A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,460
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 92420 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #620 on: October 25, 2013 05:44:10 PM »

Happy Advanced Studies Friday!!

Still working on my Homonculous Charm to protect the precious Christmas trees and my 5 littlest nieces and nephews from each other.  My wand work seems to finally be doing better and I am SO close:

- I need to do the trees, but that's just going to consist of cutting them each out and stitching them onto a backcloth so they can hang on the wall and stitching 10 pieces of velcro to each tree.

- I seem to have misplaced my snowflakes.  Like, all five of them, so they're together somewhere.  They haven't been sewn and stuffed but they have been embroidered so I'm hoping they show up this weekend - otherwise I'm starting them over.  I am THAT ready to be done with this.

- Otherwise, that's it!  I have embroidered and sewn the following ornaments: 5 candy canes, 5 poinsettia flowers, 5 holly pieces, 5 stars, 5 gingerbread men, 5 doves, 5 retro-style teardrop ornaments, 5 monogrammed round ornaments, and 5 golden snitches!

Yay!!!  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
WhistleFish
« Reply #621 on: October 25, 2013 07:07:48 PM »

HAPPY ADVANCED STUDIES FRIDAY!
I almost never take part in Advanced Studies Friday but I shall this evening! So here's my update on my OWL:

I'm making a granny square blanket out of some left over yarn from my last blanket. My original plan was to have it be 8x8 squares and I finished that earlier this week but I think I'd like it to be longer (maybe 8x10 or 8x11 squares?). I'm going to make it have a pretty fat border but I really just have lots of yarn left so why not? So...2-3 more rows and a border. My goal is to have it finished by the end of this semester to give Gryffindor a boost! (And so I can start all those Christmas presents!)

I also found myself not wanting to crochet one of these past nights and didn't really know what I wanted to work on so I took a look at my class list for some inspiration and settled on this...

Class: Transfiguration
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Felt Hedgehog Ornament
Brief Description: Made a cute little hedgehog out of some leftover felt while catching up on New Girl. I'm not the best at felt by any means (I admit...he's a special looking hedgehog...haha) but it's alot of fun to make little things out of. Smiley
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: October 25, 2013 07:44:39 PM »

Hrmmm....  What about a "stained glass" bluebird, made out of paper and lighting gel, with a tiny fake votive candle behind it?  (Do you British folk call it gel?  The clear sheets of colored plastic one puts in theatrical lighting instruments?)  They give away swatch books of it here, and I've cut it up to make fake stained glass before.  And those battery powered fake votive candles you can find at $1 stores behind it, so you wouldn't have to wire something from scratch....  

Like this:
http://www.tmbstudios.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SWITCHSW147

or like this?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/97393340/design4soul-sculpted-bluebird-nightlight?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=glass_low&gclid=CK3h7Ku8s7oCFc-Y4AodaUQAQw

P.S.  Now I want a bluebird nightlight....  But I'd never be able to sleep if a nightlight was on.  I'd need to put it in another room...

P.P.S.  Here's what bluebirds look like!  There are a few types... I grew up with Eastern Bluebirds, but Mountain Bluebirds are stunning too!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluebird

I have no idea how to do the bird at all - I though LEDs, but... well... I don't think they'd big enough to make the whole bird glow, and a partially glowing bluebird might be super scary. Unless... maybe a glowing belly? I actually have zero concept of what a blue bird looks like... except being blue (I presume). Anyway, birdhouse crafting is under-way while I ponder on the bird to go in it.

And you have awesome taste in music, clearly - love Kristen Ch.... (here abandon all name spelling attempts) Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013 07:47:33 PM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #623 on: October 25, 2013 08:25:05 PM »

Wow I am loving everything! I've been gone a while, I know - another wedding that we were prepping for this weekend. I have made some headway on a swap but nothing really for me. I can't show what I've done till I've sent it and they've opened it, so ah well. I haven't heard back on my change in O.W.L. yet, but I know that our headmistress is sick and I'm not worried. I've been working on it anyway and I'm "almost" where I wanted to be with it this week. I should be there tomorrow. Then, all of this wedding stuff will be over with until the next one in January and I will have plenty of time to focus on crafting again.
Okey dokey! I'm off for now and think I'm gonna go work on a few more items for that swap...

And I LOVE the NEW Girl! I really only just discovered it on Netflix last week and it is so fun! I can't watch it unless the husband is home, though, because he loves it too haha! Blows my mind, but I'll take it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Magpirate
« Reply #624 on: October 25, 2013 09:04:05 PM »

Abbeeroad, your art quilt is wonderful!  The saloon doors were such a clever idea.  I like the spiral quilting in the sky, and the boot on the back looks great!

Noodle-bug, the birdhouse project sounds like it'll be awesome.  I also love that song, and I can't wait to see your take on it!

Tiamatfire, great job on the sweater!  I love the little owls, that's a cute pattern.

Aww, WhistleFish, that little hedgehog is adorable!

Advanced studies Friday update!  I realized that in order to make the crenelated bits of my tower work I'd have to thin down the two upper tiers quite a bit, or end up with my crenelations smack up against the base of each tier.  So I did that, and I started carving the layers of stone and placing my windows.

I'm trying to preserve as much of the natural bark texture as I can.  I particularly like this bit on the side with the moss on it.

Now I get to carve a bunch of rocks!  Yay.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #625 on: October 26, 2013 02:18:26 AM »

That hedgehog is so cute!

Ok, I *think* I've worked out what I'll do for the bluebird - I ordered a few supplies last night so I'll play around with them when they arrive - I'm thinking felt with an appliqu belly, led behind the belly, and a connector somewhere on the tail to complete the circuit when he sits in the birdhouse, so that the battery pack can be hidden inside the house. I love that sculpted one! so cute. Thanks for brainstorming Smiley

Class: Frog Choir (& Diagon Alley)
House: ravenclaw
Project: Papercrafted Notebook
I'd never done any papercrafting before, so I signed up for a journal making class, and produced this:

I stamped the cover with texture stuff and stained it (green of course, for our froggy friends), then made the three signatures and again stamped and stained their wraps:

then I bound it using the 'kiss' journal technique.
We didn't have time for decorating in the class, so i did that at home, adding a Deathly Hallows symbol (using the stamp made for me by the gorgeous Mistress Jenny), and a little 'Imagine' token - and a brad to close and ribbon to tie securely - I also made some linings for the inside covers (to hide the back of the brad) using tissue paper and old potter books

This is what I'm offering as a Prize during the end of term feast - so I hope you guys like it!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013 02:50:02 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: October 26, 2013 05:12:51 AM »

Oh man, I am so excited for today's post!  This is definitely one of my two most-favorite things I have put up on Craftster so far.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: History of Magic
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Black Lake mermaid
Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428573.0#axzz2iplgyLeq
Brief Description: Our assignment for HoM is to study some aspect of Hogwarts, and ever since I rode across the Black Lake with the other first-year students at the start of this term, I have been fascinated (and a little spooked) by this natural feature of Hogwarts' landscape.  One of the older students even told me that there are supposedly MERMAIDS living in the lake -- and when I went down to the lake to do some research, I discovered it's true!!!    I actually saw a real-life mermaid!  The one I met, though, looked a little... errr, "distressed".  She had scratches all over her body, and parts of her even looked like they had been sewn together?!?  Almost like a... zombie or something.  Lips sealed  I hope this isn't the work of some sinister dark magic... maybe I shouldn't be wondering around by myself so close to Halloween.

Project Picture:

I made this for my partner in the Creepy Cute Stuffie swap.  I had never made anything like this before, so it really pushed my crafting skill set, and was super fun to create to boot!  My partner said she liked creepy mermaids, and so I figured a zombie mermaid would be good.  My favorite parts are the tail (that bumpy texture on the paint was unexpected, though -- turns out I bought "velveteen finish" fabric paint, which activated when I used a blow dryer to speed the drying time) and her ridiculously long hair.

The upper body was re-conned from a $3 blank stuffed doll I found at Joann; I just chopped off the legs, and glued it into the tail I had made.  Good thing, too, because at first I was having the worst time trying to draft my own pattern for the upper body.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013 06:25:49 AM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #627 on: October 26, 2013 02:10:37 PM »

Class: October Detention (Brown)
House:Slytherin
Project Name: "Utidi" - Little Jawas
Brief Description: My husband decided (in his infinite trust in his crafty wife to get everything done in a timely manner) that our twin girls will be Jawas this year Halloween. The joy of a geeky household - you don't BUY Halloween Costumes, you MAKE them. Wink

So I bought brown fleece, 2 buttons ... and left everything to the last minute again (a habit with sewing for me... Shocked ). In the end I didn't even see how the full costume looked until the girls arrived at our Twin Club Halloween party today (they stayed at the grandparents overnight so I could finish the hoods, and hubby could make their "weapon straps".

Despite it being a "last minute quick fix" job and the bigger girl being in the smaller costume (thanks to hubby and grandparents) I was asked a couple of times today where we bought the costumes - and when I told them I made them myself there were a couple who said I could easily sell them after the girls had outgrown them (given seam allowance ... err, that would be after this Halloween! Wink ).

Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #628 on: October 26, 2013 03:28:30 PM »

dude, that mermaid's haor is epic. Nice work Smiley

and I love the jawa costumes! so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Nicajeanie
« Reply #629 on: October 26, 2013 04:09:00 PM »

The hedgehog is soooo cute and the jawas are adorable!

Challenge: Bertie Botts Pumpkin
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: I Love Pumpkin
Project Description: I baked a loaf of pumpkin bread and made a perler beads pumpkin candle holder.
Project Pictures:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Ever Oven Baked Tuna Casserole Recipe
Cheddar Apple Crisp Recipe
After Easter Cheddar Ham Casserole Recipe
Sweet Spicy Baked Chicken Tenders Recipe
Updated Homestyle Dumplings Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...