A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Kit - Pic (and text) heavy!  (Read 1903 times)
Tags for this thread: sewing_kit , pillowcase  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ratfinkz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Rataholic

Animal Mad!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 07, 2013 02:48:38 PM »

I am currently in the process of making friends with my sewing machine. My husbands Grandma gave it to me about 5 years ago - I tried for a few days but couldn't get to grips with it. At the beginning of last year I saw a sewing course advertised - so I thought I would go along. I really enjoyed the course - it was 3 lessons of two hour course. I thought I'd continue using it, so it sat in the corner of the living room staring at me, but I got nervous to use it without someone telling me what to do - and of course, the more I put it off - the more scared I got - so it sat forlorn and unloved behind the livingroom door. In August I joined the rodent revolution swap - and decided to get over my fears and have a go on it! I didn't do very well - but as I'd broken the cycle - decided to keep on playing and try to make friends. I've never been good at sewing - at school when we did sewing I was the girl sat in the corner trying for the entire lesson to thread the darn needle! Still - I can be pretty determined when I need to be - and when I saw this challenge I decided it was the perfect opportunity to learn. I didnt have a pin cushion - and have been saying for ages I need one (I did some hand sewing before) so that inspired my choice of what to make - a single pin cushion wouldn't take up a pillow case - so I decided to make a whole hand sewing kit. Anyway - onto the pics I hope you enjoy! Smiley

Firstly - I started with these rather boring pillowcase - I have uploaded a pic of both as they came together - but have actually only used one.

I decided I had to pretty it up - and decided to do some tie dye - I've been wanting to try some for years. I looked online for patterns and really liked the look of lots of small circles. To get it you have to tie buttons, or some people use grains of rice - all over your fabric - I used string to do so! I DO like the look of it - BUT tying so many buttons on took FOREVER!!!! And all the time I was aware that as my first time tie dying something might go wrong....undoing all of them using a seam ripper took an entire day - tying them on took about 4 days I think (of about 6 hours each day!).

I wanted two contrasting colours and patterns - so decided one would be just straight lines - Purple is my favourite colour and I thought blue would go well with it. This was the scariest stage - the dye was on - and I was petrified that taking the buttons off I would find out it hadn't worked - but I had to leave it to dry overnight rather than taking them off there and then to check!

Yay both methods came out well!

This is the entire set - it consists of a zippered pouch, scissor holder, pin cushion and a needle book.

I started following McCalls pattern M6256, but then went off in a tangent to get the intesting shape rather than it just being a rectangle, I'm quite pleased with how the zipper turned out on this - as it was my first time ever of attaching a zipper to anything.

The lining of the bag

Needle book which includes room for needles, safety pins, and I put a couple of safety pins in to hold some thread. This was my own pattern. The inner pages have both interfacing to keep them sturdy and felt inside them - the idea of the felt was to stop needles showing on the back of the page - and am glad to say it works nicely Smiley

The pin cushion was also my own pattern. I wanted it to be deep so I could push pins right the way in so they dont get knocked out while they are in the bag -but the bottoms do not poke out of the bottom so therefore I'm not going to prick myself if I put my hand in to get something out.

Lastly is the scissor case - this was from the same pattern as the bag - but this time I followed all of the pattern:

And finally a shot of the whole kit again on the other pillow from the pair as a "this to that" picture!

Anyway - I hope you like! One day I will enter a challenge without writing an essay alongside it! Sorry!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

Jack of most crafts master of none.

My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013 03:01:10 PM »

Oh how pretty!  I love the fabric you made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ratfinkz

Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013 03:58:02 PM »

Thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

craftmommy
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013 05:09:06 PM »

Thanks for sharing the instructions.I am going to try it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013 07:08:31 PM »

Good job!  I am in the process of learning how to use a sewing machine for the first time, practicing on my friend's machine... it is both exciting and frustrating.

Good luck in your sewing adventures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Ratfinkz

Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013 07:27:13 PM »

That is great to hear Craftmommy, be sure to send me a pm when you have so I can see how it comes out! =)

Thanks Vincentvanbuck and good luck to you too, I hope you are more successful than I am so far!

if you haven't got one already a seam ripper is a MUST HAVE item....lost track of how many seams I have ripped out and done again!!

=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013 11:32:14 PM »

Thank you for sharing your dying adventure.  I would like to try that myself some day as yours came out very pretty. For the blue with straight lines did you just run gathering threads across the fabric and then pull them up tight?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ratfinkz

Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013 01:57:53 AM »

Nothing so clever I'm afraid, I just tied string tightly round it and knotted it! Needed something quick and simple after the hours it took me to do the button one!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013 01:37:31 PM »

Wow, I can't believe you even went as far as to dye the fabric from the case before crafting with it!  You really transformed the pillowcase -- AWESOME job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013 06:09:51 PM »

Great sewing kit, very useful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Met Gala - Punk Stories: Cara Delevingne Rocks the Look
Met Gala - Daria Werbowy Transforms Into the Ultimate Brooklyn Punk
How to Wear the Sweatshirt Trend
Mondays With André: Marc Jacobs on the Pajamas Trend
Mondays With André: Oxford Union Signature Style
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...