A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to crafting  (Read 421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JJwattles
« on: December 29, 2013 10:26:03 AM »

When my daughter was in the NICU I learned to crochet. I still would say I am great at it but I get by. It is hard to find the time to get good at it with the Little One. I started running a non profit chapter in April 2013. I am so excited that our sewing group will start January 9th. Preemie Prints has certain projects I need to stick with. What do I need for the group? Some will bring sewing machines some won't. So I know I need needels thread scissors. I have a bunch of fleece. Any ideas on where I can get fabric donated or discounted? Any insight will help. Thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnicodemus
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014 11:33:32 AM »

You can get sometimes get fabric at resale shops - we have one called PTO Thrift Shop that has a whole section just for crafting supplies.  You could also check craigslist - or even post your own ad - and see what turns up.  As for other supplies, depending on what you're making, you may want rotary cutters and mats, plus you'll want some type of storage bins/drawers, etc for all your supplies.  Maybe even an iron and ironing board.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014 08:51:04 AM »

Perhaps you could put a request in at freecycle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
stillatthetop
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014 09:30:01 AM »

Wow. This sounds a great project for you. Do you own a machine? There are plenty of craftsters here who can help you know things. Myself included. Feel free to PM me. I have been sewing 40+ years.

My guess is that you are making blankets for babies, like my son got at his hospital. He was a preemie. Came home Christmas Eve...my best present ever!!!!

What a wonderful gift to give to new parents who are overwhelmed with all the hospital nonsense.

My church has a free clothing pantry. I donate to them regularly, but also collect new items. Not always to wear. Just because I like the fabrics. Freecycle was a grand idea, too. Many times the elderly can no longer see to sew, and the family wishes to power down the stash.

I'm not sure what area you live in, but see if there is a sewing guild there. Often their members will team up with you to help.

Supplies? That will depend on what you are actually making. Your first post was not entirely clear for that. But I will put a notify on this thread, and check back on it. Glad to help with suggestions anyway I can.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Antique Your Own Paper
How to Applique Quilts
How to Bind a Book
How to Carve a Cylon Pumpkin
How to Carve Shrunken Head Apples
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...