A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled Magazine pages to a Party Ball decor  (Read 3524 times)
Tags for this thread: magazine , party_decoration , paper , ball , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pinkonnet
« on: September 20, 2013 03:53:04 AM »

What do you do with old magazines??? instead of throwing them away .....Learn how to make recycled magazine party balls and save some money next time you decorate for a celebration! Make these unique looking party balls for free and embellish your party space within minutes...

Step 1: You start with using a 7 1/2" plate for your circle pattern. Use the sketch pen to make the outline and cut to shape using a scissor.

Step 2:Fold the circle into 12 equal pie parts on similar lines as shown along side.

Step 3:Once the circle is folded notch on the folds using the scissor.

Step 4:Draw a line along the diameter of the circle at the centre. Trace around the plate once again on a stack of 15 magazine papers. Fold your pattern and draw a line through the centre of the circle. Staple the stack together on the line drawn atleast at 3 points. Placing the pattern make notches on the front page of the stack as shown...

Step 5:Cut out the stack of circles using the scissor. You make notice that due to the polished smooth surface of the magazine, if the staple clips are not stapled at 3 points the pages may move giving uneven edges and wrong output.
Using the scissors make notches on the stacked papers exactly on the marked points.

Step 6:Time for the final touches....First fold the stack into half on the line drawn.  Starting with the outermost page using the hot glue gun, make 3 glue dots as shown with one in centre and the other two in the notches on either side.

Turn to the next ge and glue 2 dots on the remaining two spots. Continue the same for the remaining sides...first 3 dots...then two...thus a make a glue dot on every other notch. Continue alternating the glued notches until there are no more pages left. Each stack of 15 magazine pages makes one half of each party ball. In similar fashion complete both sets of 15 magazine papers each.

Step 7:Once each half is ready they looks gorgeous! Hot glue each of these halves together and also place a ribbon on between the two party ball haves....

For the entire free tutorial with pictures visit http://www.pinkonnet.com/recycled-party-ball
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014 11:04:49 AM by sweets4ever - Reason: Edited to bring tutorial info to first post! :-) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013 06:46:10 AM »

That is cute. I'll bookmark the tute for later, but you could post that here and be approved as a tutorial contributor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Pinkonnet
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013 03:50:16 PM »

Hi this is for you...hope this helps!!!

Step 1: You start with using a 7 1/2" plate for your circle pattern. Use the sketch pen to make the outline and cut to shape using a scissor.

Step 2:Fold the circle into 12 equal pie parts on similar lines as shown along side.

Step 3:Once the circle is folded notch on the folds using the scissor.

Step 4:Draw a line along the diameter of the circle at the centre. Trace around the plate once again on a stack of 15 magazine papers. Fold your pattern and draw a line through the centre of the circle. Staple the stack together on the line drawn atleast at 3 points. Placing the pattern make notches on the front page of the stack as shown...

Step 5:Cut out the stack of circles using the scissor. You make notice that due to the polished smooth surface of the magazine, if the staple clips are not stapled at 3 points the pages may move giving uneven edges and wrong output.
Using the scissors make notches on the stacked papers exactly on the marked points.

Step 6:Time for the final touches....First fold the stack into half on the line drawn.  Starting with the outermost page using the hot glue gun, make 3 glue dots as shown with one in centre and the other two in the notches on either side.

Turn to the next ge and glue 2 dots on the remaining two spots. Continue the same for the remaining sides...first 3 dots...then two...thus a make a glue dot on every other notch. Continue alternating the glued notches until there are no more pages left. Each stack of 15 magazine pages makes one half of each party ball. In similar fashion complete both sets of 15 magazine papers each.

Step 7:Once each half is ready they looks gorgeous! Hot glue each of these halves together and also place a ribbon on between the two party ball haves....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013 03:06:57 PM »

Very lovely. And great instructions. I have made something similar, but I did mine with tissue paper, only did half, and put it inside an altered book as a pop-up feature when that page was opened. I like your idea with the magazines. Lord knows I have tons of those EVERYWHERE. I was wondering a good project for some of them.

Maybe another idea would be old phone books? And ink the edges of the sheets, for a nifty color mix. Newsprint takes rubberstamp ink well. Ooops...I would switch to a different glue for the newsprint. Elmer's will wrinkle it. I would go with a silicone base, or something with an "oil resist" to it. I would glue every other set of pages together, with wax paper between signatures, then dry, and go back for the go betweens. Darn. I need to get my camera set up and blog  Roll Eyes

You can also cut bell shapes {wedding}, Hearts {Valentine} same process, you just have to figure out the best place for the accordian offset, for the honeycomb part. Great share.  Grin

I have also done similar with fabric for holiday ornaments. No glue, just bar tack stitching for where the felt or fabric is needed to honeycomb. Machine or by hand. Starch fabrics first. And smaller for the tree. I don't remember how many "pages" that I put into those...I think I just had to experiment based on the thickness of the fabrics. I just used scraps.

~T
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013 03:21:10 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
WitchyPuOnline
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014 02:05:06 PM »

Thanks for sharing, this will be a great summer project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beware the "crafter" after midnight!

Swaps
OTST:Done
LV:current
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014 04:50:53 AM »

Gorgeous, and a great use for old magazines!

Thank you for adding the tutorial, we really appreciate it! Smiley
(I've put the tutorial in for adding to our list so that should be done for you shortly.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jusiestyle
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014 06:14:15 AM »

This is such a great idea! Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014 07:36:36 AM »

This is crazy smart! Thank you for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014 09:57:43 PM »

I have been wondering how these are made! Thank you for sharing! *ROCKS*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
* Beatriz *
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014 01:03:54 PM »

OMG!!! Lovely  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Pixie Hairstyles for Weddings
Create 16 Hairstyles With 2 Clip-In Hair Extensions
How To Get A Perfect Voluminous Blowout At Home Like A Pro
How To Do A Goddess Up Do
Tips On Avoiding Hair Loss From Bleaching
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...