A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
796 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best Yarns for Projects?  (Read 425 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrskristina
« on: September 15, 2013 10:30:55 PM »

Ok, so maybe this topic has already been brought up, but when I searched for it in the forum I wasn't able to find a good post.

What brands/types of yarns do you all use for various projects? I know that acrylic is not the best, but I am doing a lot of 'practice' projects and it is a fraction of the price to screw up. Smiley

This is what I have found so far:

*Lion Brand homespun was a very nice, thick yarn that was very easy to work with. I loved the texture and the thickness of it made my hat go very quickly. It has also been through the washing machine a few times and has held up nicely. I think this is a lot softer than the cheap-o Red Heart Super Saver stuff, but not the softest out there.

*Red Heart Super Saver - very stiff and itchy. I have used it to make a rug before and that seemed to work out nicely. It washed up well!

*Caron Simply Soft is one of my go to's. It is fairly cheap and it is very smooth and soft. The quality seems pretty good for the price. Scarves and even socks seem to hold up well with this yarn.

*Caron One Pound - I have a love-hate relationship with these. They are a fair price but I have yet to go through a single project without finding some knot in the middle of the ball of yarn and having to spend a good hour unwinding it. It's so frustrating.

What has been your experience? Any recommendations??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013 07:08:04 AM »

There's no one best yarn for knitting, they all have different uses for different projects. Who say acrylic is not the best to use, and why? I use it for almost all my knitting. They don't behave any different from the wool I've used, and you just block it with a wash and dry. Which is all I do with the wool things too.

The trick with Lion Homespun is not to use it on needles smaller than 11s, or hooks less than L. RHSS is much softer than it was 30 and 40 years ago and they've recently switched mills so you don't even have to wash it for it to feel soft. Caron SS is very nice, some people say it pills, but all softer yarns will; a lot complain about it splitting, but again, use a larger needle/hook to get a looser gauge and it doesn't. As far as knots, I don't come across many, some do, but ALL yarns have knots, even expensive ones. You don't have to rewind yarn to find them, just deal with the knots as you come to them - it's not true you have to join yarn at the edge of a piece, you can do it in the middle of a row.

Bernat Satin is similar to Caron SS in look and feel, Lion Cottonease is very nice to work with, as is Caron Country and Spa, though here again, they're very loosely spun and you need to work with a little looser gauge. I haven't used other brands except older acrylic I find at the thrift store. Even when it's 'scratchy', they soften up a lot with washing, repeated washing, and they last forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013 07:27:46 PM »

It's all one hundred percent up to personal preference and what your project is, and how you want it to work.  I will use acrylics for many projects, such as bags, dolls, blankets, etc.  I will use wool for projects that I will want fulled later on.  I will like more luxe products for projects like scarves or shawls - especially if it is a lace weight, and one skein may be all I need for the project, therefore $20 for a skein is not so bad - and it will depend on the recipient and what they like in terms of textures and colours.  What I will do is consider that the project is, what yarn is suggested with what needle for what recommended gauge, and then compare with other equitable yarns, their appearance, and the cost, and go from there.  What I love is when stores make a sample swatch too so you can see the patterning in variegated yarns, and the drape and texture of it.  Sometimes it's not enough just to pet the skein.  I used a mixed yarn once for a pair of lace opera mitts that was silk, rabbit fur, and something else.  It was lovely and soft, but when actually crocheting with it, it was a pain because it kept fluffing up and breaking several times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Rihanna Style
Why Women Hate Strapless Bras
Lawsuit Against Kitson Over Drug Related Apparel
Update Your Fall Wardrobe For Cheap
Zendaya Coleman Teams With NFL For Campaign
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...