A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How much stock?  (Read 978 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shadojake
« on: October 14, 2013 06:05:21 PM »

I am going to some craft shows this fall that I have not been to as a vendor and some I've not attended at all.  Two of the craft shows are big for our area, with 3000+ attending the craft show.  I knoow that not everyone will come by my booth but how do I know how much stock to bring?

I've attended one of these as a shopper and have never seen anything like my product at this show.  Only at one fair did anyone have coasters and they were not like mine at all.  To get an idea of my work you can look at my website .... www.customcoastersbycindy.com.

Prices on my website include shipping.  My craft show price is $20/4 for tumbled travertine and $24/4 for tumbled marble.

I appreciate any advice.

Cindy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013 04:08:36 AM »

There is the normal rule of thumb, and that's to make enough to fill your booth, and then double that.

Other factors will naturally come into play. Like how big the show is, how many days it is, and especially how much advertising is done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
shadojake
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013 06:17:20 AM »

There is the normal rule of thumb, and that's to make enough to fill your booth, and then double that.

Other factors will naturally come into play. Like how big the show is, how many days it is, and especially how much advertising is done.

Chris,

Thanks for your input.  I have brought enough to fill my booth to small shows and it's been enough.  I must have been on the right wave length for the big shows because I have done what you suggested, doubled what it takes to fill my booth.  Normally I take 100 sets to a show.  I have 200 made up.

My first 2 shows are on the smaller side so I will probably just take about 100 to those. Then the next 2 shows are the big ones so I'll up it to 200 for those.  The 5th show is smaller so I'll drop to 100 for that one.

However, I would still like to hear from others about how they decide how much stock to bring.

Thanks again for your input.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

shadojake
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013 06:31:56 AM »

I forgot to address part of what you mentioned.  All of the shows I am in are one day events.  The two big shows are "historic" here, as in they have been around for a very long time and they advertise plenty.  One, on Nov. 2, is put on by a historic place in the town I live in, http://www.southdownmuseum.org/marketplace.  It is a fundraiser twice a year.  The other big one, on Nov. 9, is put on by the local Chamber of Commerce by a town just a few minutes up the road, http://www.thibodauxchamber.com/chamber/chamber-events/thibodauxville/.

The others are smaller and I know the first does a lot of word of mouth and facebook.  I am not sure what else they do.  It is only their 2nd one coming up later this month.  Another one later this month has been going on a dozen years or so and they do some advertising with signage and other media.  It is on a street that gets a lot of traffic.  The last one is a  school fundraiser and they have been doing lots of fb.  I am not sure how much advertising they do in print and tv because I live two hours away and don't get their newspaper.  I don't watch a lot of local tv so I have not been able to watch for tv ads.

Since the spring craft show/fair season here, I 've gotten choosier about what I go to.  Except for my first craft show this weekend, I am probably not going back to the ones that have buy/sell like Avon, Scentsy, etc.  To me, it takes away from the true crafters and artists.  When I hear about shows that I have never been to, I am now asking if they allow that before I jump on the bandwagon.  There is nothing wrong with selling those products but I just don't want them cluttering up craft shows.  I know some craft show organizers allow them in to fill their booth space but I think it can work against them.  Anyway, I digress.

Thanks again for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Chris in VT
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013 04:30:40 AM »

Don't be so negative about the shows that have buy/sell or what we call B/S. I do shows that are three day shows with professional crafters, but if I have an open weekend, and the show is nearby and cheap, (under $100) I'll go do it and set up right next to the Avon or others. Why? because I'll make a couple hundred bucks which is more money than I would have made if I sat home. And once you have a different display than just setting things on a table with a riser or two, you can become the one who the Avon people don't want to be next to, because you're making the money, and they're not.

You're also getting your work out in front of the people, and that's what counts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
shadojake
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013 06:40:33 AM »

Don't be so negative about the shows that have buy/sell or what we call B/S. I do shows that are three day shows with professional crafters, but if I have an open weekend, and the show is nearby and cheap, (under $100) I'll go do it and set up right next to the Avon or others. Why? because I'll make a couple hundred bucks which is more money than I would have made if I sat home. And once you have a different display than just setting things on a table with a riser or two, you can become the one who the Avon people don't want to be next to, because you're making the money, and they're not.

You're also getting your work out in front of the people, and that's what counts.

There are very few ways to display the coasters I sell, mostly due to the weight factor, other than flat on a table or low risers or some boxes covered with pretty fabric.  I cannot hang them on walls in my booth because of the weight.  They are made from natural stone and each set has 4 coasters.  I have a carpenter dh is working with to get some sort of riser built but it can only go so high before becoming dangerous as far as toppling over or making the table unbalanced.

I do have some plate stands for my trivets which gives some visual appeal.  I also have some plate stands I use for my framed price sheets.  I do not have to price each item because all travertine coasters are one price, all marble coasters are one price and all trivets are one price.  I keep the sheet simple and uncluttered and the font is simple and large enough to read.

About the b/s .... it is a matter of preference.  I have 5 shows lined up,  5 Saturdays in a row and only one (that I know for sure) has b/s.  The others do not allow it.  It is enough to keep me busy in our fall craft season here in south Louisiana.  There are multiple shows within a two hour drive (one way) I could go to almost every weekend.  I feel I have chosen the best of what is available in one day shows.

I have not yet tried multiple day events.  I feel I am not ready for that commitment.  Dh is my "grunt man".  He sets up my tent and hangs my banner.  Then I work on the tables, getting them set up.  So far he has not been able to commit to going out of town for a weekend to help and I am okay with that.  As I said I am not ready to make that commitment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

NaturallyAlternative
Making natural gifts for everyday life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013 03:34:50 PM »

I haven't done a lot of shows yet (I'm rather new) but I like the "enough to cover the table twice" idea.. I usually bring everything but my stuff is all small and or light so it's easy to do.

May I make a suggestion as to how to display your stuff? Perhaps you can just display a few pieces (enough to make your table look full and interesting) and have a 3 ring binder with page sleeves full of good photographs of the other pieces you brought (and having some on the table will give them a feel for what they'd get). It'd require a good organization system as you wouldn't want to fumble around looking for a particular set and make a customer wait, but a quick glance at your website shows you already have them in categorizes so it should be simple enough. Just a thought though. Smiley

BTW: I added you as a friend. I'm located in south Louisiana as well, Lafayette in particular. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Greg Lauren For Barneys New York
Best Types of Oil for Your Skin
Glittering Beauty Backstage at Chanel Fall 2013
Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2013 Backstage Beauty with Pat McGrath
Backstage Beauty - Deborah Lippmann Mani Cam
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...