A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,631
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial -- "Luna" Layered Movable ATC with pull tab -- lots of pics!  (Read 3368 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , craftster_best_of_2013 , washi_tape  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SenatorOrgana
« on: September 18, 2013 08:11:21 AM »

I made this card for the August ATC swap – deathbeforedishes has a Solar System theme! I wanted to attempt a movable ATC, and I think it came out pretty nice for my first one. It’s slightly different from the other movables posted in the Tutorials, so I figured I would also contribute a tutorial.  Smiley

In retrospect, there are a couple of steps I took that turned out to be unnecessary, and a few things I would do differently if I were to make a card like this again – but all that’s in the notes!

Here’s what you need:
Papers, pens, and markers of your choice
ATC Base (I use a cereal box) and extra cardboard
Adhesive (I use an Elmer’s XTreme glue stick which I’ve found to be very effective)
Foam tape or other 3-dimensional adhesive
Scissors/paper cutter/ X-Acto knife
I used Mountains and Clouds Movable ATC Tutorial for reference – http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=416277.0#axzz2fFqVkmyS, it's awesome!

HOW TO MAKE A LAYERED MOVABLE ATC

Step 1: Design your Card

I knew I wanted to have a smiling moon hidden behind two clouds, and it would be revealed by pulling the larger cloud away, as if the cloud was drifting away in the wind.  Smiley

I labeled the layers: #1 is the background/ATC base, #2 is the moon, which sits “below” #3 the small cloud, which sits beneath #4 the large cloud. The large cloud will be attached to a pull tab so it can be pulled away to reveal the smiling moon!

I also did a couple sketches of the moon face. Deathbeforedishes had requested something "cutesy", so I went with the one on the right.

Step 2: Create your parts

1. The Base/background: Cut your ATC base material (cereal box) to size. YOU DO NOT NEED TO COVER THIS PIECE as it will not show. I wasn’t thinking that far ahead and I could have saved some of that awesome star paper (my favorite!). But, if you’re so inclined, you can cover it in a plain paper.

2. The upper background piece: Cut your background paper to size (2.5 in x 3.5 in). **In the original tutorial, the movable piece moves within the confines of the card, and so requires a “channel” in which to move. Since the movable piece for this card moves outside of the borders of the card, this channel is NOT required – another unnecessary step!**

3. The clouds: I cut the cloud shapes out of cereal box cardboard, and then traced them onto gray cardstock and cut those out. I added highlights with silver metallic marker. Backing the shapes with cardboard makes them thicker and sturdier.

4. The moon: I did the same for the moon – cut the shape out of cardboard; traced onto gray cardstock and cut it out. I drew on the face in pencil first then went over it with a Micron pen and added highlights.

Step 3: Placement

Figure out where you want everything to go. I knew I wanted the moon to be almost completely covered by the clouds when closed, with just a tiny bit peeking out. As you can see, it’s also a bit hidden on the left side by the smaller cloud.

Step 4: Create the pull tab

Cut a piece of your background paper, about 2 inches wide and about 3 inches long. Fold in half, then unfold and fold both edges in to center crease (approximately-ish!). Glue down the folds. Fold one end over a tiny bit so it’s easy to grab, and trim any bits that stick out.

Check your placement! Lay the pull tab where you want it to go, and cut out a small notch in both the upper background piece as well as the base. This makes it much easier to grab the tab.

Step 5: 3-D it

Use foam tape, or like me, if you don’t have any foam tape, some spare foam picture mounting squares cut into strips. Add a line of foam all around where your pull tab will rest to create a channel, and then add a border around the rest of the card so it’s of consistent thickness.

Check to make sure the pull tab has enough space to move smoothly in and out.

Step 6: Compile

Once you’re satisfied with your placement and the size and shape of your pieces, attach the decorated cloud and moon parts to their cardboard backings.

As you can see, the back of the large cloud will show once it’s pulled out – so make sure you cut a back piece for it as well! (Also cut a paper backing for the base – I went with the same gray cardstock I used for the clouds and moon.)

The smaller cloud and the moon don’t need paper on the back since they’ll be attached. Speaking of which, go ahead and prep them for attaching to the background. For the moon, since I want it to be on the lowest “level” (as in, I want it to sit below the small cloud), I used glue dots. **Unnecessary step #3: I left the R side of the circle open since it was going to overlap the (unnecessary) tab slot** I used more of the foam mounting square to mount the small cloud, so it sits up a bit higher than the moon.

Attach the pieces to the background, then attach the background to the base!

Since I wanted the large cloud piece to move OFF of the card base itself, I attached it to the tab on the R side of the cut, using the largest piece of foam possible for the most stability.

Make sure it works!

I used an inkpad to accent the edges; if I’d had a bit more foresight I would have done this to all of the loose pieces before I attached them. I also would recommend using some sort of tape around the edges of the card to hide the layers if desired. I looked all over for some sort of black washi tape but couldn’t find anything before the deadline to send it off, so I didn’t do that, but it would cover up the layers if you’re not crazy about them.

And done!

The one thing I would like to have added but couldn't figure out how is a "stopper" of some sort. Right now, the tab can be pulled all the way out. Any ideas on how to add something to stop it from doing so, without said stopper showing? Please let me know! Smiley Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

~best of 2013 winner!~

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013 11:32:17 AM »

Great card; I loved it in the swap Smiley

If you construct the pulltab like a "T", you could stop it by narrowing the "padding".....

Wait.. even easier... here's a crappy pic to show what I mean Smiley

Don't know if that made it easier to understand what I meant... *laughs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SenatorOrgana
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013 06:42:45 AM »

Oh that's a great idea, thanks!! See, I knew there had to be a way to do it.  Cheesy thanks so much, I'll definitely keep that in mind the next time I make one like this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beautifulsoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Born a Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013 11:53:32 AM »

Thanks for this post! I attempted to make a moveable ATC which failed Embarrassed I will likely need a few tutorials first like this one. Beautiful! Although, I have all supplies except the foam tape. darn. *slouches*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amber
Cincinnati,OH
Interested in personal swaps!
www.ambernewmanjewelry.etsy.com
www.pinterest.com/missamberen/boards
JAM Paper
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013 07:17:21 AM »

This is so cool. Looks like a lot of steps, but well worth it. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monkeyking
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013 11:32:44 PM »

A great tutorial, very specific and detailed. Thank you. I often relax on friv after hours of hard work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrlvn

New to craftster...but ancient to crafting :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013 02:48:14 PM »

I love this! I want to make one right now, but I think I will need a bit of that foam stuff first...it definitely seems to do the trick quite appropriately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Loves to scrapbook, make cards, stamp, draw, paint, doodle, and journal
http://www.pinterest.com/somergardner/
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014 06:47:46 PM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2013 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2013 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014 08:21:07 AM »

Thanks for the great tutorial, and congrats on the win! You made us proud on the Papercrafts board!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
lilly96
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014 10:29:03 AM »

Omg this is so freaking cute I was looking for a moons and stars cause i have to make a moons and stars atc. I love your idea. You had ask how can you make you pull tab to stop from coming out! I think that if you make the tab lool like a tiny T maybe that will keep it from coming all the way out. Thank you for sharing. Might have to use your idea. Thanks  Grin   :)again
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet K.L. Cao of SecretLifeofaBioNerd
Meet Celebrity Makeup Artist Jamie Greenberg
Meet Cara Brook of Maskcara
Meet Nail Expert Sophy Robson
Get a Saturday Night Disco Look with Binky Felstead
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...