A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to change the size of a knitting pattern  (Read 578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

deise girl
« on: September 01, 2013 01:57:39 AM »

Hi All,

I have a problem, I'm not a very experience knitter, but I've been making double tailed santa hats (from the Big Bang Theory) and people have started asking me to make them for their children and babies and so on.  And I have no idea how to change the pattern from adult to child size.

the link to the pattern is below I hope it works.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3G-InohrdWiYTg2ZDYxZGUtODA0NC00YTllLWFkNzEtNjkxODFjZmZlYTA0/edit?hl=en&authkey=CMPDndEN

can anyone help me with this please Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013 07:16:27 AM »

At 4 sts per inch, 96 sts is going to make it 24" around which is quite large. You can use thinner yarn and smaller needles to downsize, or you can use less sts. Take your sts per inch and multiply it by the head size less an inch or so and that's approximately the number of sts you need. You can use less stitches in the 'k24' sections, taking them down to 16 or 18 or something to reduce to the number that you need. For an approximate head size based on age, here's a chart - http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/headsize.html - though children's heads come in all sizes. My 4 yo grand daughter measures 20", while other kids her age may be 18". This chart - http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html - may be a little more precise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
deise girl
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013 04:56:24 PM »

Thank you Sue, I tried to knit a plain one without the cable (to save time) and it ended up way too big because it didn't have the twisted cable to tighten it up.  I am just finding it difficult to figure out how to do the tails, when I reduce the size.  I'm hoping I can figure it out. 

Thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook the Spinach and Finish the Palak Paneer
How to Cut and Pan Fry Paneer Cheese
How to Cook Paneer Cheese
How to Cook Garam Masala
How to Cook Palak Paneer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...