A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,115
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fall Wedding  (Read 778 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , fall , center_piece  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChrissyCrafts
« on: September 13, 2013 10:25:07 AM »

I just got engaged this past week! Let the planning begin!

I was wondering if anyone else was planning for a fall wedding and or has had one? This is an awesome and stressful time for you both! Maybe we can gain some sanity...

Post your favorite DIY projects, inspiration, where to find supplies or questions on how to make that center piece just the way you'd like it. Maybe if we get enough people we can do a swap in the near future!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013 10:35:47 AM by ChrissyCrafts » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChrissyCrafts
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013 11:49:53 AM »

When: October 2014
Where: NJ o NY
How many people: >50
Theme/Colors: Casual /Darker Purple, White, Burlap, Lace

Challenges: Living on the other cost from our wedding site!

Center Pieces: Lab Beakers with candles (He's a Chemist)
                    Elements being the table numbers, but with more of a classic scroll look (We both love to read)

Surprises: I want to make Dr.Who cuff links and something else Dr.Who (thinking quotes on burlap that can be put together as garland)

More to be added...My Pinterest is going to be exploding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013 12:06:04 PM »

Congrats!!  

I had an October wedding (which barely counts here in Texas!) but I've never been big on traditional fall colors so we went with fruit-inspired with a sort of honeydew green, cherry red, and a few touches of orange with lots of white (which I love).  No real theme except what I called ribbon and pearls and whimsy.  It sounded weird to everyone for the year and a half of planning we had (long engagements suck) but I had a vision and I loved the way it came together and everyone in my family was stunned at how well the colors look together.  Clearly most of my family are not especially imaginative!  Cheesy

I did a lot of the little touches myself - save the dates and invites, programs, centerpieces, bouquets (which were with glass flowers - I didn't do the flowers, I just put them together!), stuff like the card box and seating chart and stuff.  It was a lot of work, especially since neither my mother or best friend (who was maid of honor) did pretty much anything (I'm not complaining, it just made it a bit more stressful) but I had everything the way I wanted it and I loved it!

That said, almost six years later, I'd say that things that showed up in main pictures - like shots of my husband and I, shots of our family, etc., were far more important since they pretty much were the photos we had in the house all over until like last year!  So I was glad I loved my dress and had made little Swarovski bead boutonnieres for the men and beaded stick pins for my hair and so on.  If I look through my wedding album I appreciate all the little touches (make sure your photographer takes plenty of pics of what you make!) but in retrospect I would just say that the overall visual effect wasn't nearly as important for me as I thought at the time.  

Definitely have fun with some of the stuff like table numbers and cufflinks - our table numbers were names of people in history we admire (we're both very into social justice and whatnot).  Stuff like Dr. Who is great - we actually included a note in our wedding program that thanked Aaron Sorkin for bringing us together since we initially totally hit it off with our love of The West Wing and that's still one of the things people comment on.  That and the fact that I used green, red, and orange Skittles on tables in addition to our centerpieces - people still talk about that, too!

So that's what I've got to offer  Cheesy

Congrats again and enjoy the process!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
ChrissyCrafts
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013 12:25:12 PM »

That sounds awesome! I think it's funny the next day He made an Excel spread sheet for us and a folder to start brainstorming. Since we are going to have the wedding closer to our family and friends, anything we make will be light weight or shipped to Mom's house lol.

Not a lot of flowers here either, to cut on cost and aggravation. Skittles are a great idea! Seeing all the unique ideas has my head spinning a bit. As coffee lovers I might do the spray painted coffee beans in purple and place them in a beaker glass with a white candle. Simple, smells, and might look good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlemisspickles
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013 06:33:33 PM »

I had a fall wedding & it turned out gorgeous... For place cards we used the small wooden leaves we got at ac moore and just stained them, and put a sticker on the back with the persons name and table number... tip on that one.. do it alphabetically & dont leave to get your nails done while your grandmother put them on the tree by table number... LOL

for a favor we had a candy bar.. we got these cute little halloween orange glass candle holders and just stuck a sticker over the halloween image printed on it...

as people came in i had painted a tree on a canvas (without the leaves) and had everyone stamp their finger print on it to make the leaves.. tip make sure to have something to wash their hand after using the ink pad

for table numbers i took the wood pieces you get at acmoore (ones that look like a tree bark around it) and did some woodburning with fall themes/ butterflies/flowers etc.

for the card holder we did a like a chest with a lock btw (love my family ) but have heard stories of the cards getting stollen... anyways cut a hole on top... and then i did woodburning again with fall themes/flowers etc and stained it a nice brown

my mother used to be a florist so i really lucked out on that... we used all silk flowers .. she made one large centerpiece and i had bought plain tiny flower pots and painted fall themes on them and my mom made flower arraingements in them... they were great to have an extra favor for people...

at first i wanted all fresh flowers but the silk were so much easier and the hall turned out so gorgeous i was able to have more flowers going the silk route... the only fresh was my bouquet and the girls bouquets , and the guys corsages .... and a bonus i still have many leftover flower arrangements for decorate the house in the fall i love it... so pretty  Wink and eventually i can sell them lol...

ill have to find some pictures.... ill post later Smiley cant remember whatelse fall we did , the flowers really made the hall... ohh and we took tulle (ourselves btw) and were able to hang it from the ceiling mixed with white lights, making a nice draping over the dance floor

oh here is a link to some pictures how the hall looked ( the caterer posted pictures on their website)
http://www.cambridgeinn.com/camelotcatering/knightsofcolumbus.html

will post more later Wink

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013 06:39:49 PM by littlemisspickles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Pinup-Girl Hairstyle
Salon Solutions for Frizzy Hair
Hair How To: Victory Rolls
How to Curl Your Hair Using a Flat Iron
Hairapy Ep 108: Leah
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...