A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What sort of paint to use?  (Read 731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

largefarva
« on: September 13, 2013 12:47:02 PM »

So this is going to be my first actual painting project, except for like... watercolors in 4th grade... and it is imperative that I don't screw it up royally....

It's not really sanded, but I think that will be better for the paint to stick to anyway, and it's too late to go back and sand now- I did read a review for these that the paint bleeds a little bit-
I need a semi transparent white, so that the lines show through, with which I am going to cover the whole front (to keep the flowers brighter) and I want some of the wood color to show through to, since a stark white skull would look kind of silly, a black that will act the same way, and the rest of the colors don't have to be thin at all I don't think...
Any advice on types, brands, even shades of paint would be fantastically awesome- the pansies are going to be purple with the orange-yellow centers.
Help!!!! I have no idea how to paint!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013 04:49:40 PM »

Firstly, I am not a painter either, so I don't have a huge range of paints that I have tried.  But I lovelovelove the Martha Stewart acrylics.  They stick to anything for one thing...even my mom's plastic laundry tub when I failed to clean up a spot Grin.  The colors are more soft then regular craft paint, which sounds kind of like what your looking for.  It is thick but not too thick, so it doesn't run, but it is easy to get it just where you want it.  When it is dry, it can look like enamel if you get the gloss type.  But it comes in all kinds of finishes.  I've used it over unsanded woods, and it helps to hide the unsanded-ness, but if it is really ruff, you may need 2 coats.  As far as the all over white..if it were me, I would probably use a watered down higher end acrylic, but not the Martha one...though I'm not sure why ..it might work fine...I've just never tried to thin it out at all.  Maybe get some similar wood and and try out some watered down whites to see how they act?  In fact it might be a good idea to go to a thrift store and find a similar wooden bowl or some such and practice a bit before you try on the final piece.  And again, this is just what i would do, and I'm no pro, so try it at your own risk Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Mirandacc
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013 07:13:08 PM »

Since you want your wood and lines to show through, I would use a stain then cover with varnish.  If you use straight acrylics they are not really transparent enough.  I would use watercolors VERY sparingly because it will bleed into the wood.  The best thing (I think) to do would be to outline your skull in a masking fluid.  Then use a transparent medium (you can find this in the paint section) mixed with a teeny bit of acrylic.  Go heavy on the medium...You can always build up acrylics.  The other(more lengthy drying but fabulous) option I might try would be nail polish!  It comes in great colors-including high gloss transparent and is very affordable.  I would try it on your wood first just to see how it reacts (some nail polishes may seem to "bleed" an oily substance around the edge.
I cant wait to see what you've done
THIS ROCKS   Logged
largefarva
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013 02:58:25 PM »

Thanks guys- I'll update if I ever manage to get it done, hahaha- it looks like it might be a little bit before I can buy paint anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClaireMarquee

art from the ether

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014 08:50:03 AM »

not sure on the transparency issue but I've painted a few guitars and I just used acrylics, which seemed to work quite well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Framed Silhouettes for Someone Special
How to Make a Pinata
How to Make Oil Cruets
Learn About the Art of Embroidery
Introduction to Yarn Sizes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...