I am currently in the process of making friends with my sewing machine. My husbands Grandma gave it to me about 5 years ago - I tried for a few days but couldn't get to grips with it. At the beginning of last year I saw a sewing course advertised - so I thought I would go along. I really enjoyed the course - it was 3 lessons of two hour course. I thought I'd continue using it, so it sat in the corner of the living room staring at me, but I got nervous to use it without someone telling me what to do - and of course, the more I put it off - the more scared I got - so it sat forlorn and unloved behind the livingroom door. In August I joined the rodent revolution swap - and decided to get over my fears and have a go on it! I didn't do very well - but as I'd broken the cycle - decided to keep on playing and try to make friends. I've never been good at sewing - at school when we did sewing I was the girl sat in the corner trying for the entire lesson to thread the darn needle! Still - I can be pretty determined when I need to be - and when I saw this challenge I decided it was the perfect opportunity to learn. I didnt have a pin cushion - and have been saying for ages I need one (I did some hand sewing before) so that inspired my choice of what to make - a single pin cushion wouldn't take up a pillow case - so I decided to make a whole hand sewing kit. Anyway - onto the pics I hope you enjoy!
Firstly - I started with these rather boring pillowcase - I have uploaded a pic of both as they came together - but have actually only used one.
I decided I had to pretty it up - and decided to do some tie dye - I've been wanting to try some for years. I looked online for patterns and really liked the look of lots of small circles. To get it you have to tie buttons, or some people use grains of rice - all over your fabric - I used string to do so! I DO like the look of it - BUT tying so many buttons on took FOREVER!!!! And all the time I was aware that as my first time tie dying something might go wrong....undoing all of them using a seam ripper took an entire day - tying them on took about 4 days I think (of about 6 hours each day!).
I wanted two contrasting colours and patterns - so decided one would be just straight lines - Purple is my favourite colour and I thought blue would go well with it. This was the scariest stage - the dye was on - and I was petrified that taking the buttons off I would find out it hadn't worked - but I had to leave it to dry overnight rather than taking them off there and then to check!
Yay both methods came out well!
This is the entire set - it consists of a zippered pouch, scissor holder, pin cushion and a needle book.
I started following McCalls pattern M6256, but then went off in a tangent to get the intesting shape rather than it just being a rectangle, I'm quite pleased with how the zipper turned out on this - as it was my first time ever of attaching a zipper to anything.
The lining of the bag
Needle book which includes room for needles, safety pins, and I put a couple of safety pins in to hold some thread. This was my own pattern. The inner pages have both interfacing to keep them sturdy and felt inside them - the idea of the felt was to stop needles showing on the back of the page - and am glad to say it works nicely
The pin cushion was also my own pattern. I wanted it to be deep so I could push pins right the way in so they dont get knocked out while they are in the bag -but the bottoms do not poke out of the bottom so therefore I'm not going to prick myself if I put my hand in to get something out.
Lastly is the scissor case - this was from the same pattern as the bag - but this time I followed all of the pattern:
And finally a shot of the whole kit again on the other pillow from the pair as a "this to that" picture!
Anyway - I hope you like! One day I will enter a challenge without writing an essay alongside it! Sorry!!!!