A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,406
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boxy Bags  (Read 688 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Krissy.me
« on: September 27, 2013 02:03:56 PM »

I just thought I would share.  I had seen these bags for a long time and I've been wanting to make one forever it seems like.  But just didn't.

While having some down time with a bad fibro flair up I spent some time in bed with my kindle fire HD.... on youtube and pinterest looking at tutorials found on blogs.  I decided that when I felt better I was going to give it a try and I did.  Now I have made SEVERAL of them.

My goal was to make some for specific teachers and admin at the school my kids attend.  My daughter in HS has a favorite teacher that is her choir/band teacher so a music print for her.  My son is special needs and has a para for some of the day.  She has been with my son for 8 years now and she is big into sports, so a basketball print for her.  They tried switching to someone else years ago and that didn't work out as my son doesn't deal with change well.   The principle because I know she had extra work in dealing with my son when he was in elementary school....  There for awhile she had to take time out when he needed it to calm him down so he could go back to class and function the rest of the day so I have been very appreciative of everything she has done for my son.  My youngest daughter has a new to the school teacher so she is unaware of my crafting talents.....  I often give homemade gifts to teachers that I make myself.   Inside the bags I am going to include a small travel size 2.5 oz bottle of lotion that I make myself (from scratch if you do this yourself PLEASE make sure you use the proper preservative for safety reasons) some lip balm and some hand sanitizer.    But that's another story.....  I make it for personal use but I don't mind giving it as gifts and it's labeled properly of course.  With with a pack of gum and a container of mints.  Then tied to the top with a matching ribbon a larger bottle of lotion they can put on their desk.  The principle has told me how much she loves my triple coconut lotion. (made with coconut oil, fractionated coconut oil and coconut milk)

But I add decorative stitching to the top rather than plain stitching.  I also just ordered 10 yards of zipper off the bay with 20 pulls to save myself in buying single zippers at walmart.......  Now to begin playing with that as I want to make some bigger bags than these.  

I do sew them with seams at the bottom so if it's a pattern that has direction you don't have one side that is the right way and the other side upside down!   I also use stiff fusible interfacing on the lining side and on the outer fabric side I use fusible fleece to give it some softness.  I don't want them to be soft saggy bags that don't keep their shape.

I cut the fabric 5.5" wide by 11" long.  The corner seams are 1.5" on the angle.  I do use a quilters ruler and mark my sewing lines for the corners for it's the same on all four corners.  Then I zig-zag over the cut seams on those corners after trimming them for a professional looking finish.  (I should dig out my serger someday)   I do have my zipper longer than needed so that way I don't have to deal with sewing over the pull for a smoother look on the edge.  That makes a big difference!!!

Oh this one is made for the gal that grooms our dogs and boards them when we got out of town.  By daughter also babysits her kids when she needs a sitter and they adore my daughter!  

This is one of my favorites.  I love the black and white with the red inside.  Of course my favorite color is red.....

If you haven't tried making one of these types of bags do give it a go.  They are a lot of fun to make and quite functional.  They have 1001 uses.   There are a lot of tutorials on blogs (easily found on pinterest or google) and video's on youtube to help you figure out how to make them.  I had to re-read blogs and re-watch video's till I got it right.  My first bag wasn't half bad but I learned what I could do better the more that I made. So my first few bags were made from cheap fabric because I was learning.  So I suggest you do the same.  Don't expect perfect on the first try but use cheap fabric but with some practice you can have some pretty cool bags for yourself or give as gifts..... or if your a seller to add to your line up of bags to offer your customers.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013 03:39:45 PM by kaz814 - Reason: edited to comply with craftster rules :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013 03:36:38 PM »

These look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013 07:58:32 AM »

Wow, these are very professional looking.  The recipients must be very grateful to have them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
liliv-1
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013 08:01:47 AM »

Love them, especially the first one, what a great fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cassandra Clare on The Mortal Instruments
Tinsley Mortimer on Her Book Southern Charm
Bethenny Frankel on Her Novel Skinnydipping
Poet Adam Kammerling Performs "Woof Quack Meow, Neigh Moo Oink"
Chris Parkinson Performs His Poem "Men of Straw"
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...