A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 89471 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #700 on: November 06, 2013 11:48:39 AM »

Challenge: DA - Have a Drink at the Hog's Head
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Turkey Chili for Weekend Workdays!

Brief Description:  In my Costume Shop we have what we call "Crunch Weekends", where we have so much work to do, that we come in over the weekend (just the stitchers and I), to get things done without the less experienced students around.  (Not that we don't love the less experienced students, but they do need a LOT of hand holding & babysitting.)  On these Crunch Weekends I usually bring in breakfast for the crew, and my co-worker Shura usually provides lunch.  This past weekend I was on lunch duty though, and since it's actually starting to get cold here I decided to do a nice big batch of Turkey Chili.  This batch fed 4 hungry college students, my co-worker & I, and even my large Midwestern husband.  With leftovers for today's lunch! 

3lb. package ground turkey or ground chicken
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 14 oz. cans black beans, drained & rinsed
2 14 oz. cans red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
2 4 oz. cans of diced green chilies (or 2-3 fresh jalapenos, diced)
1 14-16oz. can tomato sauce
1 large red onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1-2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 teaspoons Onion Powder
2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon Cumin
2 teaspoons dried Oregano
1-2 teaspoons Coriander
1-2 Tablespoons Smoked Paprika
Salt
Pepper

For this recipe you need a very large crockpot.  6 or 7 quarts in size. 

Start by dicing the bell pepper and onion, and mincing your garlic.  Heat a skillet on the stove top and add a dash of olive oil.  Once hot, add about of your diced onion, and sautee until fragrant.  Add in ⅓ of the ground turkey, breaking it up into smaller pieces.  Season with some of your chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, coriander and paprika. 

While the meat is cooking, drain and rinse your beans and place them in the crockpot.  Add the tomatoes, green chilies, bell pepper and of the onion.

Once the first batch of mean has been browned, add it to the crockpot.  Repeat with the remaining onion and ground turkey, seasoning to taste along the way.  By cooking the meat in batches, you dont crowd the pan, and ensure that all of it has been browned.  Add your last batch of browned meat to the crockpot, and add in additional spices and salt and pepper to taste.  Turn the crockpot on and let it go for 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.  Serve to hungry college students along with shredded cheddar, sour cream, sliced avocado and blue corn chips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #701 on: November 06, 2013 07:27:29 PM »

Challenge: Drink at the Hog's Head
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Nutritional Yeast Gravy
Brief Description:
This is my most favourite recipe of all time. It's practically a staple in our house and it is nutritionally complete when eaten with brown rice, legumes, and something green. (Well isn't everything?) Really budget friendly, so you can frugally feed a bunch of people, and super easy to do. Yay super easy!

4 cups full-flavored vegetable STOCK, not broth!
1 whole head garlic, unpeeled
1 carrot, halved (don't bother peeling it)
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon coarsely cracked black peppercorns
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons butter or margarine or olive oil (I use Land O' Lakes unsalted butter)
2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Brown rice
Black eyed peas, the edible kind

1.    Combine the stock, garlic, carrot, onion, bay leaf, and cracked peppercorns in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to a low simmer, and simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes. While stock is simmering, make brown rice and begin cooking black eyed peas. At the end of 45 minutes, poke your garlic with a skewer or knife to see that is soft. Or, if you have one around, you can ask a teenage boy to squeeze it for you because it won't dawn on him that it's really hot and then you can get mom points for teaching a life lesson about touching hot stuff.

2.             Pour the stock through a strainer, reserving the stock and the whole cooked garlic. Discard the onion and bay leaf. Eat molten hot carrot because it is delicious and make sure teenage boy doesn't see you do it. At the end of this step I usually end up with about 2-3 cups of stock.

3.    When the garlic is cool enough to handle, cut the end off the garlic bulb and squeeze the soft garlic cloves out of their skins directly into the strained stock. They should be all mushy. Whisk in the nutritional yeast and paprika and reheat over low heat.

4.    Time to make a roux! Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a skillet and cook it gently for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it is bubbly. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring almost constantly, until the flour paste browns slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. In a steady stream slowly pour in the hot strained stock, whisking constantly. Do it slowly or it'll get lumpy and funky. Sometimes you'll have more stock than needed but just eye-ball it. Simmer gently until very hot and thickened, about 12 minutes. If you want a thicker gravy, cook it just a little longer. Season with salt and pepper.

5.              Your rice and beans should be finished so pile all of it together in a bowl and enjoy! It's really good if you also add cooked collard greens or wilted spinach, but I didn't have either so asparagus tonight. Yummo!

Love all of the recipes posted here! Someone really needs to make the HPC cookbook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #702 on: November 06, 2013 10:39:53 PM »

Okay, so I knew this was gonna be a struggle since I suck at both cooking and baking.  But here goes...

Challenge: DA - Have a Drink at the Hog's Head
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Fondant Topped Cupcakes
Brief Description: A few weeks ago I bought fondant cupcakes for my husband and they were a big success.  When one of the girls I sometimes babysit was having her birthday while I would be there for a couple of days this week (including yesterday - her birthday), she requested fondant cupcakes again.  This time I decided to give it a go myself - at least, give the fondant a try.  The cake was still out of a box  Cheesy

So the yellow cupcakes were from Duncan Hines and I used a prepared whipped buttercream icing under the fondant.

My fondant was a marshmallow one which supposedly doesn't hold as long as other fondants but was super delicious last night (and, yes, today), so we'll see how it goes.  But I figured with just some circles of fondant topping each cupcake, it was a good time to try my first time with fondant.

Here goes (I followed the recipe on the Wilton website.  I do think in the future I may try it with homemade marshmallows which seems like the only thing I'm good at).

Ingredients:

1 package (16 ounces) white mini marshmallows (use a good quality brand)
2-5 tablespoons water
2 pounds (about 8 cups) sifted confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
Makes:

About 2 pounds marshmallow fondant.

Instructions:

step 1
To make marshmallow fondant, place marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds on high; stir until mixed well. Continue microwaving 30 seconds more; stir again. Continue until melted (about 2 1/2 minutes).

step 2
Place 3/4 of the confectioners' sugar on top of the melted marshmallow mixture. Fold sugar into marshmallow mixture. Flavoring can be added at this point if desired. Place solid vegetable shortening in easily accessed bowl so you can reach into it with fingers as you are working. Grease hands and counter GENEROUSLY; turn marshmallow mixture onto counter. Start kneading like you would dough. Continue kneading, adding additional confectioners' sugar and re-greasing hands and counter so the fondant doesn't stick. If the marshmallow fondant is tearing easily, it is too dry; add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time) kneading until fondant forms a firm, smooth elastic ball that will stretch without tearing, about 8 minutes.

step 3
It's best to allow Marshmallow Fondant to sit, double-wrapped, overnight. Prepare the fondant for storing by coating with a thin layer of solid vegetable shortening, wrap in plastic wrap and then place in resealable bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Marshmallow Fondant will keep well in refrigerator for several weeks.

(I did NOT let it sit in the fridge overnight but I did start early yesterday and they were in for probably about 6 hours)

step 4
When not working with fondant, make sure to keep it covered with plastic wrap or in a bag to prevent it from drying out. When ready to use, knead fondant until smooth. Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick.

step 5
To color fondant: If you need to tint the entire batch of fondant, add a little icing color to the melted marshmallow mixture before adding confectioners' sugar. For smaller amounts of tinted fondant, add icing color to portions of fondant as needed.

(I left mine white)

So then I just topped my cool cupcakes with the whipped buttercream and then just put basically a white circle of fondant on each cupcake.

I also decorated them - green is her favorite color!  I couldn't find green liners but I did get green ribbon and some pearls and she loved them!!

The end.   =)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #703 on: November 07, 2013 05:52:35 AM »

::Ant Bee looks longingly over all the pages and pages of crafty goodness. She has been trapped in a Malfoy Dungeon of "Real Job" life with... gasp!... no time for crafts!?!? She spends what little free time she has gazing fixedly into a small shard of glass- no, a piece of a mirror- desperately willing it to show her the blue eye that means help is on the way.::
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #704 on: November 07, 2013 01:08:45 PM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress...

Hello students & staff!  Just a quick fly-by posting to let you know that I will be putting up the new DA Challenge tomorrow.  I planned to do it today but I got caught up in fittings for my ballet, and now I have to head home to change my robes and then head down to Nashville to see food wizard Alton Brown doing a live show!!!!  It should be up first thing in the morning.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhistleFish
« Reply #705 on: November 07, 2013 09:58:19 PM »

Pinkleo - I love your squares! How do you get them to all be the same size even though you have so many different patterns? I think I'd royally mess that up somehow.
Ruler!  Seriously, I measure each square near the end and make adjustments (i.e. adding extra round of dcs or switching from a dc to hdc).  You could also cut out a template, out of say a cereal box.  And when making a ghan, I always use the same hook, no matter what the pattern says, so that my stitches are the same size square to square. (I almost always use an I hook for square hooking)

Wow! What great advice! I might venture into some different square patterns for my next blanket...thank you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #706 on: November 08, 2013 06:28:16 AM »

Challenge: Almond Bean
House: Ravenclaw
Project; paper flowers
So, this coming Hogsmede weekend, I have a date *squee*
It's our third date, and I think it's been going pretty well so far - and I kind of wanted to take some flowers for her, but that seemed... sort of boring... so I made a bunch of paper flowers instead. Each one has different paper weight and patterning - there are 6 flowers, with stems made from galvanised wire, and a 'vase' made from brown paper and a scrap of lace

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #707 on: November 08, 2013 06:33:35 AM »

Congratulations to all of you who participated in the Join the DA - Have a Drink in the Hog's Head Challenge!  

(I did not make a list this time.  Please forgive me, I only got a few hours sleep...)  Here's your shiny new badge!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #708 on: November 08, 2013 06:37:33 AM »

~*Sign the Parchment*~
November 8th-30th

"I I think everybody should write their name down, just so we know who was here. But I also think that we all ought to agree not to shout about what we're doing. So if you sign, you're agreeing not to tell Umbridge or anybody else what we're up to." - Hermoine Grainger

This next challenge should be a real doss for everyone.  Hopefully a nice way to wind down the semester.  As easy as signing your name really.  For this challenge you will need to create something in your 'signature craft'.  The craft that you are most comfortable and familiar with.  You may create anything within that medium, no restrictions.  If you have more than one craft that is your signature, you may pick either medium.  If this is somehow still unclear, think of it this way.  If two Craftsters were to have a conversation about you, your signature craft would be how they'd identify you.  It would probably go something like this:

Abbeeroad:  Hey noodle-bug, do you know Mistress Jennie?
noodle-bug: You mean that girl who makes all the charm bracelets?

Yep, that girl who makes the charm bracelets.  So, if you were me, which you're not because you're you, but if you were me, then you'd craft a charm bracelet.  If you were pinkleo, you'd crochet something.  If you were Abbeeroad you'd probably tie-dye something.  Etc. etc.  So get going on signing that parchment!

***Please remember, you can choose to do any, all, or none of the Challenges and Challenge Series that come up.  The goal here is always to have fun and to be excited about our crafting!  None of the Challenges are intended to cause you stress or strife.  Even your Headmistresses do NOT plan to do ALL the things.  So craft on Friends, craft on.***

(P.S. ::waves enthusiastically:: Hi Abbee & noodle! Thanks for being my example Craftsters!)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013 09:38:16 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #709 on: November 08, 2013 06:47:26 AM »

Abbeeroad:  Hey noodle-bug, do you know Mistress Jennie?
noodle-bug: You mean that girl who makes all the charm bracelets?

I'd just wave my be-decked wrist at her and grin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Love Mayo? Try One of These 5 New Burger Toppings This Weekend!
The Perfect Hot Dog for Summer
Sunny Anderson Tops Your Burger With New Ketchup Recipes
3 Different Ways to Grill & Prepare Corn
For a Winter Weeknight: Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...