A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pick up bubble skirt technique?  (Read 539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prairiejane
« on: September 29, 2013 09:17:10 AM »

I have been trying to find directions or a tutorial to make a bubble skirt with pick ups similar to the one shown in this link: http://media.kohls.com.edgesuite.net/is/image/kohls/854413?wid=400&hei=400&op_sharpen=1

I think I understand in general how to craft a bubble skirt (bottom edge of skirt gets sewn to bottom edge of shorter lining), but I am not finding anything in terms of directions for combining both styles.  Also, alot of the homemade bubble skirts and pick up skirts I'm seeing online seem really amateurish.  Many of the pick ups are just sad.  I'm not sure if they are using the wrong fabric or don't quite have the technique correct.  Do you think there is tulle for fullness between the skirt and lining to make it more poufy and less saggy?   Any idea how you figure out the spacing/placement and depth of the pick ups?  Just drape & pin or is there a method to the madness?  I assume you figure out the # of layers of pick ups you want times the # inches deep and cut the desired length that much longer?  I mean, that makes sense, yes?

If I could find one at a yard sale or thrift shop super cheap, I'd buy it to rip it apart but I've come up empty so far.  My mother-in-law has a hideous 80's style formal dress for a "mature lady" which I'd like to refash into something young & fabulous for my teen.  Mostly to prove to both it can be done. Butt bow and shoulder pads will be the first to go.

Thanks for any guidance or leads you can provide!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krissy.me
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013 08:15:59 AM »

I've never made a bubble skirt/dress before.  But maybe the old fashioned technique of trial and error and error and trial perhaps....   It doesn't look like it would be that difficult, but then that doesn't mean much either until you are in the middle of the project.

Maybe use safety pins to tack the two fabrics together to get the look you want before making a stitch to sew them together.  In the link of the photo that you shared the outer fabric is fairly gathered with it's tuck up and stitches to various areas of the dress.   So maybe make the outer fabric much longer than the inner fabric and make your bubble.  But then that extra fabric allows you to tack up areas so it's not so long but you have the extra fabric to allow for those tacks.  That way your dress isn't as long as it would be without the tacks.  You can adjust the length by how and where you tack up the dress into the lining.  Did I make any sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013 12:49:26 PM »

Decide where you want the pickups--looks like they spaced 8 pickups evenly around the skirt.  The dress you posted has a flared outer skirt is flared, considerably wider at the hem than the waist.  That's why they have so many seams, to allow for gores.

Decide how much poof you want--that looks like 8" to 12" each, you'll have to experiment; measure and mark along the  pickup lines that far apart.

Do the same with your narrower, shorter lining--8 vertical lines, but marked maybe every 4-6"".  Pin the overskirt to the lining at each mark; try on and see what you think, then adjust.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...