A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New here, with questions of course  (Read 976 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Becky65301
« on: March 28, 2004 01:51:38 PM »

I'm coming out of lurkdom...

My question is more philosophical.  I am looking seriously at the crafts-for-money thing now.  Mostly cause we need the money.  My problem is that I am mostly a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to crafts, I have tried almost everything at least once, and I like it all.  So I can't really decide what I want to focus on.  Or if I should even focus at this point.  Historically, I have been a seamstress, and have done that whole alterations thing professionally, I'm kinda burned out on that.  And you know how it works, when it starts being your *job* it isn't nearly so much fun.  But I can do almost all of the needle-arts, and have played alot with clay and beading.  

When you all decided to go into business, was it more of a carefully attacked plan, or a fluke of nature?  How did you decide what your "thing" was, or was it just obvious from the start?  

Right now, all I know is we need some cash coming in, and I don't know which thing to pick... and looking thru this site only gives me more inspiration  Shocked ... I guess I need a kick in the pants??  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chikki sixx
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004 03:19:11 PM »

I'm totally in the same position.  I want to do it all but that doesn't seem too practical.  Lately I've been so overwelmed by all the crafts I want to do that I cant manage to do anything.  I too, need a kick in the pants.  How do you decide on what to market?  Mabey base it on what you enjoy most, availability/cost of supplies, how much profit you could make, origionality of product, and demand.?  Any advise from buisiness owners would be appriciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amanelle
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004 10:35:17 AM »

I think it depends on what you want to do and where you want to sell. I opened my site earlier this month. Right now I'm learning silversmithing so I really want to concentrate on that, but six months from now I may be bored to death with. I chose to have consigners so I could move my crafty talents around. I sick to death of sewing so I want someone else to make handbags. I'd like to have hand made paper journals, but I don't know how to make them. I can advertise my site as having lots of different products this way. Later on if I'm tired of making jewelry I can make candles or soap or whatever and not have to worry about changing the business or the advertising. If I had to stick with one thing for the rest of my life I'd go crazy, but there are some people who like doing the same thing. I say just start doing something and if you get bored move to something else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing stars
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004 01:05:15 PM »

I also like doing lots of things.

I found however that there were two things I was better at than anything else I did. Sewing creatures and doing my little drawings.

I decided to make my drawings more useful by making them into magnets. I keep myself interested in stuffed creatures by contantly challenging myself and trying to come up with new designs, in addition to my original lines of creatures. If my newest creations are either too hard to make over and over, or not selling as well as I would like them to, then I move on and come up with other things.

They key is to keep it interesting for yourself, and if there are 3 or 4 different things you like to do, then do them all. Look at sites like www.bunnigoods.com/shop.html, or www.mypapercrane.co m/BUY.html. They do different things, and sell all of them!

-teresa

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
Becky65301
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004 05:23:12 PM »

Okay, I needed to be kicked.

That does make me feel better, I thought really I was going to have to narrow my focus, and crank out stuff til I was sick of looking at it.

magreeta- I live in the middle of nowhere, craft supplies coming from Wally World (or online! Grin), it is virtually void of creativity.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  Well, I guess it can be a good thing, having to rely on Wally World for supplies forces you to get really really creative...

(trying to see if I can kick myself in the butt)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simplysmashing
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004 05:31:22 AM »

I'm just starting out too, and have the same concerns, I can't just settle on one craft.  I have the same worries, that I've got too much going on....but I look at it this way....when you go into a little boutique type store, and you love it....isn't it usually the type of place that whenever you turn around you find something else that interests you?  That's how I want my craft show booth/website to look....I'm going to market myself as someone selling "accessories for you and your home"...that covers just about any craft I do now, or am likely to get involved in in the future.  I think we have to just try stuff out....it's hit and miss....

Sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
disjectamembra
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004 01:30:41 PM »

Lack of focus unfortunately seems to be a big problem of mine too.  Glad to know that I am not the only one who suffers from this affliction.  Have been haunted by an old Russian proverb that I heard:  He who chases two hares catches neither.  Story of my life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joopaloo
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004 10:08:23 AM »

I would suggest focusing on one thing to start out so that you can hone your craft and make it as special as possible. Personally, I am turned off by websites that sell a mix of every craft under the sun. I'd rather buy from a site that is dedicated to one thing because I think it shows more of a dedication to making the particular craft the best possible product.

Once you decide on a particular craft, then you can eventually add to your product line to create related products while still keeping with the original product-for instance, I create handbags and the related product lines can be totebags, cosmetic bags, checkbook covers, etc.

Another thing to consider would be to do a lot of research about what products are selling out there. You want to be able to create products that will sell but that have something a little different about them that will make them stand out.

You asked if people just fell into their craft or if they carefully planned it out. I sort of fell into making my handbags but I wish now that I had thought it out a little more since I am working now to restructuring my ideas and coming up with products that I hope will set me apart from all of the handbag websites out there.

I hope I was able to help a little. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Nutella Swirl Cupcakes
Fried Banana Dessert Recipe
How to Make a Faux Pecan Pie
Fool Friends with a Faux-Italian Feast
How to Make Salty and Sweet Snack Mix for Easter
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...