A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,160
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best way to cut those foam sheets?  (Read 429 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teddybr218
« on: October 22, 2013 07:08:51 PM »

First let me say that I do not like them, foam sheets that is, however they are cheap and used often in crafts for young kids.  That being said I was volunteering at a non-profit helping with crafts one evening, making Christmas ornaments and found that they had the volunteers cutting these things out by hand.  What a pain and royal waste of time, I had wasting time when it could be going to doing something worthwhile.

What needs to happen is that the things need to be cut into 4-5 inch shapes, like an ornament, Christmas tree, gingerbread man.....you get the picture.  If anyone has any suggestions and/or opinions on which machine to purchase, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,
Cheryl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013 12:57:57 AM »

Being a not for profit, what about checking to see if anyone is selling (or giving away, if you are lucky) a used die cutting/embossing machine on freecycle or craigslist?  Or you can get one with the coupon @ the big name craft stores.  You'll need some dies, but if you are in the US, the Sizzix site has many older ones often marked down in price, and to cut something thicker like craft foam, you will probably need steel rule dies like the Bigz, by Sizzix, as opposed to thinner dies like Spellbinders.  Often the dies can be used with different machines, and you can find instructions for how to do it on-line. 

I have both a Cricut Cuttlebug, and a Sizzix BigShot, and love them both for die cutting and embossing different materials, like paper,  felt,  leather, fabric, thin metals, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
teddybr218
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013 06:44:14 PM »

Thanks for the information, I know that money was a part of it, but that is not really a concern for me as I was just going to buy them one.  I just had no idea what I should be looking for.  But after reading your post, I have a better idea and can at least start looking around.  Ultimately it would be best if they could use the dies in different machines I guess, as this would get more use out of them.  But really thanks for the information, now I do not feel so uneducated about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Helicopter
How to Make a Lanyard
How to Make a Handmade Paper Greeting Card
How to Make a Grave Rubbing
How to Make a Denim Rug
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...