A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Partners Have Feelings  (Read 3201 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013 10:48:18 AM »

Purchased items as extras are fine! We just don't want someone purchasing something and tying a ribbon on it and trying to count that as their main crafted item.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Tenitsu
Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013 12:28:06 PM »

You know, I'm still rather new here myself, and currently in my 2nd only swap ever (aside ofc from one personal swap), but I can understand wanting a little gratitude for one's hardwork, but you cant expect something that you wont give yourself... I had a wonderful swap, with two wonderful ladies, one made several pairs of fingerless crocheted gloves for not only me, but my darling toddler too, and to this day my daughter still brings me her little pink gloves and begs for me to put them on so she can trot around in nothing but her diaper and her lil gloves. I couldnt express my happiness enough over those lil pink gloves =)

I've got a partner now, making two cute stuffed animals, one for my daughter, and one for my blind cousin who barely has any toys safe for him to play with. For the thoughtfulness and the extra hard work she's putting into making an extra for my little cousin, I feel the need to match that and put extra hard work into the items I'm making for her....but not everyone thinks like I do, I'm weird I know!

The thing I like best about craftster is its a great place to meet people on a normal day, you might never think to strick up a conversation with. And while you may not always meet someone who shares your common interests, you do get to meet someone new, and make friends with people you might never have considered before. As a girl who grew up locked in a house and homeschooled, I love this place, everyone I've met thus far is very nice and even the constructive critisim is kind...

Ive made a ton of things that have gone awry (thanks to a cute lil girl who wants to help mommy sew xD), and some, rather than scrap and remake, those lil flubs add character. I dont care if someone likes it or not, ofc it means that much more to be if they do like it, but if they are glad I took the time to make what I did for them, then thats enough for me =) its fun to try and make new things, and share them with others (and I'm sure other mommy's will agree, its a great lesson for the little ones)

I'm likely rambling at this point.... but honestly, treat others how you would like to be treated, could really come into play here...if you want gratitude, show gratitude....if you want something someone put effort into, put effort into things you, yourself create.... and be thankful for what you have and not envious of what you dont.... =)

And the baby said "and we all want a tubtub" (her 2 cents ha ha ha)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013 02:07:09 PM »

Tenitsu-thanks! Grin

I've been reading these posts, and as always, have an opinion!

I think there might be two big issues that stop people from showing their appreciation for swap items:

1)  Sometime during the swap process something happens in their life that (seemingly) prevents them from taking the time out to show their appreciation....(Sickness of the person swapping would be an exception, but people not saying thank you happens too much for THAT MANY people to use sickness as an excuse.)

2)  The person does not feel matched well with their partner and just wants to get the swap done and over with.

I have an issue with both of the above.  When my FIL passed, my DH and I were in charge of the funeral and making all the arrangements (he was divorced).  I was in the middle of a swap and was still able to finish crafting and send on time.  As far as number two above, I have been mismatched with many partners for several months now.  But you try your best and use your manners-THEN move on.

And as I'm typing this I'm thinking....even if you can't take literally a moment to show your appreciation for the package you received...doing so at a later time is better than not doing it at all.

Tenitsu, your DD might be right...maybe these people need a "tubtub". Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013 02:10:34 PM by LadybugsAndBumblebees » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dfabbric

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013 07:45:04 PM »

I think some of this is a bit silly. Really I enjoy crafting for different people because that is how I learn about new things, try new things and expand my horizons. I thought that was what Swaps are about. Also I love giving and know that if what I get isn't perfect or to my liking, it doesn't matter because I had fun making my stuff. I do swaps to give and not receive and I think if you go into a swap only to receive, you or your partner or both are going to be disappointed. Also some things you get are just so awesome they make up for any swaps that you may not have been happy with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenitsu
Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013 08:01:43 PM »

Honestly I think I'm in like my 3rd or 4th ever swap (hell I lost count already ha ha!) and perfection doesnt matter to me unless ofc its something I am personally working on....my perfectionist attitude can make it difficult to be satisfied with anything I complete >.>

But its the little imperfections that make a handmade item so awesome, it shows how much hard effort someone truly put into making it (even more so if its a craft one isnt used to doing or had just started) I'm one of those people who can put a ton of stuff on the "list to make" and never once make it for myself....but if the opportunity comes to make it for someone else XD suddenly it gets made ha ha ha!! (i'm sure a good many of us have been there!)

Even if a person doesnt like the item, as long as they appreciate the effort that went in to trying to make it for them, that enough puts me in my happy place for days! (as long as the car doesnt break down suddenly lol!!) But as we know, not everything goes the way we plan, or how we would like....that's why we shape up and ship out onto the next thing =) I love this swapping thing tbh, I brighten someone else's day, and my day is brightened too, whether its a gift in return (ie the swap >----<) or just the fact that someone loves what I made, I find it worth it and look forward to each opporunity I get to get into trouble (as my husband calls it haha)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
Ratfinkz

Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013 06:07:25 PM »

My two penneth worth is that everyone should consider their partners feelings, whether they are sending or receiving.

I am not great at many crafts, and often wonder if I should stop participating as I don't always match the quality of people sending to me. However I know that every single thing I make has not only taken me a long time (I often do and redo things) but is sent with love and to the very best of my ability. I figure that if people want perfection they should go find something at the mall (or as us English say, on the high street). Because I know I am not great at things, I tend to spoil my partner to make up for the fact it is not great. (I do however only send things that are fit for purpose, and even if they don't look amazing they are useable.) I'd love to say I would not consider sending anything that is not finished, but actually in my last swap I did! (I sent a stuffed toy for my partners guinea pigs not knowing what eyes they would be allowed, so I sent a kit in a plastic pot with safety eyes, buttons, black thread and even a needle, so she could use what she was happy with. I also sent a tote with a picture transferred onto it. I had done about 3 steps already and put it in the airing cupboard to dry overnight. When I was doing last minute touches to things before I sent, I realised that to finish it off it needed another layer of paste and then to be left overnight. As all you had to do was put a layer of paste on the picture I sent my partner a well wrapped bag and the paste and instructions, and was hoping there was enough paste there for her to do a picture on something else! So it was kind of an added bonus!). However with all that said I also don't mind if crafts I receive are not perfect/great as long as it is evident that the person has done their best.

I also really HATE seeing a post saying "I received here are the pictures"without even a thank you. I don't care how busy you are, if you have time to do the swap and then post photos you can find ten seconds to type "thank you I really appreciate it" or such like. You don't have to gush, but manners are free!

To sum up, yes we need to take our partners feelings into account, but it works both ways.

As an aside, talking about not buying and decorating things-does this always apply? ie in the swap I mentioned up there I bought a wooden box from a craft shop. I painted it green, added stickers saying "treats" then painted over them so it made the letters 3D and made and painted a guinea pig. I then supeeglued it to the painted lid and varnished it all. Does that count as crafted or should I have sent it as an extra?

Also I have a plan to buy something for another swap, but to cover it in fabric with possibly a cross stitch. What would that count as?

The trouble with swaps are there is so much grey between the black and white!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

Jack of most crafts master of none.

My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013 06:18:07 PM »

Both of those things would be considered crafted! Now, if you purchased a wooden box and sent it "as is", that would not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Ratfinkz

Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013 06:23:40 PM »

Thanks Tacky, that's as I thought but still good to have it confirmed. I was trying to figure out if "tie a ribbon on it" meant altering it or dressing it up to look like a gift! Hey it's 2:20am here and I am not well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

Jack of most crafts master of none.

My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Dressed of the MTV VMAs
United States in Style: Portland
Fashion Fixes With Kelly Lee
Three Takes on the Printed Pants Trend
Olivia Wilde Shows Us How to Rock a T-Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...