A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: And just who is Sarah Fear?  (Read 1325 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wise One
« on: September 12, 2013 01:51:10 PM »

I don't know.  No one seems to know.  

I joined a quilt group that makes quilts to raise money for a battered woman's shelter and a food bank.  The group is making a memorial quilt for all the quilt group members who've passed away over the years.  I took the block for Sarah Fear.  No one knows who Sarah Fear is.  We've done hours of research but alas all I know is that she was a wonderful woman who made quilts to raise money for the less fortunate ones.

Anyways, I've gotten a new book by the 'UnRuly Quilter' Tonya Ricucci.  It's called Word Play Quilts.  I think Smaarrt had a bunch of pins showing Tonya's wonky kooky way of quilting letters.  So this is my wonky kooky block for dear Sarah Fear.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013 08:45:54 PM by Wise One - Reason: to edit my clear as mud description to make sense » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes not so wise Smiley
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013 01:58:24 PM »

It looks great! I really like those letters. So do you mean you don't know who to send this to? Or it's going to the organization and nobody remembers who she is?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Smmarrt

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013 03:27:09 PM »

Thanks for the shout out, WO, but it's not me. I just checked my pins and I don't have her stuff. But I will be pinning like crazy now that I know her name.

And I LOVE this block - the letters and the colors/fabric choices are FANTASTIC!

Lovely work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Winter Ninni Swap - Sign ups 12/01 - 12/15
4 x 6 Art Swap - January 2015
Fabric Art Journal Pages - February 2015
Wise One
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013 03:29:09 PM »

Oh yeah.  I guess that was as clear as mud.  We're living in the midst of some major flooding and I'm crafting to keep insanity at bay as long as the power holds out.

Sarah Fear was a member of the quilt organization.  She died and therefore will have a block in the memorial quilt.  We know who most of the former members were.  For example, one former member made crazy quilts that raised crazy amounts of money and so the woman who is making her memorial block is making it in the crazy quilt style.  As for Sarah Fear, no one (including myself) can track down anything on her.  Is that still as clear as mud?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wise One
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013 03:34:52 PM »

Thanks for the shout out, WO, but it's not me. I just checked my pins and I don't have her stuff. But I will be pinning like crazy now that I know her name.

Smmarrt - That's too funny!  I could've sworn it was you as you like those bright wonky kooky quilts like me Tongue  This lady Tonya took classes or something from Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston.  Tonya is on pinterest!!!  I can't find a blog; she's probably too busy making fun quilts.  If you find that she offers classes or retreats, lets go!  FUN FUN FUN
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013 03:37:30 PM »

That makes a lot more sense. I was thinking you meant Sarah Fear was someone who died from the women's shelter. I thought that was odd. Now I see! That's really cool. Will you be able to post a pic of the completed memorial quilt? The block is rad, btw. The letters are great! paper pieced?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013 03:46:20 PM »

Oh yes, that's clearer! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Wise One
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013 04:53:38 PM »

The letters are great! paper pieced?

They're sort of paper pieced but not really.  The author of the book shows you how to eyeball the letters by looking at a 'pattern' of numbered shapes.  I'm guessing that most experienced quilters (which I'm not!) could wing it just by looking at some of the quilts made in this style.  Alas, I had to buy the book  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artista83
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013 07:24:56 AM »

that is sad that no one knows anything about her so far. it is very sweet and awsome that you made a quilt block with her name on it. it has to be driving you crazy wondering about her! if they gave you an old address you might be able to find out a little about her like family or whatnot.

there is a lady that makes me think of this story. she has to be pretty up there in age now, but this makes me want to try and make something for her and deliver it. she lived next door to me when i was growing up. i remember she had a ton of cats and didn't come out of her house much, but when i was a kid i used to be sitting on the curb hungry, and this woman used to pick me up and feed me and take me places to eat and get me toys and such. she didn't have any family that ever came to visit or husband or anything. i remember she had a lot of stuff in her house, she would get things for family that i never saw come over, but she got the things and saved them none the less. her name is phyllis. i remember she had a white cat named peewee that was her favorite out of all the cats. she used to joke that he was like her husband (peewee).

now i am inspired to do something for her. i visited a couple times in my adulthood and she still lived there. i wonder now if she is still there as it has been some years. i am wondering if i could pull off making her a peewee stuffie. trying real hard to remember what the cat looked like, i just remember it was white, i think with blue eyes. i want to learn how to make a quilt some day when i figure out how to use my machine, but for now my machine is wonky. the thread keeps getting stuck!

gotgrey you really are such a caring person! i love the thing that you do with stuffed animals. can you send me a link about that organization that does the stuffy thing? is it still up and running? one thing also that i think of especially for the sort of thing the stuffie org does, is maybe making a bunch  of stuffies to leave with the fire department. when i was about 22 we had a major house fire. my daughter was very young, and the fire was pretty scary and ruined the whole house. the fire department gave my daughter a stuffed bear to help her feel better. it was really a good thought as at the time all of her toys had been ruined in the fire. childrens hospitals would be a good place too. although i love the random drop off thing that you do also. let me know where i can find more information about that one.

quilt wise, i wish i could make one bc that would be an awsome thing to drop off at a homeless shelter lil quilts and blankets and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loves poppets and anything zombie! Will personal swap !
Taramor
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013 12:38:52 PM »

I remember seeing some of Tonyas work - and a tutorial, if I remember right - on Bonnie Hunters Quiltville.com. But I wasn't able to find it again when I went looking.

I like your block - the green spotted fabric is perfect to the whimsical letters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Handmade Paper Envelope
How to Knit the Stockinette Stitch
How to Make a Handmade Paper Picture Frame
How to Tie a Slip Knot for Knitting
How to Make a Molded Candle
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...