A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini Phoenix Painting  (Read 715 times)
Tags for this thread: phoenix , acrylic  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Magpirate
« on: September 24, 2013 06:38:04 PM »

I made a little phoenix painting!  It's acrylic on a four-inch by four-inch mini canvas.  I put a pile of ashes at the bottom to indicate that he's just been reborn, but I'm not sure that I like it.  I may end up painting it over.

I thought acrylics were supposed to be opaque, but when I was painting the blue, I put about seven coats on and I could still see the edges of the green under it.  Tongue  I eventually had to paint white where I wanted blue, then put a few coats of blue over that.  So why is my white paint opaque and the blue not?  Did I not mix the blue enough before painting?  Do I just have cheap paint?  Could it have anything to do with the fact that I've had these paints since college (five years ago)?  I didn't think paint could go bad, other than drying out, but maybe it's time for a fresh bottle of blue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013 07:34:44 PM »

Love your painting!

I thought acrylics were supposed to be opaque, but when I was painting the blue, I put about seven coats on and I could still see the edges of the green under it.  Tongue  I eventually had to paint white where I wanted blue, then put a few coats of blue over that.  So why is my white paint opaque and the blue not?  Did I not mix the blue enough before painting?  Do I just have cheap paint?  Could it have anything to do with the fact that I've had these paints since college (five years ago)?  I didn't think paint could go bad, other than drying out, but maybe it's time for a fresh bottle of blue.

I'm not an expert on this, but I do know from my own experience that not all acrylics are opaque.  Look on the bottle -- if you are using artist's acrylics (as opposed to craft paints), then the label will probably list whether the hue is "opaque", "translucent" or "transparent" (that terminology probably changes depending on the manufacturer).  Also, the cheaper paint brands ("student level" as opposed to "artist" or "professional") have less pigment and more filler, so I believe it sometimes takes an extra coat or two with them to get the same quality of coverage as a more expensive brand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
AugustBell
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013 06:56:05 AM »

Oh, don't paint over it! He is so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013 12:22:49 PM »

Cute! I love the colors you choose, the wings yellow to red and the backdrop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Magpirate
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013 06:29:38 PM »

Oh, don't paint over it! He is so cute!

Thanks!  And don't worry, I won't paint over the phoenix, just (possibly) the pile of ashes at the bottom.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013 09:35:14 PM »

great phoenix! 

high pigment paint=big bucks in my experience (especially the blues) so I often underpaint with white as well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
stillatthetop
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013 02:00:21 AM »

You have your answers here. And I agree. Primer, your white helps tremendously. {Gesso the canvass?} As does spending extra for your paints, but not always necessary. What a beautiful bird. You did well working with what you had. It sometimes takes extra steps. And yes, certain paints do go bad, in addition to the dry out problem. They "sour" and the pigment will not adhere anymore.

The term for that is "flaking". Acrylic is not so common for this, oil paints have the worst trouble with this. They are not elastic like acrylic. But different brands have different properties based upon what they are mixed with. And the quality of ingredients used in them. I am not saying that money buys love, because I have got cheap paints of grand quality. But cost is usually a signal that you are getting a quality product.

To add to the life of acrylic? Clear silicone sealer added in. That is what dries out in them. Oils...linseed oil. Adds to the life of the paints. Also store the bottles upside down. Makes it easier to mix them, and seals the air out of the bottles. For tube paints...zippy bags. Again, sealing out air. And room temperature is important. Don't keep them in the trunk of your car!

You did wonderful. I love your birdie. I hope you make more projects like this.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cambodian Stir Fried Tofu Recipe
Coconut Rice With Shrimp Recipe
How to Make an Indonesian Beef Stew
How to Make Thai Chicken Pizza
How to Make Kimchi with Chef Judy Joo
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...