A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,705
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: three generation afghan  (Read 6566 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2013 07:42:08 PM »

When my Mom and her siblings went to their parents' house to sort through things after they died, she ended up with a lot of Grandma's crochet stuff, including a crocheted flower square.  She figured it must have been the beginning of an afghan.  She decided to finish it with Grandma's yarns and give it to one of us who hadn't gotten one from her while she was alive.  Me!!!  I told her to just use a mix of whatever colors she had.  Well, Mom made about 35 flowers or so, and got halfway through adding the leaves.  Then her arm got really sore and she was having a hard time crocheting.  I told her I could work on it some until she felt better.  Well, she didn't and it was just an early symptom of her cancer spreading to all kinds of places that it shouldn't be.  So two years after Mom died, I've finally got back to working on the afghan.  And finishing it!  Yea!

I had to make a few more flowers to get it six by seven blocks, which ends up about queen sized.  I put Grandma's square in the center of an X of purple flowers so I could always figure out which one was hers.  I didn't really need to since I didn't bother to get a good match on the white yarn.  But there you go.

The ironic thing is, as I was attaching the last square next to Grandma's square, I discovered that her square had a mistake in it.  Each side should have 16 joining stitches.  That last square had 17!  To fix it properly would mean ripping back to the first round of white.  And I wasn't going to do that!  So I just fudged it in there.  But now I wonder: was that single square still sitting around at Grandma's because it was a mistake and she just throw it aside?  Have I now immortalized her mistake with a proud place of honor?  Maybe.  But I made the afghan to honor my Grandma and my Mom and all their work for others.  And I love it.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013 07:44:40 PM by dulcet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013 07:48:55 PM »

What a touching story.  Something like that is truly a treasure.  And I like how your story about the mistake points out that crafting is about the heart, not perfection.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013 10:52:49 PM »

Such a sweet way to remember the crafty godesses in your life, and what a pretty afghan  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013 11:47:30 PM »

Beautiful blanket and a lovely story with it.  Such a lot of work too.  I really love how it turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013 12:20:19 AM »

That's a true family heirloom, and it's beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013 12:36:58 AM »

That is beautiful, and what a fantastic memory to your Grandma and Mom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013 01:44:33 AM »

A beautiful tribute to your Mom and Grandma  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013 04:01:57 AM »

What an interesting story, and I'm glad you got to finish the blanket!  The Amish people always purposely make a mistake in their quilts to show that humans are not perfect...was your Grandma Amish, perhaps?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013 05:01:08 AM »

Beautiful family heirloom with many generations making it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013 07:28:33 AM »

Thanks everyone!

LadybugsandBumblebe es -- No, she wasn't Amish.  But I love the sentiment.

Let me ask you other crocheters a question.  Does anybody else ever have the problem of a squeaking noise when their yarn moves up and down the hook?  (Probably a lot of blank stares at that.)  I think it might be because I use acrylic yarn (I saw you shudder) on an aluminum hook, but I'm trying to use up my stash.  Anybody know why it happens, or better yet, how to fix it?  It's almost like fingernails on a chalkboard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Wise One
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013 07:30:22 AM »

What a treasure!  And a treat to read. 

There's a culture out there (Amish?) that actually add in a mistake to their quilts because they believe that only God is perfect.  Something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes not so wise Smiley
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013 09:11:22 AM »

have you tried rubbing your hook with wax paper to help it glide better? I sometimes get squeaks when I'm crocheting too tightly and need to go up a hook size  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
alaura_borealis
Lurker...

Kicking a** and taking names!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013 09:30:05 PM »

ALL MY FEELS!  Cry What a great legacy to your mother and grandmother!

And yes, my hooks squeak from time to time. I usually rub a little wax on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taking over the world, one (dc [yo twice, dc in same dc] repeat 4 times, yo, pull though all) at a time! ^_^
Taramor
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013 12:14:38 AM »

What a lovely afghan. And a wonderful story about generations of crafters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moxie-CG

Punch Today In The Face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013 01:10:49 AM »

the blanket is soooo gorgeous in its own right but the story just makes it such a precious treasure. a lovely heirloom to pass down through future generations, whom could perhaps add their own piece to the puzzle
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To live a truly creative life we must first lose our fear of being wrong

http://pinterest.com/MoxieStudioCG/
winstongang

I like to move it move it!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013 04:18:19 PM »

what a fabulous, beautiful piece of family history! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
http://fabulouslycrafty.blogspot.com/

~Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life~
Woodlyn
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013 10:18:11 PM »

This rocks so much. What a heartbreakingly beautiful story behind this afghan. The pattern itself is very pretty. Did you learn to crochet from your mother and she from hers?

And don't worry, you're not alone in the yarn squeaking, lol. I've never tried to remedy it, but alaura_borealis's idea of using wax sounds like a good try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013 12:48:42 AM »

Kudos for finishing it! It looks fantastic and I think it's a beautiful nostalgic piece. Both your mom and grandmother would be super proud!

*When my hook starts squeaking I wash my hands and hook with some soap and water and that normally helps for a little while*
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013 12:52:21 AM by katara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013 07:18:54 AM »

Thanks for all the compliments, and the advice about squeaky hooks.  I'm kinda' glad it isn't just me. Smiley

Woodlyn -- I'm sure my Mom learned from her Mom.  But I've always been a little too independent.  I wouldn't have listened while I was a teenager.  (Unfortunately, one of my daughters is taking after me.)  I actually taught myself as an adult, out of a book I inherited from my husband's Grandmother.  Come to think of it, all four grandmas (mine and his) were big crocheters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Robert Frost
mrskristina
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013 03:07:37 PM »

This is just amazing. The store is so lovely and the blanket in and of itself is just beautiful. I'm sure that this is one of those heirloom pieces that will stay in the family for generations.

I'm so glad someone asked about that squeaking too! It is awful. I get that every now and again. I always thought it was because my loops were too tight, but I'm going to have to try the soap and water suggestion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaylefrancis
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013 03:48:05 PM »

Thanks everyone!

LadybugsandBumblebe es -- No, she wasn't Amish.  But I love the sentiment.

Let me ask you other crocheters a question.  Does anybody else ever have the problem of a squeaking noise when their yarn moves up and down the hook?  (Probably a lot of blank stares at that.)  I think it might be because I use acrylic yarn (I saw you shudder) on an aluminum hook, but I'm trying to use up my stash.  Anybody know why it happens, or better yet, how to fix it?  It's almost like fingernails on a chalkboard.

First, this is a really lovely blanket attached to some just beautiful family history. I learned to crochet from my grandmother, and I hope I can honor her the same way you and your mom did when she does pass. I love that the square was a off a stitch, and you found, in your grandma's possible mistake, a lot of love and a chance to have this fantastic memory.

On the question: Some acrylics can squeak on aluminum hooks. I've found stitching to a plastic or wooden hook takes care of the squeak, but other than that, I don't know. I am rather fond of acrylic because it lasts through just about everything and is easy to care for, so I work with it a lot for hats and stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013 05:54:02 PM »

It's gorgeous and the story is simply wonderful.

ETA: The acrylic yarn and squeaking. Yarn nearly ALWAYS talks to me on my hook or needles, unless I create a huge open pattern.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013 05:57:37 PM by PixieSkull » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013 01:30:40 PM »

I'm in love! Swoon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013 05:46:15 PM »

Such a beautiful blanket And such a moving story behind it. Amazing, and thought-provoking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calentine
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013 06:59:53 PM »

Oh God....Your post got me all soggy eyed and wishing I wasn't so far from my mom and grandmas so I could squeeze them to bits. 

My sadsack emotions aside, I absolutely love your afghan!  It's beautiful and so charming.  I always like a project with history!  I would hit This Rocks 100 times if I were able!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013 10:02:09 AM »

Gorgeous afghan and a lovely story. How special that all three of you got to work on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
MabelPatricia
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013 02:59:36 PM »

I love this. Is it possible to get the pattern?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IzzyBee
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013 02:50:46 AM »

What a beautiful blanket, and a lovely way to remember your Grandma and Mom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013 09:14:16 AM »

Thanks so much everybody!  And I'm surprised that the squeaking is so common.

MabelPatricia -- I'll see what I can do about a pattern, but no promises.  I did look around at ravelry, but none of the ones I found are exactly like my grandma's. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Robert Frost
karindanielle
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013 12:29:04 PM »

What a precious heirloom this is. One to treasure forever. Its really beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013 08:13:59 PM »

Every piece of jewelry my grandpa made for us had a mistake in it. A pearl was chipped, a ruby didn't match, something like that. It annoyed me to look at but my mom loved it. It reminded her that is was handmade. This is a beautiful blanket with a beautiful story!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013 08:22:30 PM »

Simply beautiful.

Maybe your Grandma did set it aside because she thought it wasn't perfect. It just goes to show how we see our own mistakes but find beauty in the work of others no matter what.  You are fortunate to have and to have added to such a wonderful legacy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013 02:54:30 AM »

This is a truly beautiful and amazing piece of work. But the best part is that it was made by three generations of crafters.

As far as acrylic yarn goes, if that's all you have easy access to, use it! I found this helpful tip for making it softer. I haven't tried it myself but I was told it does indeed work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013 06:43:20 AM »

Congratulations! This has been chosen as a Featured Project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013 08:38:55 AM »

Such a beautiful blanket with a beautiful story.  That's really funny about the mistake...  So glad you were able to finish such a wonderful memory project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2013 01:09:48 PM »

Here's the pattern.  (My SIL figured it out for my Mom from the original block.)

Starting with the color for the flower ch6 and close the ring.
round 1: ch5 (counts as 1dc and ch2), *dc in ring, ch2*, repeat between stars until 8dc and 8 spaces, slip st in third chain.
round 2: (sc, 3dc, sc) in each ch2 space around (8 petals)
round 3: *sc around next dc (on round 1), ch3*, repeat around
round 4: (sc, 5dc, sc) in each ch3 space around (8 petals)
round 5: *sc around next sc (on round 3), ch5*, repeat around
round 6: (sc, 7dc, sc) in each ch5 space around, join with slip st, cut and finish end (8 petals).

With green for leaves, *sc between any petals, ch5, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next space between petals, ch5*, repeat around, join with slip st, cut and finish end (8 ch5 spaces and 4 sets of 2 leaves).  What you have now should look more like a square.

With background color (white in mine):
round 1: join in ch2 space between leaves, ch3 (counts as dc), dc in same corner, 5dc in each of next 2 ch5 spaces, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next corner ch2 space, repeat pattern around, finish with 2dc in first corner, join with hdc to third chain of beg ch3.
round 2: ch3 (counts as dc), turn work, 1dc in same corner space, dc in each dc to next corner, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in corner, repeat pattern around, finish with 2dc in first corner, join with hdc to third chain of beg ch3.
Repeat round 2 to desired size.  (My blocks have 5 rounds total of the background and are about 12" across.)  Cut and finish end.  Join blocks as desired.

Enjoy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Robert Frost
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013 03:31:20 AM »

That is such a touching story, and such a beautiful afghan <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
MabelPatricia
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013 03:18:30 PM »

Thank you so much. This was very nice of you to give me the pattern. I can hardly wait to start it. I have a tablecloth that my mom started and I was able to add on to it. I have since given it to my daughter to add on to it if she wishes. It is so important to hand these lovely hand made items down to other generations. Again, thank you so much and happy crocheting. Blessings to you and yours. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013 09:01:07 AM »

What a wondrous afghan & heirloom piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anderlance
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013 06:42:32 AM »

How wonderful!  A beautiful afghan with beautiful memories.  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paypahchasa
Get Your Craft On!

Get Your Craft On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013 02:01:53 PM »

there's such beautiful history behind this afghan <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GumInMyHair
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2013 06:25:44 AM »

This afghan is so special. I like how you put grandma's square in a place of honor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewingal13
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013 08:23:27 AM »

This is a touching story, and a beautiful finished product.  You have something really special there because it is a legacy of three generations.  How very special.  I like it so much that I may enlarge the pic and copy the stitches.  Thank you for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013 06:05:39 AM »

dulcet--your afghan turned out beautiful...it was the picture that drew me to the post...but reading your story...how three generations worked on it and each passing generation remembers the prior one...wow...lovely and touching story...

While my mom, who is also a crocheter, is still alive but unwell,  I am going to learn a few more things and finish off some of her projects as she supervises...this story will keep me going...thank you for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BigBangMomma

Addicted to Amigurimi, and afghans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013 08:49:58 AM »

What a wonderfully beautiful heirloom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm taking a break from swapping through the summer.  If you'd like to follow my craft journey until my return, please visit any or all of the sites below. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/EmalieAlexander
https://www.facebook.com/EmalieAlexander
Twitter: @EmalieAlexander
xyphir
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2014 08:42:52 PM »

That is such a special afghan and when you pass it to your daughters they can also share the story.
My hook squeeks, too - but I don't mind the noise.
I was sitting doing my tails one day and the budgie started making weird squeaking noises. I couldn't figure out what he was doing. Then when I started crocheting again, I noticed that the budgie was squeeking again. I couldn't figure out where he'd learned such a high pitched strange squeek which he only did when I sat on the couch. Finally I figured it out that he was "crocheting" with me as I crocheted. So cute. So I am very lucky to have a budgie that thinks he can crochet lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2014 09:32:34 AM »

Congratulations!  You are one to the featured projects that ROCKed for 2013.. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmmyPrewitt
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014 09:25:24 PM »

What a touching story.  The afghan is absolutely gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crazy Wisdom: The Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics
Mafia Inc. Authors on the Donnie Brasco-Rizzuto Connection
John Marzluff Shows How Crows Recognize Human Faces
Isaac Mizrahi Interviews Susan Fales-Hill on Imperfect Bliss
Sally Jenkinson Performs Her Poem "Lullaby"
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...