A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help regarding vintage knitted hunting gloves! -figured it out, thanks♥-  (Read 435 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evilkitten25
♥ Game 'n' Craft ♥

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2013 05:45:49 AM »

My brother and ex boyfriend are avid hunters so my sisterinlaw and I decided to hunt around for a decent hunting glove to make them and 2 weeks ago I ended up finding it in my stock pile of books and booklets i'd been buying for years from thrift stores and yard sales and never had the time to flip through them.

The book is 'gloves and mitts by beehive for the whole family. book no. 80' and the gloves are 'divided mitts and plain mitts' worked on 2 needles [i use to knit them i learned crochet and over the years never knit again and forgot it all so I'm taking babysteps to get back into it..anywho!].

My sisterinlaw and I are having problems adapting this vintage pattern materials for things that exist today. [plus we're both sick with colds and have been looking are her sons who have severe pea/nut allergies and had reactions last night so..ya..fun no sleep].

What I'm guessing is the pattern maybe from the 1950's there's no date but on a website selling the same book they labelled it as such.  And I'm sure the kind of yarn and needle sizes have changed since then.

So my question! finally...[sorry for the drabble]:  The pattern calls for 'beehive superior double knitting patonised wool yarn'; what yarn can match it and what weight class is it?  

Question 2: it calls for the use of 2 needles sized no. 11 Queen bee knitting needles.  What's the equivilant today?

If anyone can help please do.  We need to make these by the 18th as the boys are leaving for 1 1/2 weeks to hunt deer and moose.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013 02:37:12 AM by evilkitten25 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
timiddrake
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013 01:54:29 PM »

I'm almost positive that the yarn weight would be DK. On big box store yarn labels it's usually listed as 3 or light.

The needle size you would need is US size 11.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be.
evilkitten25
♥ Game 'n' Craft ♥

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013 02:36:17 AM »

I spent friday [had the day off] and ripped open every package of straight, circular and dpn knitting needles I had in my posession and checked them all.  A weird thing happened.. out of ALL those old packages my dad got for my from estate/yard sales and thrift stores I ended up having queen bee size 11 and size 12 knitting needles!  So I checked their size in a needle guide and they were 2.75 and 3 mm [respectively] which is what I figured.

I was at my SIL yarn shop and found DK yarn in virgin wool weight 3.  I'm so happy and the swatch I made it bang on target!

Time to get to work today.

Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
timiddrake
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013 05:31:52 AM »

That's great! Happy knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Vintage Coro Costume Jewelry
Hattie Carnegie Design Jewelry
How to Find Unique Jewelry
How to Buy an Antique Engagement Ring
How to Make Teardrop Chandelier Earrings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...