A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 308,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Branding for your business  (Read 1997 times)
Tags for this thread: branding , logo , advertising  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AnkCreative
« on: August 25, 2014 05:23:25 PM »

Hi everyone!

My name is Angela and I'm a graphic designer and an avid crafter (mostly block printing, card making, and designing my own wrapping paper.)

I'm doing a little branding research to try and see whether or not the crafting community is:

a) interested in branding themselves
b) if yes, what kinds of things do you need? (Logo, business cards, labels, stamps, tags, brochures... etc.)
c) and how much do you typically spend on branding yourselves?

Any feedback is really appreciated!
Thanks for your time  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014 04:42:55 AM »

As a professional full time crafter I found that for me, branding is not part of my business as I do craft fairs as 90% of my income. The other 10% comes from my website.

I do zero on Etsy or the other sites where I'm just one of 300,000 others. Studies show that only the top 2% actually can make a living from those places.

I make my own business cards because I make them 1/8 of an inch longer and wider so the "card collectors" always notice mine in their stack. I only hand out cards at shows to direct people to my website if they're not sure about buying or want to reorder. I'll hand out maybe a hundred cards a show.

I package everything I make with a header showing my product first and my business name and website second. My brand is my packaging. I design and print all my headers too. Cost? Pennies.

Branding for me is not sitting behind a computer 'tweaking' my store, it's actually getting out in front of the customers. Talking to them, bantering with them. They actually get to touch and play, and that is still a major part of commerce today. They remember me because they go home and their neighbor sees my product and wants to know where they got it.

My homemade business cards and homemade packaging are all the branding I need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
shadojake
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014 05:59:31 PM »

Chris,

It is great reading how you "do business."  I would love to go full time in my craft business and am trying to figure it out by watching the pros like yourself, and learning from you.  (You have probably figure it out but I am CoasterGirl at AFI.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
Chris in VT
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014 04:09:09 AM »

As soon as I saw "Coaster Girl" I knew it was you. Sometimes AFI is not for the faint of heart though, as opinions can be strong.

There's new thread here I just replied to. I would like your opinions too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
shadojake
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014 04:42:04 PM »

As soon as I saw "Coaster Girl" I knew it was you. Sometimes AFI is not for the faint of heart though, as opinions can be strong.

There's new thread here I just replied to. I would like your opinions too.

I appreciate all I have learned here and at AFI.  Sometimes we need that strong dose of honesty, especially when it comes from the likes of all the pros at AFI.  There are plenty of good ideas here too, not trying to discount anyone here.

What thread are you referring to here?  Point me in the right direction and I'll take a look at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014 02:18:03 PM »

"Branding" is a real overstatement here, as far as online crafters go. Most are going out of business as soon as they upload their first item for sale. They'll take your logo that's a circle and force it into a rectangle sized banner, breaking the first rule of "branding", not noticing that it looks hideous that way and not really caring if it does, so long as they don't have to pay you extra to make them a proper store or blog banner.

Did you guess yet I'm also a graphic designer? Well, I gave up the crafter crowd some years ago in favor of pre-made stuff I sell on Zazzle. If I have to make a profit of $15, I'm not going to suffer through never-ending "convos" and impossible requests from folks who barely know how to turn on their printer, much less how to print those awesome stickers they said they wanted.

There's a reason why etsy has so many logo sellers carrying $15 price tags. Just sayin'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greatwoodcrafter
GreatWoodCrafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015 01:14:38 PM »

Ok, interesting for new business, do you have a Facebook page?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GreatWoodCrafter:

----> My Garden Crafting Projects
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...