A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mrs. Frizzle Style Dress  (Read 1200 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hypie367
« on: September 29, 2013 12:16:26 PM »

Hey everyone I decided that I'm going to be Mrs. Frizzle this year for halloween and I'd like to sew/recreate a dress that is fairly accurate, including the collar and long puffy sleeves. Does anyone know of any sewing patterns or online tutorials that I can check out to get me started? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krissy.me
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013 08:08:50 AM »

I saw this idea on Pinterest and thought my daughter (age 9) would like it as well as she loves that show and is really big into the planets and is always drawing them and talking about them.

I've just started looking on eBay for a "similar" pattern.   But personally I'm not going to get bent out shape if it doesn't have the right neckline or sleeves.  I think any pattern that is a dress that is sorta similar with a planet print fabric will get the idea across to anyone who is familiar with the show.

I suggest eBay because a lot of people list older vintage patterns that might work for you.  Etsy may also be a place to look for patterns as well.

But it shouldn't be hard to adjust the sleeves on an existing pattern to make them longer and puffier if you wanted to.  As long as you keep the part that meets the shoulder of the pattern the same.  You can modify the rest of the pattern on the sleeve I would think.....   You can buy drafting fabric stuff at walmart it's like a light pellon with dots on it.  I've used it a number of times to draft my own patterns.

If you had your heart set on that type of neckline I'm not much of a help on drafting a pattern to do that, other than to cut the original pattern apart.   Then adding seam allowances back into the cut portions when you put it back together.   Or sewing your fabrics together and then cutting them out as if they were one piece.  Either might work if you were creative.   You might also be able to add a collar from another pattern onto a pattern you were using for the dress to get the that part of the dress. 

Just a couple of idea, and good luck. 
If you think of it, upload picts of the finished dress and share! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013 12:35:34 PM »

I would look for a shirt pattern with placket and collar; if the sleeves are too narrow, add width; if too short, add length.  Sleeves are easy to make bigger, a little harder to make smaller.

Once I had the bodice, I would add a circle or gored skirt--probably easier to make a separate skirt than a dress with attached skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 16/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 1/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 12/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 13/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 10/29
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...