A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advice on how to price wares......  (Read 2225 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chris in VT
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014 04:01:24 AM »

There's always going to be a lot of competition for the simplest of crafts. Hats, scarves, baby sized blankets. These are easy to craft, so naturally folks will be attracted to make a quick buck for a quick craft. Unless you're an other-worldly marketing demon of some kind, you're not going to make a lot of profit from what everyone else is doing. You have to set yourself apart, either in your marketing or your craft, or accept the fact that you're going to be just one of the crowd.
BINGO!!

My wife and I work very hard to be the only ones at the shows making what we make. I have my product, and she has hers. Many times we'll take two spaces and since our work is so different, nobody would know we're a married couple. Just two crafters side by side. But nobody else in the show has what we're selling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudio s.com
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014 04:59:05 PM »

I hope you will show us examples of your crafts some day, Chris.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014 03:55:14 AM »

My website is at the bottom of all my posts. www.shadypinestudio s.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adagia520
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014 06:59:41 AM »

If you find a way to make an item faster, is it better to lower the price or give yourself a raise and continue with the established price?  It used to take me 4 hours to make a doll and now I can get one finished in about 2.5 hours.  At their current price they're not flying off the shelves but they do sell regularly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014 03:29:51 AM »

If you find a way to make an item faster, is it better to lower the price or give yourself a raise and continue with the established price?  It used to take me 4 hours to make a doll and now I can get one finished in about 2.5 hours.  At their current price they're not flying off the shelves but they do sell regularly.
First you determine the 'market value' of your product. And sometimes it's so low it isn't worth making if it's time intensive.

After the value has been determined, you find as many ways as possible to lower your costs as well as time spent. Buying raw materials in bulk to save 50% over retail costs for example. And of course finding a faster way to make it thus saving time.

Oh and a little off topic, but I go to my website first thing every day and this morning was our 3,000th web order.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WeeFreeRhie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014 12:11:07 PM »

And we can spend hours talking about China, but crafters don't stop being crafters once they become successful. They still think up and make things, they just use more machines to do it. I object to cheap goods that fall apart in 5 minutes, but there's a really fine line there between craft and factory crap. Interesting when you think about it.

I never have, until I read this discussion. Your answer is giving me a lot to think about. You're right, the line is pretty thin, and it seems to be very personal. One person's 'hand-made' is another's 'factory made' or at least 'machine made'. As a con goer I think the only answer that would keep me from buying from someone is if it was a straight reseller of a craft or if they used a machine for the bulk of the creative work, like just copying and pasting two images together to call it art, or based their fan music video completely off of a template with little or no imagination of their own involved. I guess I draw the line between 'labor saving' and 'imagination substitute'. But I think everyone draws that differently, and for the most part, I'm OK with that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yippie-ki-yay FELLOW CRAFTERS! Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Interview for a Documentary
How to Shoot an Interview
Recording Room Tones
How to Use Reflectors
How to Get the Right Depth of Field
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...