A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Necesary permits and/or licenses for craft fairs & bazaars  (Read 883 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SuzanLivingstone
« on: September 22, 2013 10:35:06 AM »

Hi All

I know the question will vary with location and state.... but wanted to see what others are experiencing and seeing.  I'm here in Northern CA.  Have been looking at upcoming craft fairs and holiday bazaars.  almost all of them so far seem to state you have to have at least a seller's permit.  Although I'm trying to find out if you can get say a temporary one without getting an actual business license.  Something just for just the holiday season.  Some also seem to have local permits required, even a simple peddlers permit to do business for the event.  I've seen a couple that also require you to have liability insurance (up to $1million)

At least to me it gets confusing what permits and/or licenses you need, plus of course whether or not you have to charge taxes on the products sold (just seems a little odd at times charging tax on bazaar items but if its required)...

I'm also noticing that over half of the craft fairs are juried, which I guess thats ok, but I'm not interested in juried fairs at the moment

Suzanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013 04:37:37 AM »

As far as necessary permits go, contact the town the fair is located in, and ask what permits are necessary. Many times the promoter of the fair will also guide you in the right direction.

I don't know anything about California, but in the states I do shows in, all you need is a "resale certificate". That's your tax ID. You are required by law to "collect", not "charge" taxes on your sales. You are the collection agent for the state. Some states allow you to include the tax in the price, but that means you have to take that percentage of your sales and send it in.

Insurance? Always a good thing to have. What if a wind comes up and blows your canopy away and hits someone? What if a kid spills his drink in your booth and you don't see it? Along comes an elderly lady who slips & falls. You're liable. The insurers for the venues want the exhibitors to be insured so they don't have to pay.

Juried fairs? That could mean everything from wanting photos just to make sure you make your work all the way up to paid juries examining your photos for quality of the work. When you get to that level, you have professional photo shoots of your work.  90% of juries just want to make sure crafters are in the fair and not people who just open boxes from China.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudio s.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Flaming Text in Gimp
How to Change the Film Speed in Windows Movie Maker
How to Change the Audio of Your Videos in Windows Movie Maker
Turn Yourself Into a Vampire in Gimp
How to Use Mario Paint Composer
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...