A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Revamping, rebranding, and splitting my Etsy shop  (Read 525 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 17, 2013 12:05:09 PM »

I currently have an Etsy shop in which I sell both handmade jewelry and vintage items. I have been neglecting the shop for ages, but I am getting more serious about jewelry and would like to phase out vintage. I feel like the best way to do this is to split the shop in two - one for vintage and one for handmade. I feel like the vintage may "cheapen" the handmade stuff in a way. I am also trying to do more sales locally and want more professional branding for my jewelry. I have been searching for a good name and nearly everything I have come up with is taken! It's very frustrating! Even names I think are really obscure. So I have narrowed it down to 3 that I think are "safe" and I like all 3. And advice or opinions on these?

1. Beeswing Designs
2. Girl and Wolf
3. Sans-Culottes

I am leaning toward Beeswing, I think the logo and so on could be really fun. But some people don't like that it could be "Bee's wing" or "Bee Swing" (I kinda like that)

Girl and Wolf sort of refers to my sidekick, my dog Milou, who I sometimes call "the werewolf" when he's naughty. People seem to like it but I am worried that ___ and ___ names are played out.

Sans-Culottes is kind of funny to me. It means "without undies" in French, which is kinda sassy, but it's also the name of a left wing political group during the French Revolution. I am interested in politics and history, although it has nothing to do with my jewelry, but I like the double meaning. I'm also kind of a Francophile.

So, which of these shops would appeal to you most?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013 02:13:21 PM »

I think the most important criteria should be that it's a name you feel excited about and connected to. If it's something you're amped about, that will show in your branding and people will respond to it.

Based on that, I think Beeswing Designs is the winner. I agree that you could do some really cute things with the logo and other branding materials.

My personal favorite is Girl and Wolf. However, it teeters on Little Red Riding Hood which has gotten a lot of air time with the popularity of woodland themes lately. As long as you didn't do a logo with a red hood, I think it would be fine though.

I love the hidden meaning behind Sans-Culottes but I think it's too hard for average-Joe-consumer to pronounce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013 10:05:28 AM »

I'm liking Beeswing Designs Smiley  You definitely could do some cool branding with that one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013 05:24:15 AM »

I think you should leave the "design" off of Beeswing, there's no need to add a 'qualifier' to a name like that.

As far as separating the two stores, I say forget the phasing out and just cut off the vintage and open the new store. If you want a new image, the old one must go - the sooner it's gone, the sooner you can focus 100% on the new you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lior Lev Secarez: Serving Innovation
Cuban Sandwiches: Use Your Leftover Pork Roast
How to Make Delicious Burgers
How to Make Donuts
How to Make Pete’s ‘Combo’ Pizza
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...