A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for a nice veil.  (Read 3240 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahk
« on: July 08, 2005 09:27:14 PM »

A friend of mine is  getting married soon and is making a veil for herself. Does any one have an idea of a nice  veil she can make for herself in a small amount of time?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessliak
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005 05:01:58 AM »

I made mine and it was so quick...I just bought enough fabric that I liked to make a veil (mine was LONG), hemmed it all around and then sewed ribbon along the edge.  I attached it all to a hair comb thing (big in the 80s...) with hot glue / sewing and added some tiny flowers.  It didn't take more than a few episodes of sex in the city!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss. blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
mazzy
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005 10:58:03 AM »

I made a wedding veil for a costume one time.  I wanted it to be very long and flowy so I used about 4 yards of very fine tulle.  I used a serger to roll the edges and round off the corners.  I also wanted it to have some sparkle to it.  I found some really small Swarovski crystal beads (2mm I think)  and attached them using tiny specks of super glue (put the glue on the bead ,not the tulle.  and use tweezers or you'll end up with crusty, sparkly fingers).  I started applying the beads very sparsely to make sure that I didn't weigh the tulle down too much.  After I got the beads the way I wanted them I found the middle of the fabric and then measured 6 inches down the length so when the veil was folded in half it would have a tier.  I hand stitched a four inch piece of white satin cord on the spot I marked leaving some slack to create three loops.  Then I attached it to my hair using 6 jewelled bobby pins.  It took a little over an hour to make and my total cost was around $15.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

molkearns
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005 06:22:31 AM »

Did you sew the ribbon on by hand? I am trying to stitch 1/8" wide satin ribbon to the tulle on my machine and I can't get it to lie flat. Any tips?

hemmed it all around and then sewed ribbon along the edge. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redheadgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005 10:21:56 AM »

Did my first veil out of "Veiled in Beauty", a book with tons o' instructions for various edge finishes, ways to cut for different effects and such.  Lots of the basics.  There's some big 4 sewing patterns for veils too, if you want to pick them up at a sale for the idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's a fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
molkearns
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005 09:45:24 AM »

Thanks! I'll look for that book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lvb56003
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006 12:31:40 PM »

I have this wonderful project going for an idea for a beautiful veil.  I would like some opinions from anyone who has been or will be married soon.  A picture of what I am making is at this location.  It is a tatted veil which I estimate will take me at least a year to do.  Would you wear it?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lvb56003/detail?.dir=mail&.dnm=6770re2.jpg&.src=ph

THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessliak
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006 09:01:22 AM »

I just tacked it along the edge - just a running stitch through the middle of the ribbon, you couldn't tell at all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss. blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006 11:13:54 AM »

I have this wonderful project going for an idea for a beautiful veil.  I would like some opinions from anyone who has been or will be married soon.  A picture of what I am making is at this location.  It is a tatted veil which I estimate will take me at least a year to do.  Would you wear it?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lvb56003/detail?.dir=mail&.dnm=6770re2.jpg&.src=ph

I couldn't see the picture, but I bet it's gorgeous! Would it be for yourself or someone else? If it's for someone else, I just recommend having several candid conversations with them first about it...most people have very specific ideas about what they want to wear on their wedding day, and when someone gives you something that doesn't fit with that, it's awkward. So ask first if it's something they'd want.

If it's for you, yes, absolutely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
lvb56003
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006 04:20:59 PM »

Is anyone else having problems seeing the picture?

Leeanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Of Oily Skin And Summer Hair Trends
How To Break Up With Someone - Sexy Times With Gurl
Healthy Anti-Aging Skin Remedies
How to Get Great Legs Instantly
Sneak Peek: Birchbox June 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...