A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dancing Skeletons/Floating Skull: Don't have that, Use this.  (Read 544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sunbala
« on: September 29, 2013 06:49:03 PM »

My 3 year-old fell in love with a few projects that she and I looked at in the Halloween additions of some favorite magazines. She is in the NO-Mommy-Make-It-Like-the-Pictue! phase, so that's what we tried to do, but we were lacking some of the materials and it is hard to get the time to go specialty shopping and do the project. So here is our if-you-don't-have-that-use-this-addition-of-paper-skeleton-crafting.

This first thing she liked was the dancing skeleton- loose arms and legs, dangles from a string, etc.  The one we used was based on clip-art from a certain domestic diva's Webpage. The pattern called for brads, but we had no brads. We did however have a lot of small buttons accumulated from years of family purchases of shirts and sweaters that came with spare buttons. We used the buttons to attach the arms and legs much like you might do for a rag doll teddy bear.

The attachment points on the body and extremities were reinforced with tape and then buttons were sewn on the front and back of each point, sandwiching the moving paper parts in between. To make sure the arms and legs would move well, I passed the thread back and forth through a single hole in the paper at each attachment point.

A surprising number of things can go wrong in this process (see above that I have forgotten to attach the arm under the button- he he) and it is too much for a 3 year old to wait through. However the end result was good and sturdy.

Front

Back

The next project was a floating skull wreath -again based on clip-art from another Home and Out-doorsy kind of magazine. We did go to a craft store to get most of the materials for this one. There was only one melt-down over a plastic dinosaur craft kit that the cruel parent would not purchase.

The instructions called for a scrap of upholstery fabric for the bow- something not carried by the craft store. Wide gauge ribbon would do, but it was $15.99 per roll-a non-starter. However the store carried a selection of $2.99 novelty halloween scarves- Perfect!

The idea for this wreath was to cut black and white felt into 100 1/2 inch wide by 10 inch long strips. We were instructed to wrap the strips around a straw wreath form, pinning each one in place with a straight pin. See picture below. One Hundred 1/2 in strips with a 3-year-old? Forget about it!
We used 50 1 inch wide strips. The 3-year-old pinned about 3 felt strips herself- not bad. She also helped "organize" the strips in a good pile next to our work space.

The instructions called for bamboo skewers to support the skull clip art, sturdy but difficult to achieve the floating aspect for the skull as seen in the magazine. Also, we did not have any bamboo skewers. So we just used thin thread to stitch and X across the back of the wreath. We taped the skull to its vertex. We got very convincing "floating" out of it.

Anyway thanks for reading. Hope your halloween is full of dancing and floating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013 08:09:49 PM »

Nicely done!  And very entertaining to read, too:

She is in the NO-Mommy-Make-It-Like-the-Pictue! phase...

A surprising number of things can go wrong in this process (see above that I have forgotten to attach the arm under the button- he he) and it is too much for a 3 year old to wait through...

We did go to a craft store to get most of the materials for this one. There was only one melt-down over a plastic dinosaur craft kit that the cruel parent would not purchase.

Your story made me chuckle several times  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)
  • August Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Taramor
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013 02:19:12 AM »

They are great - and I can't imagine making it with the 'help' of a 3 year old Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013 07:16:43 AM »

Way to use what you have and make it work! I love your new "vintage" decorations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Heat Chicken in a Mustard Coat
How to Make Turkey Curry Quick and Easy
How to Serve Sausage and Mash
How to Serve a Bacon Roly Poly
How to Stuff Mini Quesadillas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...