A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pumpkin Scones Experimentation!  (Read 1917 times)
Tags for this thread: pumpkin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ginerbean
« on: September 11, 2011 03:00:45 PM »

Hey all! I've been craving pumpkin SO BADLY recently and one of the things that I hadn't (until now, of course) attempted to make from scratch is scones! So I found a good lookin recipe on the interwebs:
http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2010/09/27/pumpkin-scones/ and I modified it so I could add a bit more pumpkin (2/3 of a cup instead of 1/2). Unfortunately, I didn't realize how much more wet that would make them, so I ended up adding about a cup more flour! Which totally sucked, because even though my scones still tasted a little bit like pumpkin, they were dryer than I would've liked and were more yellow than orange. Not festive at all, although still delicious!

Then I decided that experimentation was necessary. I still wanted 2/3 cup pumpkin, because I just did. So, using that same recipe, I substituted 1 cup white whole wheat flour for 1 of the all-purpose cups (because whole wheat is supposedly dryer), and kept my 2/3 cup pumpkin ratio. I still needed to compensate a little for the wetness in the dough (+another 1/3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour), but I decided I gave less of a crap about how wet it was because i floured EVERYTHING. Which I think is the key. So tada! More orange, more pumpkin-ish scones! PLUS part whole wheat! Yay! Anything to justify an addiction to sugary carbs!

This last picture is the truest to the color... yum :]

My only other modification to the recipe (both times), is the freezer thing. My freezer (and refridgerator, for that matter) right now is laughably small, so chilling my dough is totally out of the question.

I also have a question for the experienced scone makers out there: how sticky should my dough be? I read somewhere that it's okay for it to be a little bit sticky, but to make sure not to handle the dough in general too much because otherwise the scones will be tough (probably also what happened in my first batch).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011 03:07:29 PM by Ginerbean » THIS ROCKS   Logged

In which I do it my own damn self (DIMODS?): http://ellipsus.blogspot.com/
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011 03:47:26 PM »

I've used this same recipe and I really liked it! I was on the hunt for a pumpkin scone recipe that was just like Starbucks and this one was really good and comparable.

I love the idea of adding whole wheat to it! They look scrumptious!  

SO..not sure how sticky your dough was...if it's kindof losing it's texture when you put it on the board...if it spreads out a bunch and not hold it's shape you need to add more flour carefully. If it's sticky but still holds it's shape? No worries...just don't work it too much and use flour on your work surface(if it's pretty wet dough..it'll absorb the flour really fast so use a lot..at least that's my experience  Smiley)...BUT your scones are definitely going to be more moist after baking. Some like them more dry. I like mine moist.

The main thing...like you said..is to not over work the dough. If it's too sticky in the beginning..it's super hard to add more flour without overworking the dough.
Over working scone dough or any type of bisquity dough will make them tough. And it's REALLY easy to do.

These look wonderful!  Good job!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011 03:49:53 PM by WildBird » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011 05:44:29 PM »

Have you considered using pumpkin in your glaze to have more pumpkin flavor? I bet you could put about a 1/4 cup in there and it would cut a bit of the sweetness and still add flavor. Smiley

Oooo, you could add in some dried cranberries to those scones...nom.nom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011 07:40:10 PM »

In my experience the dough should be sticky.  Handle it lightly with floured hands to form your ball.  The finished product shouldn't be dry - or wet - it should simply feel like it melts in your mouth!  A good scone is hard to come by - hooray for you for working towards one that is just like you want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
Ginerbean
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011 06:43:59 PM »

Thank you all for your input! I think I am going to just add the extra flour initially, now that I know approximately how much more I need... so sticky, but not TOO sticky! And just flour everything lots and lots (especially my hands). Got it! Next step: make the spiced glaze in that first recipe link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lsdetroit
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011 11:05:25 PM »

this would go well with hot cider!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muno
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011 03:15:16 PM »

I'm obsessed with anything pumpkin-flavored, and these look SO good! I will definitely be making these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ginerbean
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011 05:43:56 PM »

Do it! I'm gonna do a remake asap. I have recently acquired 10 cans of pumpkin. Eeeeeee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013 03:39:40 PM »

Ahhhh, I need to make these something fierce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
TheGlobalChameleon
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013 06:54:51 PM »

This look AMAZING!  I have to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Care Secrets
Timo Weiland - Hair Trends - Fall 2010
Permanent Hair Smoothing Treatments
Smoothing Services For African American Women’S Hair
Smoothing Services - Safe and Effective Alternative to Relaxers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...