A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginner at sewing  (Read 882 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pawfectgifts
« on: September 25, 2013 01:01:19 AM »

Hi, I wanted to get into sewing and was wondering what I to learn in terms of the basics just to get started. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nofuelleft
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013 03:52:55 PM »

Just start by getting a piece of fabric and  try to sew straight lines.
If that goes ok , try something like a pillowcase
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013 12:22:52 PM »

Start with something you like--I think a lot of girls were turned off to sewing in home ec class when they had to make some ugly skirt.  Choose a pretty, inexpensive fabric--quilting cottons are nice and easy to use.  Get matching thread.  If you're short on money, shop the thrift store for old sheets or skirts and dresses with lots of fabric.  That's called "refashioning."  At this point, avoid fabrics that are slippery, stretchy, or mushy--you want something smooth and firm.

Tools you'll need:
--Fabric shears: scissors made for fabric.  DO NOT use them for anything else, including paper, and hide them from people who might use them for other purposes.  I keep mine inside my sewing machine case so my hubby doesn't find them.
--Straight Pins: to hold fabric together while you work
--Seam ripper: everybody makes mistakes, and this tool will make it easy to fix them.
--Sewing machine and needles
--Hand sewing needles

http://www.craftsy.com/article/beginner-sewing-machine-projects  has tips for sewing machine projects (you didn't say if you had a machine or wanted to hand stitch everything.  If possible, use a machine.  It's faster and sturdier.)

http://sewing.about.com/od/freeprojects/tp/beginnerprojects.htm Has some free beginner projects.

Good luck!  I learned to sew at age 5 with my mom, making slippers out of wash cloths.  I still enjoy sewing many, many years later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pawfectgifts
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013 03:51:54 PM »

Thank you so much for the advice! My mom used to sew but I never picked it up. I just became interested in it recently when I started to learn to crochet and wanted to do some bag linings. I do have a sewing machine(my mom's old one) but I don't have a manual that goes with it so I was a little put off by all the buttons and knobs. I probably will stop by my local thrift store for some fabrics! Thank you again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krissy.me
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013 10:42:47 AM »

Most of all..... HAVE FUN !!!!

Sew things you want and like.  There are many patterns on the net that are non-pattern patterns.  By that I mean basic instructions that are simple to follow.   You can also find a lot of video's on youtube as well.   You can also find a LOT of info on pinterest as well.  I have several sewing folders for different types/projects just to keep them more organized.     

This is one of my recent projects that is more basic instructions rather than a pattern found on the net.   They were a whole lot of fun to sew up.   I hadn't done many zippers in the past but now they are fun to do and hard to do at all.   This is a basic "boxy bag" and there are plenty of great blog tutorials on the net on how to make them.  They can be made large or small, thin or wide all depending on the size of your fabric when you begin as well as your side seams.  I find it best to use a smaller quilting ruler (I think it's a 6x6 ruler give or take an inch or two) to measure and mark my corner seams so it's straight and not crooked. But that's just me as I am giving several as gifts.  For these bags I also used iron on stiff pellon and iron on fleece to give it shape and softness.
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454/iiapco6/misc%20pictures%206/PuppyBag1.jpg
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454/iiapco6/misc%20pictures%206/PuppyBag2.jpg
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454/iiapco6/misc%20pictures%206/PuppyBag3.jpg

If your going to be sewing fabric liners for crochet bags you have made, I would highly recommend investing in a rotary cutter, cutting mat and long quilting ruler.  (about 6" wide by 20some" long)  You can easily cut out squares or rectangles for your bag liners.  I have sewn several bags myself using these tools as I didn't use patterns.   I also used them to cut my fabric for the above cosmetic bags as well.  Using these tools helps to make sure your fabric pieces are square and the right size.  Just remember to allow for seam allowances if your making a fabric liner for your crochet bags.   Then if you wanted to take it a step further you could sew pockets (zippered or open top) into your bag liner to organize stuff before sewing the liner pieces together.   Look at the construction of other bags that are for sale on sites like ebay or etsy to get an idea of how they are put together and if they have pockets or not.  Personally I love pockets in purses as it helps to keep things organized.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
steiconi
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013 07:12:21 PM »

You can usually find the manual online, often for free.  Search the brand and model number of your machine, with the word "manual"  Invest in a little can or bottle of sewing machine oil, and learn to clean and oil the machine.  It will reduce problems and make the machine last longer.

You'll probably only need to use a couple of knobs right off the bat; stitch length (generally, longer for thicker fabrics, shorter for thin ones), maybe the zig zag width, and possibly the tension.

Thank you so much for the advice! My mom used to sew but I never picked it up. I just became interested in it recently when I started to learn to crochet and wanted to do some bag linings. I do have a sewing machine(my mom's old one) but I don't have a manual that goes with it so I was a little put off by all the buttons and knobs. I probably will stop by my local thrift store for some fabrics! Thank you again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pawfectgifts
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013 11:16:46 PM »

Most of all..... HAVE FUN !!!!

Sew things you want and like.  There are many patterns on the net that are non-pattern patterns.  By that I mean basic instructions that are simple to follow.   You can also find a lot of video's on youtube as well.   You can also find a LOT of info on pinterest as well.  I have several sewing folders for different types/projects just to keep them more organized.     

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454/iiapco6/misc%20pictures%206/PuppyBag1.jpg
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454/iiapco6/misc%20pictures%206/PuppyBag2.jpg
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454/iiapco6/misc%20pictures%206/PuppyBag3.jpg

Thank you for the advice! That bag is really cute. I would totally make one for make up bag or something. I was hoping to learn to do little projects first and then when i'm a lot more advanced, making some clothes for myself. Nothing crazy complicated of course.

You can usually find the manual online, often for free.  Search the brand and model number of your machine, with the word "manual"  Invest in a little can or bottle of sewing machine oil, and learn to clean and oil the machine.  It will reduce problems and make the machine last longer.

You'll probably only need to use a couple of knobs right off the bat; stitch length (generally, longer for thicker fabrics, shorter for thin ones), maybe the zig zag width, and possibly the tension.

Thank you. That's good to know. My mom had 3 different machines. I'll try to see which one looks the least complicated and search for the manual on that. There's a few clothes seams that have just come undone that I want to sew back together too. Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Handbag Charms
How to Make Bead Necklaces
How to Make Clay Beads
How to Make Glass Bead Bracelets
Handmade Portraits: Ayşegül & Sebahat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...