A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3 Dresses (6 pictures)  (Read 3162 times)
Tags for this thread: dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gaylefrancis
« on: September 05, 2013 11:41:43 AM »

I don't have any patterns for these. I learned to crochet to my measurements years ago for a pencil skirt tutorial that was up at crochetme, and I've gotten pretty good at making stuff that fits me pretty well. Let's take the tour, shall we?

Yarns:

Caron Simply Soft (black)
Red Heart Super Saver (pink)

Hook:
H-hook

Notes: This entire dress is one long screw up. I started out trying to make a halter with the Caron, and when I realized I bungled it, I added the pink parts to try and salvage it, and when that still wasn't working quite right, I added the skirt just to see if I could actually turn it into something I'd wear, and lo and behold, I did. I have to be careful how I bend over in it, as the neckline gets a bit risque, and I'm still not sure I totally love how the back turned out, but every time I wear it, I get a compliment or two, so I call it a win.

There's a string of elastic crocheted in the pink accent at the waist to help keep the whole thing looking properly fitted. I think the Simply Soft works really well for garments, but I'm not sure I'd use the Super Saver again. It works in this instance, but I find it's better for hats and scarves and arm warmers and stuff that you're gonna wash a lot so it'll soften up a bit more.

Yarn:
Lion Brand Pound of Love

Hook:
G-Hook

Notes: I wanted to practice the V-Stitch, which I'd never worked with before, and I also had enough yarn to make basically anything, so I figured another dress couldn't hurt. This was made from the waist up, then the skirt was added, and finally I added the neck piece. The neck piece was attached on one side and worked in rows of V-stitch to compliment the v-stitch at the waist. I wanted some sort of small decoration around the neck, and the neck piece was too long anyway, so I worked it into a flat knot and then sewed down the loose end.

This one's actually just a little loose in the back, so it has a tendency to slip down an inch or so. It doesn't slip so much I get nervous in it, though. Pretty sure there's hidden elastic in the waist of this one, too.

Yarn:
Patons Classic Wool Worsted (light blue)
Caron Simply Soft (dark blue)

Hook: H-hook

Notes: My pride and joy, specifically styled to call back to Joan Halloway's wardrobe on Mad Men. This is easily the best dress I've ever made. I started at the waist, worked my way to the shoulders, then added the skirt. The sleeves came next, and I'm very proud of how they turned out, as sleeves and I have a long, acrimonious relationship. It's all double crochet, save a few rounds of single at the waist (to tuck away the ever-present elastic), and the trim is also single crochet. I hand sewed the buttons, and the top can be unbuttoned, though it's got just enough ease I usually just slip it on and off.

It's a bit warm for summer, as it's wool, but it's a perfect fall and winter dress.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013 07:35:49 PM »

Yes, the third is my favorite, too.  The blue looks very pretty on you.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013 11:28:31 PM »

Love your crochet dresses. The black and pink is stunning but I also really love the pale blue.  I'd love to know how you crochet elastic into your work. Do you use shirring elastic or a firmer hat elastic? And do you crochet over it or crochet it with the yarn as a double strand?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaylefrancis
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013 09:00:46 AM »

Love your crochet dresses. The black and pink is stunning but I also really love the pale blue.  I'd love to know how you crochet elastic into your work. Do you use shirring elastic or a firmer hat elastic? And do you crochet over it or crochet it with the yarn as a double strand?

I think it's just shirring elastic. I honestly had no idea about hat elastic, though I may look for it and see how it does. I crochet the elastic in by tucking it against the row I've just worked and then working the stitches around it. Row 51 of this patten is actually where I first did it:

http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/88273.aspx

It can be a little tricky because you need to make sure the elastic doesn't turn while you're working. I keep ending up with a wee bit extra lately, and I can't figure out why, but if you've got a little patience, it works well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013 10:26:32 AM »

Thanks for that.  I must give it a try. It is nice to have the waist stay fitted without using a drawstring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pennydreadfull

Craft or Die \m/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013 04:58:01 AM »

OMG these are all so beautiful!! I love the 3rd one best I think.  You've got some serious crochet skills lady!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters - Francisco Goya

Always willing to do personal swaps!
http://pinterest.com/jamietoohey/
Instagram - jamietoohey
alinanicoleta
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013 12:02:22 AM »

Are all so beautiful , but the second is my favourite  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaylefrancis
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013 12:19:01 AM »

OMG these are all so beautiful!! I love the 3rd one best I think.  You've got some serious crochet skills lady!!

Thank you! That third one has become a favorite fall dress. It's basically like wearing a blanket. I assure you, all these skills are just regular practice mixed with a determination to not frog if I can possibly help it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaylefrancis
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013 12:24:27 AM »

Are all so beautiful , but the second is my favourite  Wink

Thank you! I think the second one will get worn a bit more when I get a strapless bra that actually stays where I need it to. Smiley I do like the whole look of it a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ceralea
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013 12:46:29 AM »

That's an awe inspiring amount of work!  The shaping on them all looks lovely.
Something to aim for -  I haven't moved beyond a (baby) hat yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Camera Set Up
Camera Raw Processing
Camera and Lighting Set Up
Adjusting the Contours of an Image
Adding Luminosity to an Image
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...