As I was walking in my Garden this morning - I discovered a fairy house. It was hidden under a hedge - she had taken so much effort in making it - I decided I just HAD to share it here - after all, beauty should be shared yes?
I do think the fairy has been ingenious - she made the chimney out of twigs found under the hedge - although as they were so tiny they didnt stand up too well - there is still a hole in the middle for the smoke to come out of - so it does work. The door to her house she has made from a leaf, and the handle is a slice of an acorn. She has also enchanted a mouse and a hedgehog to make them shrink so she can have some pets for company - fairies are very rare in this part of the world.
A couple of detail shots (which show up all the bits I got paint where I didnt want paint - my only excuse is it is SO tiny, still kind of gutted by them - with how many times I tried to sort it all - and how many hours I spent on it!!!!! Am actually really disappointed having seen the close up pics there is more paint in places it shouldn't be than I had noticed - and the varnish has blurred some of the detail!
The green on the side of the stem of the toadstool was put on deliberately - to look like grass.
The pond is made from tiny beads, then painted blue, and varnished with glitter varnish. The pebbles are from our garden, everything else is painted Daz.
And the promised sob story! I have always wanted a fairy house - so when I saw this challenge I thought it was the perfect time to make one. I have never been good with polymer clay - and certainly not painting tiny things - also our oven isnt working so I can't bake anything. So - with all this in mind, I went to my local craft store - and bought some coloured airdry clay. I then spent about 6 hours trying to make a tiny house with all the tiny elements - because things were so tiny - the clay kept drying as I was making things - which was a nightmare. Anyhow - I finally got it how I loved it - and left it overnight to dry - the next day it had dried - but as it had dried - the colours had gone really dull - so I decided I WOULD have to paint it anyway - 2 days and about 12 hours later - I was satisfied with it. I put it to the side of the table to dry - and tidied up my craft space - which was full of sewijng, fabric, clay, etc etc etc after I'd cleared up - it was time to varnish it. But wait - where had it gone? Well - it was lying outside in bits...my naughty Springer Spaniel had stolen it and decided to play with it - it is the first time she'd EVER stolen an ornament - it's normally stuffed toys or socks! Well - I sulked for about 5 minutes and then thought - Gah I better try again! ( I REALLY wanted a fairy house!) The night before I had bought some Daz (which is airdry clay but uncoloured) to make something for a swap I am involved in. So - as I would have to colour it whichever clay I used - I decided to use the Daz and then paint it. Luckily it was quicker to make this time as I knew what techniques I needed to use. again I left it over night to dry - and then took another 2 days and 12+ hours to paint - I kept getting colours in the wrong place - eg while painting the spots - I would get a bit of white on the red roof - while sorting that out - I would get red on a spot - and on aond on and on - eventually I just had to accept that it would not be completely perfect - I'm away for the weekend - and wanted to post it before I went - last night I was still putting varnish on at midnight!!!! They say everything happens for a reason - and I reckon they are right in this case - I am much happier with the second house than I was the first!
Anyway - think I've chatted long enough - so will leave this with one last comment - which is that I had made my first a long time before the fairy house on here already was posted - and the second was made - just not coloured and was almost an exact clone of the first - so despite there being some similarities (Roses, toadstool etc) I honestly did not see that until mine had been done.
two final photos; one to show you the size (although you'll have to forgive the mess of my craft mat!) and a shot of the initial one before it got destroyed - and I'm off out the door to go help at a dog show for the weekend!
(I prefer the chimney on this one - but that is all - the white spots of the toadstool are made from the top of pins - and the stones, as in the second one - are from our garden)