A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quilting cotton  (Read 350 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fiberartist219
« on: October 03, 2013 07:59:16 PM »

I have dozens of yards of quilting cotton fabric. I know it's not designed for garments, but I need some new clothes.... Do you have any favorite patterns or tutorials for either dresses or shirts that call for this type of fabric?

Also, is it possible to trace existing clothing and make a copycat pattern? I have a dress that's made out of a knit fabric, but it fits really well and I am wondering if it is possible to make a similar version in woven fabric... any thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlenaSelene
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013 09:10:21 PM »

Quilting cotton can make fabulous garments. I like to use quilting cotton or sheeting for lining.

The back of the sewing pattern envelope lists the kinds of fabric that will work well with that pattern. Look for sewing patterns that suggest cotton or broadcloth.

The book High Fashion Sewing Secrets shows three different ways to copy a garment to make your own http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Sewing-Secrets-Worlds-Designers/dp/1579544150/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380945495&sr=1-2&keywords=sewing+secrets+from+the+fashion+industry

Or, look up "how to copy a garment" or something similar on Youtube. There's tutorials for everything on Youtube!

Knits vs wovens. Knitted fabric is made from interlocking loops. Woven fabric is made by layering threads in a criss-cross, over and under methods. Knitted fabrics are generally stretchy, woven fabrics generally are not.

If the knit garment you want to copy is stretchy, then nope, it won't work made out of woven. If it has very little stretch you might be able to recreate it in a stretch woven, like stretch denim, broadcloth or satin. The potential new fabric should have as much stretch as the current knit fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013 08:47:24 PM »

I've made lots of clothes from quilting cotton, but the ones that came out best were the ones that were bias cut.  Being on the bias gives the fabric more drape, and a little bit of give.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glass Blowing Safety
How to Use Stencils in Scrapbooking
How to Use Ribbon Sliders for Scrapbooking
How to Use Vellum with Scrapbooking
How to Use Scrapbooking Brads
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...