A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,859
Currently Running With Scissors:
800 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rogue and Wasp Cosplay for the wee one  (Read 3834 times)
Tags for this thread: cosplay , featured_project , category_featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 24, 2013 12:28:34 PM »

The 2nd annual Rose City Comic Con was just this past weekend.  My 5 year old daughter Aria decided on not one but TWO costumes.  Makes sense considering there are two days of comic con.  Her first request was Rogue and the second was Wasp from The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  I'll provide links to my supplies and tutorials after each photo.

First up is Rogue.  

Leotard:
I used Kwik Sew 3103 for the pattern.  I had to do a little color blocking to get that classic green/yellow Rogue look.  It was quite an adventure as I'd never worked with spandex before.  Thankfully, I have a serger and after buying some wooly nylon thread, it actually wasn't too bad to work with.    The spandex is Milliskin Shiny four way stretch and I got it from the Spandex House . I used the left overs to make her boot covers and gloves and headband.
Belt:
The belt used to be a Men's large belt that I simply cut down.  I bought a belt buckle blank off an etsy shop and used duct tape to make the X-Men logo.  I considered using resin and really getting technical but I decided that this would enable me to change up her belt buckle for future costumes.  Resewing the buckle onto the belt was a cinch with my beautiful Bernina 350 PE.  Oh my goodness, I love that machine so much (Thanks, Craftster for the chance to play and then later buy the machine).  
Jacket:
I couldn't find a bomber jacket pattern for the life of me so I ended up using Cali Faye Collection's DrewB Blazer pattern .  I simply cropped the design a lot to get the right look.  The jacket was made from this weird faux leather fabric.  I liked it because comic cons can get kind of hot and I wanted something light weight.  I made up a felt patch for it and sewed it on by hand.  
Accessories:
The boots are simple knee high boots that I covered with spandex boot covers using this tutorial I found online.  The gloves I made simply tracing her hand on some paper.  I figured the spandex would stretch enough to not need little finger gussets.  The white hair was bought from I Kick Shins on Etsy.   I didn't want to use messy hair paints or harsh chemicals.  

The best part?  She had a blast getting so much attention.  We entered her into the 14 and under costume contest at the end of the night.  She got up on that stage in front of a huge crowd of people all by herself.  And she took second in the contest.  She was beyond the moon to have placed.  

Next up is Wasp.  

Dress:
I used a Cali Faye Collection pattern again.  This time the Simply Chic Dress pattern.  I obviously left off the collar and did some color blocking.
Head set:
I used two push lights and simply drilled holes in them to stick little dowel rods into them.  I spray painted them yellow and added black detailing.  They were then attached to a black headband.  
Accessories:
I used the same boots and gloves from the Rogue costume.  Wings were made from thick wire, nylon hose, and spray paint.  

Aria insisted on cutting her hair for the Wasp costume for authenticity.  Like the day before, she got a lot of attention and loved every second of it.  The best part of the second day though was running into the head writer for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon.  He called us over to his table and asked me to take a photo of the two of them together on his phone.  He told Aria how he wrote the show and that his favorite character was Wasp.  She was awe-struck and stood there smiling at him shyly.  Now she wants to write him a letter.  heh.  

update (9/27): Since we got that picture, Aria has been saying daily that she wants to send him a letter.  Today while watching his cartoon, she drew him a picture.  I looked all over the internet looking for an address that fans can send him things.  Finally, I found his twitter account and told him that Aria AKA Wasp from Rose City Comic Con really wanted to send him something and asked him if there was an address for fans to send such things.  He sent me an address immediately via a PM and said that I made HIS day.  What a completely down to earth and amazing man.  He earned himself some lifelong fans in this household.  Smiley

We've already bought our tickets for the Emerald City Comic Con and Aria is trying hard to think of who to go as.  Since its only 6 months away and we plan on going the third Rose City Comic Con next year, I may try to steer her towards something more simple...like Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service.  Heh.  We'll see if she goes for it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013 10:44:52 PM by rlynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CabinArts
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013 12:48:18 PM »

Wonderful!! These costumes turned out amazing! I especially think the Wasp is fab, and her actually cutting her hair for it, way too cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013 12:49:42 PM »

WTG mom, you daughter looks fantastic in both her costumes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
lady leeann
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013 12:59:07 PM »

What beautiful costumes!  You're daughter looks absolutely radiant in them!  Nothing like some mother and daughter bonding over geekery.

Bravo for braving new materials.  I am absolutely intimidated by stretch materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaylefrancis
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013 03:14:11 PM »

I was there all weekend and somehow missed her! She's adorable, and good on you keeping up with her fairly intensive costume needs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013 04:19:42 PM »

They are both adorable, but I simply LOVE the Wasp one!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
miasu
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013 04:30:58 PM »

LOVE THIS! She rocked those outfits, and reading the story was just so uplifting Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013 06:49:12 PM »

I was there all weekend and somehow missed her! She's adorable, and good on you keeping up with her fairly intensive costume needs.

It was pretty big.  I was impressed with it considering its only the second one.  I hope you had as much fun as we did.  

Thanks everyone for the compliments and kind words.  I swear I have just as much, if not more, fun as Aria does.  I'm so grateful she actually gets excited about cosplaying.  I hope she lets me make her costumes for awhile...you know...at least until she starts making her own.  Wink

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013 07:05:38 PM by rlynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyLynn98
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013 06:57:53 PM »

She is the cutest lil'Rogue I've ever seen!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013 07:25:54 PM »

Totally awesome!  Can I be your daughter? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
JD and Rebecca Discuss What You Are Probably Doing Wrong In the Shower
Top 3 Products to Stop Scars or Fade the Ones You Have
Winter Weather Skin Survival Tips
Special Scents for Your Valentine
ELLE Fashion Olympics: Haute Couture Makeup Challenge
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...