A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: regrowing kitchen scraps  (Read 972 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

p.kok
« on: October 04, 2013 07:13:54 AM »

I've been trying to regrow vegetables from kitchen scraps for two months now  and some of them are actually growing quite well. I tried it with celery, leeks, lettuce and ginger. I thought they will grow a bit faster, but it might be the colder weather and lack of sunlight that is slowing them down (or maybe that's just the speed these vegetables normally grow at, I don't know:))

week 3:

week 8:

The only vegetable I'm not having any real success with is the lettuce. I guess I'm trying with the wrong kind (although I did try 3 different kinds) and it just starts growing the tall flowery part (or whatever that is called) and no leafs.

it looks like this:

So I was wondering, did anyone else try regrowing kitchen scraps and what was your experience with it? I'm thinking about trying it with other plants, but don't trust the general internet any more (since all of the regrowing articles claimed lettuce is perfect for regrowing:)) so I thought I might ask here first:)

ps: If you want to read more about my project, there's a report on my blog: http://pinkasblogblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/04/regrowing-vegetables-an-experiment/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013 09:49:21 AM by p.kok » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013 10:33:25 AM »

Lettuce bolts when it is stressed.

The most common cause for bolting in the UK is excessive heat, but I think under watering contributes too. Once a lettuce has started bolting it can't be rescued (sadly), but you could allow it to flower and save the seed. It might not even be your fault:it may have had the trigger to start bolting before you tried to re-grow it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
stillatthetop
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013 02:57:12 PM »

Agreement on the last post. Lettuce grows best in cooler weather. It can even be "wintered out" where you can pull back the snow so the frost does not "grow" on it. Keep trying! That is half the fun of gardening.

If allowed to bolt, you can still eat it, but it becomes bitter with the flowers. You could also try catching the flower/bolting stalks before they get there to bloom, and pinching them off. That might save enough for an extra meal, or two.

Lettuce is an annual. I have never heard of growing it from scraps. I will have to experiment with that next season. Usually I just purchase the small plants.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013 07:17:03 PM »

Lettuce grows fast and bolts fast with warm weather. I'm guessing that by growing from scraps you are already starting with an older plant. Also, the smaller pots let the roots get too warm causing it to bolt as well. So let it bolt, seed, and then you can grow from seed, which is the best. We always let some lettuce go to seed (ok, we don't just let it, it just does and we are lazy about pulling it out) and usually get very early spring lettuce in the garden. This year we let kale and cilantro reseed itself and now in October are eating lots of fresh kale and cilantro. The kale should last well into the winter her in Connecticut, longer if we protect with some straw. Fresh veggies in winter are the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
p.kok
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013 03:07:08 AM »

I'll try "proper" gardening next year, although we don't really have a lot of space so I'm still not sure which vegetables I'll plant. I'm also used to growing everything from seeds (my father also grows tomatoes and such vegetables from seeds), but it was a bit late for that this year (we moved in the middle of summer).
On a similar note, is it possible to grow lettuce from seeds indoors (in bigger potts) during winter?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013 06:15:27 AM by p.kok » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make HD Videos Using Cyberlink Power Director
How to Design a Haunted House Part 1/3
How to Design a Club Flyer - Putting it all together 13/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Working with Gradients Part 5/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Xenofex Lightning Effect Filter Part 8/14
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...