!  

I make a lot of lip balm and it is something offered to my customers, and here is a pretty basic recipe.  You can use what you have and what to use for each percent and divide the percents up as needed.  
29% Beeswax
29% Cocoa Butter
10% Coconut Oil
10% Shea Butter
19% Liquid Oil Of Choice Or Divided Among A Couple Different Liquid Oils *
 3% Flavoring

Both the beeswax and cocoa butter give the lip balm the necessary hardness.  I like to add in some coconut oil because it's a good oil to use, but also because it adds to the hardness a tad since it's harder than a liquid oil.  It's a matter of balancing out the recipe between hard and soft ingredients.  If you have to much of one or the other it will seriously affect the entire recipe.   I also like to use the shea butter for the same reason.  The liquid oil percent can be all one type of oil or split between multiple liquid oils.

If you don't have a scale I would highly recommend getting on if you are going to make bath and body products.  Simply because some recipes it's critical to have the right amounts and it's difficult to measure with spoons, but you can't argue with weight of an item.   I suggest weighing in grams because it's more accurate than ounces and easier.  There are 28 grams to the 1 ounce.  

If you don't know how to convert the percents to weights, here is a handy dandy calculator to do that with!
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Calculators/Batch_Size_Calculator.aspx

Enjoy making these goodies with your daughter!

If you give them away as gifts don't forget to label them, especially with ingredient list.  This past valentines day my daughter and I made a bunch of lip balms as part of her valentines for her classmates.
I did make the labels, but altered them for the occasion.   I didn't use honey in them because it doesn't incorporate well, but used honey flavor oil, and of course beeswax!   For the image I just googled one as I wasn't selling them.  The kids and teachers loved them.

If you want to use a base and flavor it with a flavor oil (oil based, not water based), here are a few.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?CatalogID=2&GroupID=332&CategoryID=785&ProductID=6741&ProductName=Crafters+Choice%E2%84%A2+Lip+Balm+Base+for+Sticks
Shipping is included in the price of the item, but I believe they have a $30 minimum if it's less I think they charge $5 for small order fee.  

http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Natural-Lip-Balm-or-Body-Butter-Base-pr-674.html
I have gotten a sample of their lip balm with an order and it was quite lovely!
Offers cheap shipping for small orders.  They also have great flavor oils and also have the tubes.  
If your going to make a lot of lip balms, now or in the future, I highly suggest the lip balm filling tray.
http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Lip-Balm-Fill-Tray-pr-918.html
I usually make 12 at a time but offer lots of flavors, you can fill up to 50 tubes with this tray, but I just seal off the area not using by one simple strip of electrical tape to outline the area I need and don't need.  Then put an empty tube or two in the other side of the tray so it stands up properly.   I highly recommend the tray for filling lip balms, it makes life much easier and it makes it stress free.  I just use a butter knife and remove the unused stuff on the top and reheat and re-pour.  This allows you to pour the lip balm right into the top and you don't worry about overfill.  There is a picture tutorial on the link for the tray.
I've done a tutorial on how to make and fill lip balm on another site, I can edit my photo's (remove the url of that site) and post it here.
but I quick edited one of the photo's to show how I fill the tubes.

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/item/lipbalm/--All-Natural-Lip-Balm-Base--1-pound.html
your buying a lot but it's cheap, but their shipping isn't the cheapest since it's UPS.  

Ohhhh you mentioned separation issues, what type of flavoring were you using?  Was it perchance water based?  Used for candy type?  

Just as a side note if you buy flavoring you want to make sure it's flavor oil and not fragrance oil. I have seen reviews where people posted a negative comment about the product because they used it in lip balm and it burned their lips.... There is a difference.....

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013 03:03:33 PM by Krissy.me » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
ShandyJo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013 07:38:35 AM »

Thank you for all the information. I actually spent yesterday afternoon comparing prices and ingredients. I finally found a base I liked that was reasonably priced on etsy. I probably should just buy all the ingredients and make my own since I'm being pretty picky. LOL. Right now the order I'm going to make is the cheaper option. Because it has the base, flavor oils (yup I do know the difference Wink) and tubes.
 Quick question though have you ever used Liquid Sorbitol as a sweetener and can you use peppermint oil like the kind used in candy for lip balm? I'm not talking about artificial flavoring but actual oil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krissy.me
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013 08:01:53 AM »

I'm not entirely sure on the liquid sorbitol as I've not used it.  But I'm guessing it's water based so it may not work.

This is what I use myself as it's a liquid,
http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Lip-Smacking-Sweetener-Oil-pr-839.html
I have used powdered sweeteners and it's worked just fine, but you do need to incorporate it well. I just find the liquid easier to work with so that's what I buy. But then I buy larger bottles of it as well. 

But I know one of my favorite suppliers sell this product.
http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/item/stevia/-Powdered-Stevia-Sweetener.html
I don't know for sure but I think it may be the same powdered stevia found in stores.  Craft suppliers often sell some common products (such as this) sold in stores because they do have international customers that can't get it locally.

They state this about it.
Sweetening your lip balm:  Natures Garden has tested numerous sweeteners for lip balms.  We have found that a powdered stevia extract with maltodextrin works the best.  Simply add a very small amount of powdered stevia with maltodextrin to your flavoring, and add to your melted lip balm base. The maltodextrin was added to the stevia extract powder to help the sweetener flow better in lip balm or edible products; reducing the gritty feeling that you experience with plain stevia extract powder.  Maltodextrin is a food grade product made from the sugars of grain.  Both stevia and maltodextrin are all natural products.

*Note:  Since stevia is a natural plant material, it will have polarity (water loving characteristics).  Anytime you add a polar product to non-polar product (lip balm base made with 100% oil loving characteristics), the products will not dissolve; only disperse.  The addition of maltodextrin allows the stevia to disperse better in lip balm bases, but it will not completely dissolve.*

So that might be a better option if you can find it locally..... or in a coffee shop as they are singles.   Roll Eyes

If it's candy oil you will need to look at the ingredients.  Anything sold will be required by the FDA to have an ingredient label so the label should say.  If it contains glycerin then it will not work, but if it contains alcohol it will work. 

But if it's a regular essential oil it will work as well.  My spearmint lip balm is flavored with spearmint essential oil.  But again you want to make sure of your supplier before using it for lip balm.  If you were scenting soap, it wouldn't make that much of a difference, but with lip balm you want to make sure it's food safe (lip safe) essential oil. 
I also know some essential oils can not be used on the lips while others can, but before using it I would make sure it's either food safe or lip safe on the label. 

I buy most of my essential oils from, but the EO's that are used in lip balm come from these two suppliers. 
http://www.brambleberry.com/
or
https://www.thesage.com/
I use them because both sites make it a point to let buyers know what can be used in lip balms!   I guess I do have pink grapefruit from Elements Bath and Body but they also label theirs as being lip safe as well. 

I would hesitate buying essential oils from sellers on etsy or ebay or some other suppliers on the net because there are many who don't have a clue about what they are selling.  I have seen fragrance oils listed as essential oils.   But if they are sold as part of a lip balm making kit, it would be okay to use.  But the reason why is that you don't know what exact essential oils they are selling and if THAT type is safe for lip balms.  There may be various types of essential oils with the same basic name, processing of the EO may also make a difference if it can be used for the lips or not as well.   I'm not sure entirely, but I prefer to use caution instead of assuming to be safe.

I hope that helps some.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShandyJo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013 09:19:30 AM »

Yes, you've been extremely helpful. The shop I'm going to buy from states the flavor oils are FDA approved, so I think I'm good to go. I'll hold off on using essential oils until I know more. Right now I'm just playing, with lip balm for my own purposes. I might give some away for Christmas, hence the peppermint oil question, but it will be just to friends and family. If I get really good at it in the far far future I might try to sell it, but for now it's just to fill my own lip balm obsession. Smiley
Thank you for all the info, now I know where to go if I have more questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krissy.me
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013 09:34:33 AM »

Good Luck and I hope you come back with your results! 
I have found good homemade lip balm is so much better than store bought, and I've bought many types before coming up with my own.  I made lots of batches before I settled on one recipe that I liked the best.

If you do sell, please do take the time to learn about the legal issues that are necessary such as insurance.  But also read up on the FDA site of their legal requirement for "cosmetics" being sold.  Anything that is beauty is a cosmetic with the exception of soap.  If you say it's soap and it cleans it has different label requirements, but if you say it's moisturizing then it's a cosmetic.   You can't say it's healing because then it becomes a drug (OTC) and you don't want to go there, with ANYTHING.  (making medical claims which includes describing certain ingredients as having healing powers is a big no-no about anything, the FDA is cracking down on etsy sellers for that this past year)  Labeling is also critical and people have gotten in trouble with the govt over something not labeled correctly. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShandyJo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013 03:22:54 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. I have to do my research if I decide to sell it, but for right now it's just for fun. I hope you don't mind but one more question, can I use the same glitter used in soap in the lip balm or does it have to be some special kind?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glass Blowing Tricks and Techniques
Glass Blowing Safety
How to Use Stencils in Scrapbooking
How to Use Ribbon Sliders for Scrapbooking
How to Use Vellum with Scrapbooking
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...