A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,204
Currently Running With Scissors:
356 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a number of identical figurines  (Read 657 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Elphelba
« on: September 13, 2013 08:22:04 AM »

Hello, I am working with a friend who has a start-up publishing company. I help make some of her different merchandising items. One of her authors is publishing a book that involves minotaurs. He has asked that we make a small minotaur figurine to go with the book. We would like something that would give a good result and that can be easily replicated. I was thinking of making a polymer clay original and then using a mold-making compound to make a mold from the polymer clay original. I would then cast the molds in something like plaster of paris or perhaps resin. We've also talked about using an epoxy clay but we are wanting to keep costs down. I am not particularly experienced with polymer clay and wanted to see if you guys think this plan is workable before I spend a great deal of time making the original. Making completely individual figurines from scratch is not a viable option due to time constraints and the costs associated with this.

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
IFX
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013 02:42:54 PM »

Hi! It is possible to make your figurine in polymer clay, or any clay for that matter, then cast your "original/master" in a silicone. From the silicone mold you can cast in a two part resin. Not very expensive. Once you have a master mold casting in the resin will become cheaper the more figirines you cast. Have a look on You Tube there are many videos for you to learn from. Hope this helps.
One more thing... If using platinum (addition cure) silicone you have to make sure the model, and whatever will touch the platinum, will not inhibit your cure. You may want to use tin (condensation cure) silicone. It is less fussy about what it is cured against. Tin molds will not last as long as platinum molds will but will cost less. Keep your first casting as your master model. Then as your mold wears out you can make another from yout master. a mould release will help your mold last longer, as well. You will need to contact a supplier to get all the facts and products that work well together.

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilysa
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013 07:33:11 AM »

You could easily do this with Amazing Mold Putty, they wholesale larger sizes too if you need more. AMP is a silicone mold making material and I have used it with success for years. However it does have a shelf life of 6 months so make sure to use it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moxie-CG

Punch Today In The Face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013 01:50:34 PM »

yes its fairly cheap and easy enough to do , i've recently done this myself to make a range of small animal figures. for my design i made lots of the base figures from the mould and then hand worked each one individually and uniquely so even though they came out of a mould each one is still unique......

tips i learn doing this are;

1) stir your silicon or rubber gently and if possible on a vibration table to limit/pop the bubbles that will spoil your design.also pour it gently.
2) be careful how you shape your design your figure beware of sticking out thin bits like ears and legs etc as i just kept snapping them off trying to get them out of the mould and it drove me crazy.
3) depending on what medium your using to cast you might want to make a few moulds as some mediums like resins can take 24-48 + hours to set and if you want to make 20 and only have one mould you'll be there forever
4 be patient one of my main problems was being to impatient to wait and taking things out of the moult before they had set
5 check check and check again you have you mix ratios  correct esp with resin otherwise  it can fail to set, EVER and remain sticky and a waste or be too brittle etc etc

there are probs more hickups i encountered along the way that would have been usefull to know before hand but this is all i can think off on the top of my head, hope its useful to you x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To live a truly creative life we must first lose our fear of being wrong

http://pinterest.com/MoxieStudioCG/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Tips for Curly Hair
Ethnic Hair Straightening Tips
Ethnic Hair Natural Styling Tips
Tips for a Formal Short Hairstyle
Frizz Smoothing for Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...