A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crocheted necklaces and bracelets (3 images)  (Read 478 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gaylefrancis
« on: September 18, 2013 11:33:53 PM »

Not sure exactly where this one lives, as it is crochet and jewelry, but I also don't wanna double-post, so I figured, since I have plenty of yarn-based projects, jewelry gets this one. Feel special or something.

I got into beading during a stretch of unemployment that lasted way longer than I was expecting. Being a crocheter, I pretty much started out trying to crochet on wire, as it's a really lovely bit of work if you can pull it off. I'm not sure I can pull off the fancier stuff, but basic crochet stitches and beads worked out pretty well for me.

First up, the one I call "typewriter ribbon" because it's red, black, and white. The larger beads were a bulk buy. I strung them two at a time and crocheted them in pairs. The black beads are just basic seed beads. I really love this set, which is great as I'm the only one it fits (all my friends/family have slightly larger wrists than me, and the bracelet is a tight fit).

Next up, as they were made the same way, are a necklace and bracelet that aren't a set but that's only because they're not the same colors. First up is the necklace that I've always thought of as "cotton candy" because of the color scheme. The larger beads are stone, circular beads with the holes running through their centers. I crocheted the larger beads onto the wire separated by seed beads, and when I ran out of the large beads, I strung on white seed beads to finish it off. This one weighs a ton, and I always forget it before I slip it on for a full day at work. (Also, it hurts like crap when you forget you're wearing it and decide to jog to the bus stop.)

Finally, the bracelet I named "Clacky Taffy" because I'm not great at names and the bright colors made me think of junk food. Completely crocheted, even the clasps are crocheted on. It's the same style round bead as above with the same seed bead spacers, just in yellow instead of white. It's a heavy bracelet, much like the necklace, but the friend I gifted it to just loves it, so what do I know?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013 05:48:43 AM »

These are all nice, but I'm particularly drawn to the colours on the first set.  I've done a few crochet necklaces before, and quite like them.  But I've always done a large open stitch on  the ends; your tight stitch is much nicer looking. and I will try doing that on my next one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
gaylefrancis
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013 08:46:10 AM »

These are all nice, but I'm particularly drawn to the colours on the first set.  I've done a few crochet necklaces before, and quite like them.  But I've always done a large open stitch on  the ends; your tight stitch is much nicer looking. and I will try doing that on my next one.

On the necklaces, I created a loop in the wire, fastened it off with a crimp bead, and then started to crochet, and when I got to the other end, I created another loop and fastened it off as well then attached the wire for the seed beads separately. I found creating a small wire to loop the other wire through helped keep my stitches under control pretty well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013 10:16:08 AM »

Thanks for the explanation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pooris Bread
Chicken Curry Sauce Recipe
What Is Chutney
How Tamarind Is Used in Indian Recipes
Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...