Iíve got a set of coasters that were given to me as a gift for the living room. But I wanted a rug mug to use on my night stand. I usually donít use ice in my beverages, but lately Iíve been adding ice. I really dislike cup sweatÖ.. Is that even a term?
But I didnít want to take the time to quilt a pretty square for it nor did I want to take the time to use binding around the edges. So this is what I came up with on a spur while I was sitting at my sewing machine. But I actually like the outcome.
I think I may make up a few for my SIL for Christmas using different fabric of course.... It's not fancy, but it is quick and easy. But for hers I believe I will add a layer of PUL between the absorbent core and the bottom fabric. If I did that I would make the bottoms a matching solid fabric so there is a difference between the top and bottom layer so a person knows which side goes up. That way if there is a lot of glass sweat it won't seep through to the furniture below. Just in case as she does have a few antiques.
For my project I used what materials I had around and to be honest they were scraps since it was just for my bedside. I didnít care what the fabric was.
I used my quilterís ruler and rotary cutter to cut out two squares of fabric that measure 4.5Ē by 4.5Ē square. I didnít worry about cutting on or off the bias, I just cut the square out so it was square by the ruler.
I wanted something in the core that had a little cushion but not too much, and would be absorbent for that cup sweat! That ruled out polar fleece. Next I thought about using cotton terry cloth, and while it would work, it was a tad thicker than what I wanted. I didnít want a cup to be tippy because of the loft. But it wasnít so thick that it wouldnít work, but I also had some bamboo fleece and I used that because itís a tad thicker than the bamboo terry. The bamboo terry would also work nicely as well. The bamboo terry/fleece is more absorbent than the cotton terry while being a thinner product. I love that fact about bamboo terry/fleece now that I bought some to try out. Iíll be buying more of it in the future.
I used 4 pins and pined the three layers together just as the item would be used. I put the wrong sides together with the core layer between the two outer fabrics. I used one pin on each corner but if you prefer to use more go ahead. I sewed a 1/4 inch seam around the entire square. I didnít stop and clip threads when I turned the square; I just turned the fabric and kept on sewing.
This came to me on a whim as to what to do with the raw edges for the fabric. Iíve started making all my own bias tape and just had some pre-bought super narrow bias in white and I didnít want to use that. Not just because it was super narrow but it was also white and that would stick out like a sore thumb with this print. LOL and me who didn't change my thread to black from the white I had in my machine of course. And for such a small project I didnít want to make up some quick just for this project. Although I did have the black cotton to work with had I wanted to go that route.
So instead I just zigzagged around the raw edges. I put the center line of my foot on the raw edge of the fabric and went around. But once I went around once it seemed kind of sparse, so I just went around the border again with the zigzag stich and it looked much better. This way the edges won't unravel when it's laundered. I didnít adjust anything for the zigzag just factory preset when you make that selection. A person could even go around a third time if one wanted. Decide how many times you want to go around when your making it depending on how it looks.
*cough*cough* I also didnít change thread to black because it was a super simple quick project that was for my own personal use. Okay I was lazy and just didnít want to take the time to change the threadÖ.. But I would recommend changing the thread to one that matched the print or contrast which would also look nice. But given my example in showing it with the white gives you an idea of what the edge looks like because of the contract which wouldnít have shown up well had I changed the thread to black.