A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: choosing a beading loom  (Read 520 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SuzanLivingstone
« on: September 14, 2013 12:13:41 PM »

Hi All

Am looking into getting a beading loom but could use some opinions on which ones are preferred/like and why (or why not).  I've seen them range in price from basic at $5 to 6, a semi basic similar one for about $10-12 and the Rick's Beading Loom for at least $50

Am interesting in mainly making bracelets and bookmarks, and similar items.  I like the idea of having only 2 warp threads to deal with at the end... can you use the selvage ending technique on the Rick's beading loom? But do the less expensive ones work just as well even though you have to deal with multiple left over threads.

Any input on beading looms is appreciated
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013 02:00:10 PM »

What is the selvage technique that Rick's loom recommends?  I don't think I have heard of that before.  Do you have a link?
You can weave the thread ends back into the pattern as a way of giving you a nice clean square block ending, just be careful to stick to one or two beads wide, so you don't clog the holes too much to finish off all of the ends. 

Another option, can be to back the beads with a thin strip of leather or fabric.  Then you just fold the tail under and glue the whole thing together.  It's an okay option, works well if you wish to attach the piece to a hair clip.  Maybe it would be all right for a bookmark too, as long as you are cautious and use something thin enough.

How wide do you think you want your bookmarks and bracelets?  If it isn't super-wide, you could always start off with one of the smaller inexpensive looms and make sure you enjoy it before jumping to a more expensive style.

I used a little cheepie one for years to make thinner bracelets and what not.  I prefer to do patterns with an odd number to give me a middle, so usually I made 11 wide or 13.  I have done a 25-ish wide on the small loom that turned out really well.   

If you want a larger specialty type loom, you also could make one yourself that is exactly your liking. 

Last Christmas my boyfriend made me a large one, since I have some crazy dream of attempting a huge piece on loom for some reason.  A tray bottom, something to go under glass for a coffee table...  something.  I haven't gotten to it yet, since I got sucked into a world of other projects.

Are you dead-set on looming as your beading technique? 
If not, you might really enjoy making the type of pieces you described with square stitch, or even peyote.  You don't need a loom, don't end up with tails to have to deal with at the end of the project, and the finished product is the same idea of bead fabric/bead strip with pattern in it. 

Peyote is kind of off set, so it might not be exactly what you want to do, but it is an option.  It looks more like a brick wall, so you would have to use a different pattern than the type you would for a loom.
http://beadwork.about.com/od/justevencountpeyote/ss/Peyote-Stitch-Diagrams-Flat-Even-Count.htm

Square stitch gives you a finished project that looks like it came straight off a loom.  You can use the same patterns for square stitch as a loom.:
http://beadwork.about.com/od/SquareStitch/ss/Square-Stitch-Beading-Diagram-Tutorial.htm

I've really gotten more into things that don't need a loom, since it makes the project easier to pack and take with you. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Short Hair Makeovers For Fall
How To Take Care of Hair Extensions
How to Do the Perfect Sleek Blowout at Home
The Risks of Using a Hair Relaxer
Va Va Voom! This 1960s Hair Embodies Grace And Glamour
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...